Author Topic: new deer seasons in new york  (Read 10484 times)

Offline larz

• Forked
new deer seasons in new york
« on: Sep 17, 2009, 10:39:36 AM »
well DEC is at it again, messing with the deer season they again want to move around the archery season and put muzzleloaders(which are far from primitive weasons they once were) in the middle and in the prime rut. move bow season back to start oct 1st to the 30th of oct then turn loose the muzzleloaders and crossbows before gun season. put a antler restriction in place to allow the bucks to mature, but kill off all the button bucks with DMPs. I ask what is wrong with the way it is now or is it too steeped with tradition to leave alone.this and one more rate increase and it will be time to let go of my favorite sport for they are destroying it anyway.

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
Re: new deer seasons in new york
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2009, 11:27:19 AM »
That is something we all could bring up at those meetings the DEC is planning on holding. I am not sure if it will do any good or not, but if we do not voice concerns then it will definitely go the wrong way.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2009, 12:08:31 PM »
I feel that the seasons should be left as they are. I actually bought a used Hawkins style cap lock because my in-line is to much like shooting a rifle. I think that if they felt they had to change the seasons the should create a black powder round ball season iron sights only, maybe include crossbows if they really feel the need to legalize them. I hunt in a shotgun only area in suburbs, I actually bow hunt it. Now I can shoot my in-line ml there, but it has twice the effective range of shotgun, which is clear out of the woods in any direction if you aren't safety conscious? I can also use a 30-06 pistol (if I had my pistol permit)? Those are the types of regs they should be reconsidering.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2009, 08:02:01 PM »
i assume you are talkin about southern zone?.....this would make the seasons almost the same for southern and northern zone right?

halfrack33

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »
I'm all for the antler restrictions but the rest?  ???

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2009, 09:03:19 AM »
well DEC is at it again, messing with the deer season they again want to move around the archery season and put muzzleloaders(which are far from primitive weasons they once were) in the middle and in the prime rut. move bow season back to start oct 1st to the 30th of oct then turn loose the muzzleloaders and crossbows before gun season. put a antler restriction in place to allow the bucks to mature, but kill off all the button bucks with DMPs. I ask what is wrong with the way it is now or is it too steeped with tradition to leave alone.this and one more rate increase and it will be time to let go of my favorite sport for they are destroying it anyway.

Where did you find this info at?

Offline Buckseeker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2009, 07:25:01 PM »
I'm not sure where all of the information came from, but there is information about the revised seasons and other proposed regs in this months New York Outdoor News.

Offline deerme117

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2009, 07:53:59 PM »
DEC scheduling 'deer meetings' across the state
Staff Report
Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:27 AM CDT
Albany - DEC has scheduled several public meetings this fall to discuss potential changes to the state's deer management program.
At press time, additional meetings were still in the process of being scheduled, officials said.

"We've already reached out to a number of hunting organizations in the state and other groups interested in deer management to get preliminary feedback on their key issues," DEC wildlife biologist Jeremy Hurst said. "So we intend to talk a bit about what we've been hearing and make sure we understand the full gamut of issues from everyday hunters in addition to what we hear from the organizations, associations and nonhunters."

Hurst said it's too early to speculate as to what any regulations changes might arise as a result of the meetings. But early speculation is that among items that could be proposed would be an earlier opener to at least the Southern Zone archery season as well as an early muzzleloader season.

"The challenge, as you can imagine, is that peoples' interests and expectations on deer management vary widely,"_Hurst said. "We're hoping that the input folks give us at these meetings will help solidify what really are the priority issues for New York deer hunters and the public."

Hurst previously confirmed that an Oct. 1 archery opener in the Southern Zone "may be on the table," as well as an early muzzleloader season. "That would also enhance the antlerless harvest," he said.

It's possible a Sept. 1 archery start in the Northern Zone may be proposed by sportsmen, but Hurst says that wouldn't necessarily be tied to an early start in the Southern Zone.

Other issues that may arise include the current Saturday opener for the Southern Zone firearms deer season; an "earn-a-buck" regulation in which hunters would have to harvest an antlerless deer before taking a buck; and a "one-buck" regulation where hunters would be allowed to harvest only one buck during the season.

DEC_officials stressed, however, that although many issues may arise at the meetings, that doesn't necessarily mean they're being considered as potential regulations changes.

The meeting schedule at press time was:

Region 3: Thursday, Oct. 8, 7-9 p.m. at Orange County Community College (Bio-Tech Building, Room 207) in Middletown.

Region 4: Thursday, Oct. 8, 6-9 p.m. at SUNY Oneonta (Hunt Union Ballroom); Thursday, Oct. 15, 6-9 p.m. at Bethlehem Town Hall in Delmar.

Region 5: Wednesday, Sept. 23, 6:30-9 p.m. at Elizabethtown-Lewis Central School; Thursday, Oct. 8, 6:30-9 p.m. at the Cornell Cooperative Extension Office, Ballston Spa.

Region 7: Wednesday, Sept. 30, 6-9 p.m. at the New York State Fair Grounds (Art and Home Center); Thursday, Oct. 15, 6-9 p.m. at Chenango Valley High School.

Region 8: Thursday, Oct. 1, 6:30-9:30 p.m. at Rush-Henrietta Senior High School; Thursday, Oct. 8, 6:30-9:30 p.m. at Haverling Junior-Senior High School, Bath.

Region 9: Tuesday, Oct. 20, 6:30-9:30 p.m. at Randolph Fire Hall; Thursday, Oct. 22, Sheridan Parkside Community Center Auditorium, Tonawanda, 6:30-9:30 p.m.

Meetings in regions 1, 2 and 6 had yet to be scheduled at press time. Additional meetings are expected to be updated on DEC's Web site:_do a search for "Public Meetings on Deer Management."

« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2009, 07:55:49 PM by deerme117 »

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2009, 11:42:22 AM »
That earn a buck and only one buck per year will suck if they approve that.The early muzzle loader season looks like it will only be for antlerless deer like PA does now,not that big of deal IMO.There going to shoot doe anyway,might as well let them shoot unbred deer to fill there tag. :-\

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2009, 11:49:11 AM »
By the way no mention of crossbows.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2009, 12:20:46 PM »
I think earn a buck and only one buck a yr wouldnt be that bad.....it would suck for the first couple of years but i bet you would think twice about shooting the first spike or 4 that came in, in hopes of gettin something nicer.......give it a few years and you will be happy with the results....buck to doe ratio would be more even and you will start to see bigger and more mature bucks....i also wouldnt mind seein an antler restriction.....i just want bigger deer......sept. 1 season is pretty early you might have a chance at one in velvet which would be cool.

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2009, 01:05:15 PM »
Look at what PA did down there after herd reduction and antler restrictions!!!I wont waste my outta state license fee to go there anymore.The state gave them permission to wipe out the population without saving little bucks.They still shot them and used junior/handicap tags on them!

There are big bucks here now,just gotta find em and put a bullet in them.We need the doe to reproduce more bucks,less doe equals less bucks to make to maturity.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2009, 02:10:14 PM »
ya there are SOME big bucks here but compare ny to a midwestern state like iowa, illinois, or kansas......now i realize that they have a lot more to eat out there and better nutrients in the soil but still....this brings up another point of we should be able to use mineral licks to try and make our deer helathier so they can grow bigger racks...they also have buck to doe ratios that are like 1:5 out there which is a whole lot better than where i live at about 1:30......it is ridiculous.....90% of the deer here dont get a chance to reach maturity anyways thats why i want the earn a buck or antler restriction....even having more does around to have more fawns, they all arent going to be bucks....which means even more does too.....which equals no good IMO. I just want a healthier deer herd and actually have a pretty good chance at shooting a nice buck every year rather than having to settle for a spike or 4 because i wont see anything bigger  :-\

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2009, 03:33:34 PM »
You comparing apples to watermellons with those states.Huge plots of land without the population of hunters.Here the deer you don't pull the trigger on will just run over the hill to get shot by another hunter!

Unless you have your own "PRIVATE" land and alot of it it wont work.Why do you think they created fenced in hunts,so your neighbors/poachers wont shoot the deer.And when you do have a big buck seen the poachers will be after it,seen it alot the past few years.Game wardens staking out where the spotlighters are seeing them graze in there favorite fields,only to sneak back at wea hours of morning to take a pop shot at it.

I like it the way it is now,PA already proved herd reduction/AR is not for the North East!!!! ;)

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2009, 03:38:01 PM »
By the way what age group buck are you looking to see more of anyway?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal