Author Topic: new deer seasons in new york  (Read 10485 times)

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
Re: new deer seasons in new york
« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2009, 04:39:35 PM »
oh you dont have to tell me about passin up deer so the guy on the next property can shoot it....i deal with that every yr.....with antler restriction or earn a buck chances are he wont be able to legally shoot it either.....we dont have a big poaching problem where i live only one guy who has been accused a couple times but other than him there arent many poachers that i hear about.....so i dont think the poaching will be too big of a factor here.....i would like to see more 3 1/2 year olds with a decent amt of 4 1/2s, im not lookin to shoot 160 inch bucks every year but like i said i dont like having to shoot a 4 or spike every yr.....the average deer here doesnt make it to 2 1/2 and they are usually 4s or small racked 6s with an occasional 8 with a 13 or 14 inch spread, nothin spectacular.

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Sep 21, 2009, 05:46:34 PM »
If your seeing young bucks bigger bucks are around,they just head to where you cant get to them.Private property or a secluded spot in back of someones yard never to be hunted,bigger they get the smarter they get.

Believe me even with AR the bigger bucks will elude you,only the exclusive property hunters get them yearly.And unless you/me have rights to there secluded thickets/bedding areas we will not get them anyway IMO.

With decimation of herd it just means less bucks being produced to outsmart us average hunters hunting average land.Not to mention the button bucks that will be killed as doe that will never even have the chance to grow there first rack.Me I like to see deer even if there small racked,do you want to take a chance with less of a herd and see less or no dee like PA nowr?PA hunters are pissed right because of that,and I am one of them..... ::)

Offline Irrgang131

• Nubbie
« Reply #17 on: Sep 21, 2009, 06:14:43 PM »
I really would like to see archery start earlier...I miss living in PA and hunting the last sat of sept. 

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Sep 21, 2009, 06:49:30 PM »
i do like seeing deer to but i like seeing bigger ones more  ;D.....something has to be done in my area.....even if we do a trial run for 3 years and see how it works out that would be cool.

halfrack33

« Reply #19 on: Sep 22, 2009, 06:09:44 AM »
QDM has been proven over and over and over again to work and theres at least half a dozen posts on here about it ousting anyone who doubts it. How someone questions it puzzles me. If you don't believe it take a ride with me and i'll show you a big plot of land where they've been practicing it for 8 years, taking only mature bucks and filling all doe tags, you wouldn't believe that what you're seeing is in NY. Of course they get smarter as they get older, that doesn't mean you'll never see them. They go where the does are in the rut and they WILL come out. For most parts on plots where people don't blast every dink they see, food plots bring out the does, the rut brings out the bigger bucks. The point isn't to hunt and shoot a big rack every year, its to maintain a healthier herd with more mature deer. Too many idiots shoot spikes just to say they shot a "BUCK" and won't take does, its retarded. The time constraint complaint doesn't work either. If you don't have much time to hunt, like myself this year, and want deer, then do everyone a favor and go out and fill an antlerless muzzleloader or doe tag.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2009, 09:49:28 AM by halfrack33 »

Offline Tom Leitz

• Forked
« Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2009, 06:37:26 AM »
I am fine with QDM simply because I hunt for the meat, and don't have much interest in bucks because I would rather eat a doe.

If I have tags for both sexes and see a fat doe standing next to an 8-point buck, I take the doe every time.

Offline larz

• Forked
« Reply #21 on: Sep 22, 2009, 11:09:29 AM »
in order for him to become a shooter he has gotta make it to be about four years old and that ain't happening in new york,we have those type of deer here where I work but no one has hunted them in a good number of years. last year there was one about ten points or more and he had two drop tines that he could scratch his back with. the biggest bucks i have seen are right here at Sullivan park. There is a large track of state land behind us and to the north as well and the gene pool is there as well. this spot is almost worth the trip in the evening to see these beauty's

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Sep 22, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »
Thats what im trying to say.....if people cant legally shoot the deer then they will have time to grow to maturity....with the antler restrictions, say 3pt. on one side, these small 4s and and spikes will have another year to grow......a lot more deer will make it to 3 1/2 and older and with a good doe management program going on as well i guarantee you see a difference in the size of the bucks and the health of the herd.....i still say mineral blocks and supplements should be legal to place out so we can at least give our deer the proper nutrients they need to grow big antlers

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2009, 11:57:58 AM »
QDM has been proven over and over and over again to work and theres at least half a dozen posts on here about it ousting anyone who doubts it. How someone questions it puzzles me. If you don't believe it take a ride with me and i'll show you a big plot of land where they've been practicing it for 8 years, taking only mature bucks and filling all doe tags, you wouldn't believe that what you're seeing is in NY. Of course they get smarter as they get older, that doesn't mean you'll never see them. They go where the does are in the rut and they WILL come out. For most parts on plots where people don't blast every dink they see, food plots bring out the does, the rut brings out the bigger bucks. The point isn't to hunt and shoot a big rack every year, its to maintain a healthier herd with more mature deer. Too many idiots shoot spikes just to say they shot a "BUCK" and won't take does, its retarded. The time constraint complaint doesn't work either. If you don't have much time to hunt, like myself this year, and want deer, then do everyone a favor and go out and fill an antlerless muzzleloader or doe tag.

You are saying what I am saying.It will work on exclusive huge plots of private land,where it is strictly controlled.Wont work in the real world where where there is no control of your neighbors hunting practices.Why pass on a 2 or 3 year old when it goes over the hill to be shot by another hunter?

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Sep 22, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »
Thats what im trying to say.....if people cant legally shoot the deer then they will have time to grow to maturity....with the antler restrictions, say 3pt. on one side, these small 4s and and spikes will have another year to grow......a lot more deer will make it to 3 1/2 and older and with a good doe management program going on as well i guarantee you see a difference in the size of the bucks and the health of the herd.....i still say mineral blocks and supplements should be legal to place out so we can at least give our deer the proper nutrients they need to grow big antlers

Didn't work in PA why would it work here?There are no tons of big buck down there they claimed would happen before the program,People say they are there just have to hunt harder for ,witch is bull crap.All there is noqw is like 1 deer per square mile and alot of mad hunters.

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Sep 22, 2009, 12:08:04 PM »
By the way I would be all for AR just not herd reduction.... ;)

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Sep 22, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »
My last statement was regarding antler restriction not herd reduction  ;).......i still say 30 does to every buck cant be very healthy for the herd and that is what the buck:doe is here if not a little more.....next time i go for a ride i will take a pic of all the deer in a field and tell you how many bucks there are with them......the other day i saw about 75 deer in a field and there was one nice 8pt and 2 real small spikes, ibet all 3 of those bucks get killed this yr and about 10 or 15 of the does get shot...id like to see at least a buck to doe of 1:10 anything is better than what it is now.....we cant even use rattling antlers or grunts to get the deer to come in here because they have no reason to fight because there are enough does to go around......another problem in my area is the saratoga battlefield, its off limits to hunting and there are ridiculous amt. of does in there so the bucks just run on there once guns start to get fired and they have all the does they need right there so, no need for them to come off

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #27 on: Sep 22, 2009, 12:31:08 PM »
I am very much against antler restrictions. It isn't the states place to tell anyone what they can or can't harvest. There are plenty of private areas in NY that practice antler restrictions, and that's the way it should be. If you don't want to shoot a 1.5 year old buck, don't, but don't try telling me I can't let my girlfriend or nephew shoot a spike or fork for their first buck. How many of the pro antler restriction people didn't start by shooting younger bucks? The earn a buck tag program would work fine if it was needed, but if I can't pull a doe tag every year then there are more people trying to shoot does than does to harvest, right?

Offline Deadeyez

• 6 Pointer
  • Bow Hunting Addict
« Reply #28 on: Sep 22, 2009, 12:35:05 PM »
They should start archery season on sep 1st in the northern zone!
THWWWACK         Never Back Up Never Back Down

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Sep 22, 2009, 12:41:38 PM »
Couple of things:

You do not need to have a huge plot of land to do good sound management. Yes it would take longer because of neighbors shooting small bucks, but it does work. Food plots work but take time. Once the deer population know its there they will come year in and year out.

Secondly, if the whole state, or even just the southern zone were to implement an AR and boost the permits just a bit then there is your huge plot of land. Yep you bet there will be A-holes out there that will poach. Some will get caught and others wont, its just the way things ya know. I do not like it any more that the rest of you. But in the long run it will be worth it. Now we are not talking about 3 or 4 years, the long run would be 7 to 10 years to get the population ratios and the average age of the deer right.

Now I am in my 20th year of hunting. I have seen some absolute monsters here in NY, But not as many as there could be. Last year was my bigest buck at 7 points, I am guessing he was 2 1/2 years old (maybe 3 1/2 at most). My point (as is others on here) is that something does need to be done. I would rather try something than nothing at all. If it does not work then we get the DEC to change the regs. (hence the meetings I keep remind everyone about).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal