Author Topic: what do you feel about leasing land to hunt  (Read 2560 times)

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
what do you feel about leasing land to hunt
« on: Oct 02, 2007, 04:09:01 PM »
whats your oppinion og leasing land
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2007, 05:15:02 PM by vivlamored »

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: what do you deel aboi leasing land to hunt
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2007, 06:19:54 AM »
If it works for you, great. Me, I feel lucky that We have our own 65 acre farm and that I also have exclusive rights to hunt my friends 84 acre farm.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Robb

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2007, 06:57:06 AM »
Myself and some friends lease 2 plots, 1 in the northern zone and 1 in the southern zone, both of them are posted leases and cost each member about $700 per year, this includes stocking trout and camps.

In the northern zone we also have a 55 acre stocked pond and it is nice to go fishing with no boats or jet skis buzzing you every 2 minutes. In total we have over 1500 acres and not too many members use either lease, so if you want private hunting/fishing and can't afford to actually buy the land then the leases are ok. On the other hand we could lose either, one is a private land owner and the other is a timber company lease. So you have to enter the lease knowing it could end and enjoy it as much as possible.

I'll be heading north on Friday for some Secret Spot trout fishing ;).

Robb
2010 ADK 14 PT

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2007, 06:58:44 AM »
Good luck fishing Robb! :D  You should also bring a bow and get in a little hunting too.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline BigBuckTaker16

• 6 Pointer
  • It must be the "hat"
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2007, 12:13:17 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, where abouts do you lease land in northern zone?
Iceshanty= AirManCam

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2007, 01:05:30 PM »

Lots of paper companies lease their lands to hunting clubs. There are some leases right outside of warrensburg.

Offline Robb

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2007, 07:37:17 AM »

BBT16,

Our lease is in the Speculator area.

Robb
2010 ADK 14 PT

Offline irishjigger

• Spiked
  • Walk Me Out In The Mornin Dew ...
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2007, 12:26:50 PM »
With the amount of State Land available to hunt in the Adirondacks , I find a lease foolish ! Do your homework , get out some maps ! Most peolpe wont travel 1/2 mile off the road , finding state land to hunt is not hard , and I dont see hardly any other hunters all SEASON , let alone all day! Its all about what you want to put into it !
Official Wine Maker of Deer Run Hunting Camp! "IF YOU GET ONE , WE GET SOME!"

GUT DEER !

Offline Robb

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:36:20 AM »
With the amount of State Land available to hunt in the Adirondacks , I find a lease foolish ! Do your homework , get out some maps ! Most peolpe wont travel 1/2 mile off the road , finding state land to hunt is not hard , and I dont see hardly any other hunters all SEASON , let alone all day! Its all about what you want to put into it !

True there is a huge amount of state land in the Adirondacks and the Southern tier, but not everyone lives next to state land and with gas prices the way they are I would rather drive to hunting camp on Friday and stay the weekend.

Also the leased land is logged off and has way better wildlife habitat than Old Growth forest. Plus both of our leases have camps and are POSTED so there are no other hunters to worry about. So there are a few advantages to having a lease. Just my 2 cents.
Robb
2010 ADK 14 PT

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
Re: what do you feel about leasing land to hunt
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2007, 10:10:35 AM »
That is the key to a lease in the adk's, logging. Deer love areas that have been logged 1-10 years before hand. lots of food and cover.

Offline XII Outdoors

• 6 Pointer
Re: what do you feel about leasing land to hunt
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2007, 04:17:12 PM »
We have a log cabin in the southern tier near Alfred and the area is full of state land.  We have a 28 acre lot and we reserve that for some of the older guy, like my father, that dont enjoy or physically cant spend all day in the woods anymore.  The problem with camp is that it is 2hr40min away from home.  I am fortunate to have a friend 10 minutes from my home who has 50 acres but we have a lot of problems with tresspassers.  I have another friend who takes me to a spot where he has permission but the owner is in his 80's.  These days it is getting tougher and tougher to find quality places to hunt.  One friend has a lease but the accomidations is less than "comfortable"

to each their own as long as it suits your needs and fills your freezer

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal