Author Topic: Northern Zone State Land  (Read 9751 times)

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
Re: Northern Zone State Land
« Reply #30 on: Sep 10, 2010, 03:01:47 PM »
I hunt the indian lake area quite a bit.  Had some good success over the years, but put in my time.

My recommendations are (1) to pick a place and learn that particular place very well.  I know a few square miles of woods, including where the few oak trees are, like the back of my hand, and (2) get out of the tree stand and stalk.  Much easier to get closer by stalking in the northern zone.  Plus, it is a great way to learn the country.

iv tried learning the area i hunt. i dont know if your familiar with bullhead pond but i usually take that trail in and work off to the left. i have hiked around bullhead and found some really big deer tracks but i never really find any accumulation of deer siign. i might just be looking in the wrong spot or may just not have the time to hunt it properly i might get back out ther again this year but i think im gonna look in some other areas too. if you ahve any suggestions about that area im always open to them.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #31 on: Sep 10, 2010, 03:24:24 PM »
Thats more of a yard area Step2.

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Sep 10, 2010, 05:20:05 PM »
yard area??

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #33 on: Sep 10, 2010, 05:30:15 PM »
yard area??

Its a place where the deer go when the winter gets bad. They yard up..   Wintering grounds..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #34 on: Sep 10, 2010, 05:44:55 PM »
learn something new every day

Offline Tom Leitz

• Forked
« Reply #35 on: Sep 14, 2010, 09:30:24 PM »
If you are hunting the bullhead pond area I am about 10 miles away from you.  I generally hunt state land to the south of Abanakee.

I can't say much about the exact areas I hunt, except that I have found ridges back from any roads that have mature oak and beech trees that reliably make nuts.  Didn't find these without a lot of walking.

That is my recommendation.  Put in the time and you will be rewarded.

I've generally filled my tags.  Last year was the exception.  Everyone I talked to last year had a hard time even seeing a tail.  Hopefully the mild winter will help things a bit this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal