Author Topic: 223 ---DEER , Yes or NO  (Read 8890 times)

Offline BigBuckTaker16

• 6 Pointer
  • It must be the "hat"
Re: 223 ---DEER , Yes or NO
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2010, 09:01:52 AM »
I've killled a nice 8 pointer with a 223, he only went probably 40 yards, and had a real nice blood trail there too.
Iceshanty= AirManCam

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2010, 09:49:51 AM »
There is something to say for a caliber that puts the bullet where you want it, you can shoot a bigger gun and not hit the deer where you want it and it will go far farther then a well placed shot from even a 223.
X2. I just had a .223 given to me and i plan on trying to fill a doe tag with it this yr. As for anything under a .270 i dont know about that for whitetail hunting. Plenty of calibers out there smaller than a .270 that gets the job done no problem. My uncle has killed numerous deer with a .243 and they either drop stone cold dead or they dont run far. All about shot placement  ;)

halfrack33

« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2010, 09:57:33 AM »
A .223 would work just fine. I've said this a hundred timeso n here, but one of my best buddies uses a 22-250 solely for whitetail. I've been with him when he's shot them and they drop within 50 yards. Dropped a huge buck over 200 lbs in its tracks.

Offline Zorros Shack

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2010, 10:09:29 AM »
I would say yes and no. If you have a good gun and can hit the deer in the vitals yes. But for a small kid who is not a great shot maybe no. The reason is it's a small round good for coyotes and varmints. I have a big 7.62x54r round also .311 it called. But it can still take a deer. It's up to you if it ethical for me I could shoot a deer with one. Well happy hunting!

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2010, 11:33:20 AM »
I would say yes and no. If you have a good gun and can hit the deer in the vitals yes. But for a small kid who is not a great shot maybe no. The reason is it's a small round good for coyotes and varmints. I have a big 7.62x54r round also .311 it called. But it can still take a deer. It's up to you if it ethical for me I could shoot a deer with one. Well happy hunting!

I started with a 243,good kids/starter gun IMO!!!!But seen a buck shot squarely in the shoulder and got away......Need more power to penetrate bone........

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
« Reply #20 on: Oct 10, 2010, 12:59:07 PM »

I started with a 243,good kids/starter gun IMO!!!!But seen a buck shot squarely in the shoulder and got away......Need more power to penetrate bone........

Your example speaks more about the hunter then the weapon - Why is that person trying to break a shoulder down with a .243?  Or perhaps it was a poorly placed shot?  Either way, it's the hunter who didn't perform well in that situation, not the weapon.  Hit a deer in the vitals with a .243 and it's going down.   Know the capabilities of the weapon your using and then stay within them...
   Nil Carborundum Illigetimi

Offline myemmy

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Oct 10, 2010, 01:08:17 PM »
Just , my opinion  the 243 IS agood caliber for Whitetails  as such as the 22-250, the 257 Roberts but  experience is the key also with the weapon of choice.

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Oct 10, 2010, 01:21:23 PM »
Your example speaks more about the hunter then the weapon - Why is that person trying to break a shoulder down with a .243?  Or perhaps it was a poorly placed shot?  Either way, it's the hunter who didn't perform well in that situation, not the weapon.  Hit a deer in the vitals with a .243 and it's going down.   Know the capabilities of the weapon your using and then stay within them...

Agree,but a 270 would of dropped it in its tracks!!!!!!At the least broke both shoulders and would be in-capable of traveling anywhere......

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Oct 10, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »
Ive seen a .243 put a 170lb 6pt down no problem and the deer was hit square in the shoulder blade. The shoulder bone is thick but i just cant see a 100gr bullet not putting a deer down if its hit in the RIGHT spot in the shoulder.

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Oct 10, 2010, 03:26:31 PM »
Ive seen a .243 put a 170lb 6pt down no problem and the deer was hit square in the shoulder blade. The shoulder bone is thick but i just cant see a 100gr bullet not putting a deer down if its hit in the RIGHT spot in the shoulder.

There is no way i would want a 100 grain bullet hitting the front shoulder muscles of a big buck,and then expect it to drop!!!! :o

Offline don0764

• Spiked
« Reply #25 on: Oct 10, 2010, 04:20:07 PM »

There is no way i would want a 100 grain bullet hitting the front shoulder muscles of a big buck,and then expect it to drop!!!! :o

that dosent make very much sence ive shot deer with 100 grain arrows in the shoulder and recovered them a 223 has way more a** than a arrow. i would much rather hit a big buck in the shoulder with a 223 than in the got with a 270

matthewwoo25

« Reply #26 on: Oct 10, 2010, 04:22:35 PM »
everyone knows a 223 will kill the deer why take the chance with a small caliber. A 22 long rifle will take a deer down too, me personally I would not take the chance of wounding a deer and making it suffer because of my decision to use a 223 everyone eats there own though. i will tell you if every hunter in ny was using a 223 this year there would be more wounded deer then deer taken.not everyone hits a deer right where they are aiming everytime if they do there either lying or very very lucky.

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Oct 10, 2010, 05:12:31 PM »
everyone knows a 223 will kill the deer why take the chance with a small caliber. A 22 long rifle will take a deer down too, me personally I would not take the chance of wounding a deer and making it suffer because of my decision to use a 223 everyone eats there own though. i will tell you if every hunter in ny was using a 223 this year there would be more wounded deer then deer taken.not everyone hits a deer right where they are aiming everytime if they do there either lying or very very lucky.
X2..you can be the best shot in the world off the bench at the range but once in the woods and a buck walks in front of you things can be very different with your nerves..i know iv made some very bad shots in the past(guts) and with my 30-06 165 hornady bt have gone a ways but had enough blood to track the deer down to put one more round in him.big holes mean bigger blood trail imo

Offline Tom Leitz

• Forked
« Reply #28 on: Oct 10, 2010, 05:27:30 PM »
I agree with others and wouldn't use a .223.

It has nothing to do with how good of a shot you are.

Plain and simple, no one is perfect.  Why not give yourself a safety margin in case your shot isn't perfect?

Offline BigBuckTaker16

• 6 Pointer
  • It must be the "hat"
« Reply #29 on: Oct 10, 2010, 05:52:09 PM »
Couldn't have said it better myself. I've seen .22's kill deer with a well placed shot. I'd be more than confident hunting with my .223 for deer. If I didn' t have the money to have more than one rifle I would consider buying a .223 so it could serve as my predator gun as well. But thats just my 02.
Iceshanty= AirManCam

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal