Author Topic: State Considers Using Contraceptives To Control Deer Population  (Read 3025 times)

Offline huntNH

• Forked
State Considers Using Contraceptives To Control Deer Population

POSTED: 11:37 am EDT September 13, 2007

CONCORD, N.H. -- New Hampshire wildlife officials are looking into using contraceptives to help control the state's deer population.

The state Fish and Game Commission on Wednesday allowed officials to draft legislation to approve using deer contraceptives. The use apparently would not be imminent, even if the Legislature approves.

Steve Weber, director of Fish and Game's wildlife division, said the federal government is considering approving a drug that can be shot into deer. A single dose could mean contraceptive coverage for several years.
ice fishNH @ IS  fishNH @ MFF

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: State Considers Using Contraceptives To Control Deer Population
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2007, 12:13:13 PM »
They have tried this in many states and they have found it to be a complete failure. Only hunters are an effective control measure.  THis is just anti-hunter trying to make policy for the state.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline GAMEDOG

• 6 Pointer
  • If it swims, walks , or flies, it dies!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
Let me at em , I've got a long range contraceptive for deer. It's called a 300 Weatherby ;D

Offline huntNH

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2007, 02:34:05 PM »
Not sure what is up with this??????? Just received this one from F&G.

NH FISH AND GAME IS *NOT* CONSIDERING CONTROLLING DEER NUMBERS WITH CONTRACEPTIVES

CONCORD, N.H. -- The NH Fish and Game Commission voted on September 12, 2007, to move forward with an initiative to regulate the use of drugs by any person for fertility control or growth stimulation in wildlife. The initiative is intended to prevent the use of wildlife fertility control drugs without a permit from the NH Fish and Game Department. The Department has no intent to use such drugs nor to permit their use anywhere in New Hampshire.

The initiative to regulate the use of wildlife fertility control drugs is being pursued because of recent advancements in the development of a single-dose, multi-year drug to prevent pregnancy in deer. While the development of that drug is still ongoing, and the possible federal registration by the US Environmental Protection Agency is pending, Fish and Game officials believe it is important to have clear authority to regulate the use of these drugs if they are approved in the future.

News reports that Fish and Game is considering the use of contraceptives to control the deer population are simply not accurate, according to Steve Weber, Chief of Wildlife for the Department. "The initiative is intended to prevent the use of wildlife contraceptive drugs by anyone without specific permission from the Department," Weber said. "There are no situations that exist in New Hampshire where the use of fertility control drugs would even be contemplated by the Fish and Game Department."
ice fishNH @ IS  fishNH @ MFF

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2007, 05:37:24 PM »
Sounds like work of the anti's to me. 
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2007, 08:56:24 PM »
yeah  they shot it down.  and I agree.  there is no need for it.  If they need to control the population more then us hunters will be happy to take care of that!

~Stefan~

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2007, 10:01:50 PM »
So how are they gonna do it?  Are the does going to take pills, or are the bucks going to wear condoms??   :D And how do they get the packages open without thumbs?  :D

-Zach

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal