Author Topic: 223 ---DEER , Yes or NO  (Read 8889 times)

matthewwoo25

Re: 223 ---DEER , Yes or NO
« Reply #30 on: Oct 10, 2010, 06:43:41 PM »
absolutely guys our job as sportsmans is to make the best judgement possiable... also how would you feel if you had the buck of a lifetime in front of you i mean a SLAMMER your shaking like a leaf and you had 223 caliber rifle in your hand and you make a not so good shot on him and he gets away or wounded you will really wish you had that bigger caliber its a rookie mistake be smarter take the bigger one like a 300 mag no worries there you can shoot farther and do more damage no problems..

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
« Reply #31 on: Oct 10, 2010, 07:10:40 PM »
absolutely guys our job as sportsmans is to make the best judgement possiable... also how would you feel if you had the buck of a lifetime in front of you i mean a SLAMMER your shaking like a leaf and you had 223 caliber rifle in your hand and you make a not so good shot on him and he gets away or wounded you will really wish you had that bigger caliber its a rookie mistake be smarter take the bigger one like a 300 mag no worries there you can shoot farther and do more damage no problems..

I think I understand where you're going with this, but frankly this example is so absurd it's hard to take seriously.   So, you're going from a .223 to a .300 mag?  Does that mean .270, 30-30, .308 & .30-06 aren't viable calibers either?   If you don't take the sport seriously and are a bad marksman, then it's OK to compensate with a larger caliber?   

How about this:  Buy a weapon - Learn it's capabilities and limitations and then stay within them?   How about taking responsibility for your actions?  If you can't shoot a .223 accurately, I doubt very much you'll have much success with a .300 mag.   Shall I tell my dad who has been hunting for 65+ years and is one of the best shooters I've ever met that he can't hunt deer anymore simply because he can't handle his old .308 but has taken several deer with a .243?   

I agree that sportsman have a responsibility to the game we hunt - But that responsibility goes beyond choosing a caliber that will compensate for a poor shot.  There are few deer in North America bigger then those in Maine - And, I've seen a bunch killed without incident with .222, .223 & .243.   If you can't take a deer with a smaller caliber weapon, then it's you who needs to change, not the weapon. 

Nil Carborundum Illigetimi

Offline huntfishdrink

• Forked
« Reply #32 on: Oct 10, 2010, 07:27:21 PM »
I think I understand where you're going with this, but frankly this example is so absurd it's hard to take seriously.   So, you're going from a .223 to a .300 mag?  Does that mean .270, 30-30, .308 & .30-06 aren't viable calibers either?   If you don't take the sport seriously and are a bad marksman, then it's OK to compensate with a larger caliber?   

How about this:  Buy a weapon - Learn it's capabilities and limitations and then stay within them?   How about taking responsibility for your actions?  If you can't shoot a .223 accurately, I doubt very much you'll have much success with a .300 mag.   Shall I tell my dad who has been hunting for 65+ years and is one of the best shooters I've ever met that he can't hunt deer anymore simply because he can't handle his old .308 but has taken several deer with a .243?   

I agree that sportsman have a responsibility to the game we hunt - But that responsibility goes beyond choosing a caliber that will compensate for a poor shot.  There are few deer in North America bigger then those in Maine - And, I've seen a bunch killed without incident with .222, .223 & .243.   If you can't take a deer with a smaller caliber weapon, then it's you who needs to change, not the weapon.

well said.

Offline BigBuckTaker16

• 6 Pointer
  • It must be the "hat"
« Reply #33 on: Oct 10, 2010, 09:55:07 PM »
well said.
+1 I think forums need a like button like facebook LOL.
Iceshanty= AirManCam

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #34 on: Oct 11, 2010, 12:30:04 AM »

Totally disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #35 on: Oct 11, 2010, 12:31:37 AM »
By the way -1....................... ;)

Offline nyspike

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #36 on: Oct 11, 2010, 06:13:29 AM »

that dosent make very much sence ive shot deer with 100 grain arrows in the shoulder and recovered them a 223 has way more a** than a arrow. i would much rather hit a big buck in the shoulder with a 223 than in the got with a 270
not true at all the arrow has more penetrating power by far. apparently you have never shot an arrow and a bullet through a pail of sand. try it and see if you still believe.

and just for the record I have seen deer get away and go un-recovered with a 270 more than once, and I have seen a 22 drop them in there tracks
nypike on IS and MFF

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #37 on: Oct 11, 2010, 06:56:30 AM »
I wouldn't be bragging about shooting a deer with a 22. No one will ever convince me that head shooting a deer is ethical. If your not willing to wait for a good shot you shouldn't be hunting. If your not proficient with the gun or bow your carrying you shouldn't be hunting either.

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #38 on: Oct 11, 2010, 08:02:19 AM »
i use a 7mm mag as my deer rifle. i prefer it not just for the bigger caliber but its about the most flat shooting gun there is and at 300yrds. still has enough energy to cleanly kill a 1000lb. moose. the clearcuts we have around here you need a flat shooting gun and also be proficent at shooting long for those deer. imo .22 .24 .25 caliber guns dont have the energy to get the job done at those distances, and with the chance to get drawn for a moose up here it serves me dual purpose. i dont like the idea of a deer being wasted for being shot w/ a gun primarily designed for varmits, just to have it suffer needlessly and become coyote food. i think you owe it to the game you hunt to shoot the biggest caliber youre comfortable at shooting to put that game down quickly and as humanely as possible.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #39 on: Oct 11, 2010, 08:07:33 AM »
not true at all the arrow has more penetrating power by far. apparently you have never shot an arrow and a bullet through a pail of sand. try it and see if you still believe.

exactly, dont forget all the weight in the shaft bringing that energy with it.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #40 on: Oct 11, 2010, 08:22:23 AM »

Totally disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course you do , you alway's disagree with simple logic.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #41 on: Oct 11, 2010, 08:40:53 AM »
223  Rem. for Deer what do u think ?????????

If it's all you have and it means the difference of going hunting and not by all means use it. There are many more suitable rounds as mentioned here however You can certainly ethically harvest deer with one.

Heck we have a 3 page debate on shooting deer with buckshot or not ,and that's full of .33 projectile's. If you know your and your firearm's limitations there should be no issue. 
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #42 on: Oct 11, 2010, 08:45:44 AM »
Hey CP how many shots did you take at the buck before you killed him 2 or 3? Also, what caliber rifle was that as well? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #43 on: Oct 11, 2010, 08:50:04 AM »
That doesn't count because the deer was running, and you can't use a fully automatic rifle in NY ;D

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #44 on: Oct 11, 2010, 09:00:53 AM »
That doesn't count because the deer was running, and you can't use a fully automatic rifle in NY ;D
I thought it was standing still on the first shot? Guess I was mistaken.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal