Author Topic: Cubby gets his first buck!  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
Cubby gets his first buck!
« on: Oct 30, 2009, 04:06:18 PM »
Got a call this am... got one hit, doesn't look great, can Cubby come out & play? Quite a bit of hair at the site of the hit & blood on a log it went over before it hit the goldenrod field. We struggled in the goldenrod without finding sign then started combing the hardwoods on the other side (about 150 yards across the goldenrod) The hunter that hit the deer found a spot of blood then it was straight up the hill about 200 yards to a bench where the buck had bedded to watch his backtrail and died. In all about 400 yards from the hit which was located just above the deers hock on the hind leg. I'm hoping by next year Cubby will be more effective in the goldenrod, each trail we take he gets more into what is going on. This was his 4th deer and his first buck. The hunter was quite happy to have found it!

Cubby & I with the deer....

Offline luv big rax

• Nubbie
Re: Cubby gets his first buck!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2009, 04:52:49 PM »
Congrats on a nice buck!! Way to stay with him till you found him!!

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2009, 05:26:27 PM »
Great job with cubby Hollywood. Where are you guys located?

Offline Shed94

• 6 Pointer
  • 24/7 Antlerman
    • Shed Antler Nation
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2009, 05:59:45 PM »
Way to go Hollywood & Cubby,great job & photo.
Antlers ~ N ~ Artifacts

Offline iceplank

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2009, 08:09:05 PM »
tthats a nice buck. cubby is quickly becoming a hero!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2009, 08:56:26 PM »
Nice job Cubby..Seen a few story's on here where your services could have been used...  Wait a second, am I talking to a dog. ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2009, 09:27:39 PM »
Nice job Cubby..Seen a few story's on here where your services could have been used...  Wait a second, am I talking to a dog. ;D ;D ;D ;D

C'mon, talking to a dog makes more sense than talking to most people! Thanks to all for all the nice comments- we really have been having fun at this. Cubby is only 4 months old and gets better every time out. Next season I expect he will be a pretty popular dog around here. He gets laughed at when guys first see him but they get over it pretty quick when he gets a good line on the trail. I had a guy with a good dog find a 7 point for me several years back and I lost a buck 2 years ago (found it a week later) that would have been easy for a decent dog to find. Kind of all came together to motivate me to give this a whirl, so far, so good! Good luck to all & I hope you all have blood trails so heavy a blind guy (& his dog!) could follow.

upstatehunter

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2009, 05:41:25 AM »
Way to go Cubby. I would have given my eye teeth for you the last few years.
I'm hoping you still get to hunt as most guys who start doing the dog recovery, they spend allot of time in the field looking for "others" deer. I also hope you are at least covering expenses of gas and food for doing this service for all of us.
Thanks!!!!

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2009, 04:54:46 AM »
Bumped for Spikehorn!

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »
Thats awesome! I have heard of a lot of success stories where the dog had found the hunters trophy. Congrats to you,cubby and the hunter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal