Author Topic: What does everyone wear for hunting cloths?  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Woodcutter5x5

• Spiked
What does everyone wear for hunting cloths?
« on: Dec 13, 2008, 02:39:50 AM »
Normally i wear the red/black plad woolrich but after opening day i switched to my camo jacket/pants.as the woolrich is to darn heavy!
i would like to invest on a good scent blocker jacket/pants.As 99%of the time im either still hunting or sitting next to a tree watching open hard wood's/open feilds.
i am kinda afraid of heights lol.but at the same time im more affriad of the sudden stop at the end of the fall more so then the height lol.

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
Re: What does everyone wear for hunting cloths?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2008, 06:22:35 AM »
Red Black also on weekends with the party,,camo weekday afternoons still hunting ,woolies when there is snow and camo pants without snow--NO jeans----also in early season with snow but not cold I wear 100 % wool dress pant--from salvation army thrift,,2.00 a pair,,they get muddy you chuck them out get another pair.

Offline jimsmith

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2008, 08:04:04 AM »
Browning hydro fleese bibs woolrich coat toasty warm & dry.

Offline nick733

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »
i wear mud and bushmills

upstatehunter

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:57:52 AM »
All camo(bibs and jacket) for bow, add a blaze orange vest for muzzle loader and then gun. Until cold weather, I switch to wools, pants and jacket. Real cold, I wear my insulated bibs or suit over my wools. I sit allot so warm is what I look for.

Offline gump

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2008, 07:40:15 AM »
Woodcutter5x5,

To each their own, but I wouldn't buy into the scent elimination clothing like scent-lok, etc.    They are over priced and their scent elimination properties that they claim haven't been tested in independant labs in many cases.  In fact, there are lawsuits out right now like this one saying that they're claims are fraudulent.

http://www.heinsmills.com/scent-lok.html

I dress in layers during the bow season when it is warmer, but com late gun season, I invested in a camo wool outfit from  LL Bean.  Most importantly however, I keep all my hunting clothing in a large rubbermaid container and use coverscents to mask human odor like hardwoods, acorn or pine.  More importantly than trying to eliminate your scent is to be sure to try and play the wind whenever possible and keep your scent downwind from the deer.

Offline heymax

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:44:02 AM »
I just had to reply to this thread. I try and be careful with my hunting clothes and get rid of human scent as much as possible. I take showers with non scented soap and brush my teeth with wild mint toothpaste(YUK) I spend money on Scents and Cover scents only to see a guy every year near the place that I hunt who wears a stained orange snowmobile suit, he usually brings about a 12 pack of beer which he then sticks the empties on tree branches thus the name " Beer Can Stand" and he smokes a pile of butts. I do not condone this but he stays on his own land and he usually shoots a couple bucks from this stand every year with exceptions. I guess I just don't get it because I can go near that area and the deer spook and run. Maybe I'm being too quiet and I don't have B.O. Max

Offline Woodcutter5x5

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:45:56 AM »
thnx for the replys fellas.
The only reason i was thinking about the scent blocker clothing is because opening day of shot gun the wind was swirling and i had a big buck(10-12 pointer) come running 50 yards that had been shot at less then 5 minutes before,running full bore and he skids to a stop looks right at me snorts and takes off running again.
I try to play the wind as much as possible but theres days where its swirling and no spot is perfect.mind ya we hunt state land the majority of the time except this past season we got permission to hunt a 100  plot of hard woods/pines/thickets.and i'll be putting stands up(ladder)and want to be as invisable as possible.

Offline webs820

• Spiked
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:18:28 PM »
I've got the insulated camo pants and coat (Fleece) from Gander Mountain....real  nice for bow season. and the fleece is so warm.  i actually wore it all year...  i wont buy the scentblocker as spoken about before..too much money....i  do wash clothes and myself with scent eliminator( $7) then spray down before i go into the woods ($10)...lasts all year for $17. I hunted all bow this year and was not winded once!  The scent spray and wash was Dead Downwind. usually can get it on sale now at Dicks.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2009, 01:18:03 PM »
I wear under armour and fleece windproof jacket and pants from field and stream...for warm weather bow season i just bought a scentlok suit that i will have to try out next year....i normally wouldnt buy one but i got the whole suit on sale at Dick's for $100 with 65$ in gift cards so i got a 200$ suit for 35$ cash. i couldnt pass it up....also i wear lacrosse alpha burly 1000gram thinsulate boots

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:22:20 PM »
Nothing fancy for me.Usually got red black or my lucky green and black flannel on when its til it gets cold.Then i put on the heavier camo coat i got for christmas a few years back.Wool pants or my waterproof ones depending on the day.I dont buy into the scent lok stuff a whole lot.Either way theres no way you can eliminate all your scent no matter how cautious you are.Plus i just dont have the money and have taken plenty of deer without it.
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline deerman

• 6 Pointer
  • ya get what ya need
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:37:02 PM »
to be honest ive never worn cloths for hunting...i usually go with my camo gear..theyd see me if i just had cloths on  ;) ;) :) :D ;D :P ::)
Every man dies, but not every man lives.

Offline Salmon_Run

• Spiked
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2009, 01:22:23 PM »
I wear nothing but bear grease and an old set of L.L. Bean boot (with socks).

Best camo going; but sure as hell is cold after Thanksgiving !!

" ditch the bitch and hunt!"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal