Author Topic: Crossbow Bill Passes in New York....  (Read 11206 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Crossbow Bill Passes in New York....
« on: Jul 05, 2010, 05:21:50 PM »
He signed it in today...  Not sure how I feel about it yet... What do you guys think?
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Crossbow Bill Passes in New York....
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2010, 05:29:16 PM »
Will it have it's own season or can you use it all thru archery season? They just made it were you can use them throughout archery in MD. It used to have it's own designated season. I personally think that stinks but that's just my opinion. Now I will have even more pressure were I hunt early.
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2010, 05:39:13 PM by drobertsinMaryland »

Offline deerme117

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2010, 05:55:31 PM »
http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20100703/SPORTS/7030333/Field+notes++State+approves+crossbow+hunting

July 3, 2010

Field notes: State approves crossbow hunting

New York's Assembly and Senate have passed legislation that lays the groundwork for a crossbow big game hunting season in the state starting in October, 2011.
The legislation (A.924E/S.793B), which passed the Assembly on June 29 and will be forwarded to the governor's desk for final approval, empowers the Department of Environmental Conservation to allow the use of crossbows in the firearms deer and bear seasons throughout the state (except in bow-only Westchester and Suffolk counties).
A stipulation that would have allowed crossbows to be used in all big-game hunting seasons (including archery) on private land, was stricken from the legislation just before the final vote.
The legislation also calls for crossbow instruction to be included in hunter safety courses in the future. The bills include a sunset clause calling for the regulations to be reviewed after two years before being considered for permanent status.
Local Assemblywoman Donna Lupardo (D-Endwell) was a sponsor of the legislation in the Assembly and Cliff Crouch (R-Bainbridge) is listed as a multi-sponsor.
Crossbows must use a bolt (arrow) at least 14 inches in length and must be equipped with a safety mechanism.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2010, 08:06:57 PM »
Looks like it won't ruin Archery season so I could care-a-less, during regular gun season have at it, personally I have no interest in it, but if someone wants to substitute a crossbow for a shotgun or rifle sounds like it would be a fun challenge...now those knuckelheads need to fix our economy, and lower our taxes... ;)
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

FrankM

« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2010, 10:21:19 AM »
As long as it's not during the regular bow season its OK.   Crossbows are not archery nor are they even remotely traditional hunting implements.  If the Pope and Young club does not recognize them they have no place in the regular archery season.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2010, 12:18:21 PM »
I agree, I don't want to see them in the archery season either. One proposal was to make them legal on private property during archery, but fortunately it was removed. Looks like they will be allowed whenever a muzzleloader is, that's fine by me.

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2010, 02:32:54 PM »
Not sure yet,I'm justy waiting for a bow course in my area..

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2010, 06:40:56 PM »
This is just typical governmental babysteps. Only a matter of time before they are used during archery or have a season of their own.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2010, 07:48:25 PM »
As long as it's not during the regular bow season its OK.   Crossbows are not archery nor are they even remotely traditional hunting implements.  If the Pope and Young club does not recognize them they have no place in the regular archery season.

ditto!
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2010, 08:25:35 PM »
This is just typical governmental babysteps. Only a matter of time before they are used during archery or have a season of their own.
Could not agree more! I saw it here in MD, I bet within 5 years you will see it. I call it the sneaky Pete.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2010, 08:41:35 PM »
Boy I hope not Drobs...  I think they would be fine in gun or there own season... Not in archery season... I think I would even use one during gun season..It seems like most of us feel the same way...   
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2010, 08:55:21 PM »
I hope I'm wrong Raquette but it's all about the money. This year I will look forward to many people in the woods Sept. 15th. ::)

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Jul 06, 2010, 09:02:12 PM »
Won't go over well with the supporters of the crossbow. Even though it isn't a traditional implement, you still basically have to get close. So that means we will have totally camo clad hunters in the woods during gun season. I know there are some already. But most are finding that the use of blaze orange really is an affective way to curb accidents.
As for being taught in regular hunter safety, wrong!!! It is still a bow device. Demanding different ways of follow up, tracking, and use of a bow type device. Some instructors, do gun only.
They really and readily admit to knowing nothing about bow. Not good to have these people getting a two minute instruction and sent into the woods. Should still require a bow hunter safety course!!! As well as hunter safety!!

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2010, 05:12:52 AM »
Won't go over well with the supporters of the crossbow. Even though it isn't a traditional implement, you still basically have to get close. So that means we will have totally camo clad hunters in the woods during gun season. I know there are some already. But most are finding that the use of blaze orange really is an affective way to curb accidents.
As for being taught in regular hunter safety, wrong!!! It is still a bow device. Demanding different ways of follow up, tracking, and use of a bow type device. Some instructors, do gun only.
They really and readily admit to knowing nothing about bow. Not good to have these people getting a two minute instruction and sent into the woods. Should still require a bow hunter safety course!!! As well as hunter safety!!

Sounds like the argument to infiltrate the regular archery season??? Keep it in "Hunter Safety" Course and out of Regular Archery season.
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »
No it isn't. Just if they are going to do it they might as well be taught to do it right!!
To be honest I feel if you want to use one and buy the tag you should have to retake the bow course with the crossbow added to it!!!
Bet that would make a few reconcider. What it boils down to is what we think or feel doesn't really matter. They will do as they see fit and please no matter what.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal