Author Topic: warm feet!!!!!  (Read 2833 times)

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
warm feet!!!!!
« on: Oct 27, 2008, 03:17:29 PM »
i am cold in the woods every year and need some boot help.u guys think 600 grams of thinsulate is enough?my one buddy says he uses 1000g and boots with no laces and gets em big so he can move his toes,but every time i pick them up they remind me of turkey hunting boots.think they would work in these new york conditions?oh and id like to double them as my icefishing boots thanks for any help.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
Re: warm feet!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2008, 03:23:17 PM »
Get yourself a pair of camo pack boots.  I wore leather boots for years and always got cold wet feet.  I switched over about ten years ago and I'll never go back.

Offline XII Outdoors

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2008, 04:05:25 PM »
I wear LaCrosse rubber boots with 1200 grams of thinsulate during the hunting season.  I also own Rocky Deer Stalkers which I think are 1500 grams of thinsulate(i wear them ice fishing) and my feet dont get cold.  The best part of these two pairs of boots is that if you do get cold, take a short walk 100yds and your feet will be nice and toasty.

upstatehunter

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »
I used to clump around in heavy pacs or blistering rubber. Switched to lacrosse light weight rubber bottoms with leather tops, only 400gr of thinsulate. On real cold days or ice fishing I use hand warmers between two pairs of sockson the top of my foot.
No cold feet for three years now. You can walk in and put warmers in when you get there to avoid sweating.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2008, 09:11:55 PM »
Trouble with my feet is i cant find a happy medium.There either to warm and sweat or to just to cold.
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2008, 11:31:24 AM »
I have those artic shield boot covers. When I get to my stand I slip them over my boots and my feet never get cold.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline HUNT FISH COOK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »
i use feald and stream 1000g... im only 13 so i still got good blood flow
kill it be for u grill it

Offline Elmer Fudd

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2008, 11:33:01 AM »
Woody Muck Hunting boots.
Get them sized a little big.  You don't want them too tight.  The air space will insulate your feet.  Thin socks.  If your feet feel like they are getting cold.....wiggle your toes; don't stop until they warm up.

Hope that helps.

Offline bugman1964

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2008, 01:42:53 PM »
I used to clump around in heavy pacs or blistering rubber. Switched to lacrosse light weight rubber bottoms with leather tops, only 400gr of thinsulate. On real cold days or ice fishing I use hand warmers between two pairs of sockson the top of my foot.
No cold feet for three years now. You can walk in and put warmers in when you get there to avoid sweating.

I place hand warmers by my toes also, feet never get cold.

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2008, 01:55:20 PM »
Love the hand warmers in between the sock trick. Been doing it for years and have hod no cold feet (even when ice fishing in sub zero weather). I buy the things by the box!

upstatehunter

« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2008, 04:59:25 PM »
Stop in deposit we sell 'em by the box lol

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2008, 05:27:16 PM »
Definitely buy boots with plenty of room. I've taken many a person Ice fishing in the cold..The ones that have the most trouble with their toes usually put on 3 pairs of socks and crammed em' into their boots. Tight = cold!!        For Ice fishing I would suggest wearing stocking foot neoprene waders with any kinda insulated boot. I've been out in below zero temps many a time and still had warm feet....Moving around helps too...

Offline Salmon_Run

• Spiked
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2008, 07:18:08 AM »
I suffered from cold feet for years and found that they were actually getting sweaty and then cold; I switched socks and not boots with great success.

Try the "wicking socks" against your skin and then a good quality sock next. My feet are cushioned better, no blisters, and they stay dry and warm. The wicking socks are like a tightly knit stocking material and are very thin. The moisture passes through them into my wool socks and dry feet!

I have only two pair of boots I wear and rotate them nightly so they dry inside completely before I wear them another day.

Try switching socks before investing in new boot.............. these socks work well in waders also for fishing or waterfowl hunting.
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2008, 07:23:31 AM by Salmon_Run »
" ditch the bitch and hunt!"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal