Author Topic: NZ Doe with my Longbow  (Read 3236 times)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
NZ Doe with my Longbow
« on: Oct 22, 2021, 06:25:18 AM »
Told myself I was going to shoot a doe this year, wanted meat it the freezer. Last doe was 2014 in NY, passed plenty since then both here and in Ohio; already let a couple go this year and came close Tuesday morning. Time was running out to use a doe tag up north and I don't hunt southern NY any more, last 2 days until rifle and already muzzleloader season.

Full moon was Wednesday, and I believe it affects movement. First noticed while driving over the years in Ohio where they are more deer than here, with the full moon deer movement was best in the evenings before, rising moon, then switches to mornings after the full with it setting. So yesterday was a little warm at 50 but had to get out with little time left.

Have this spot in a saddle where they have been scraping under a hemlock for several years, and have seen several different bucks on cam with them starting to show just after daylight at times in October. Hunted it only once this year, no scrape so I made 2 and pissed in 1. Usually hunt around here more, which means I have to pass by here but have been keeping away this year to keep it fresher.

Made sure to get up there well before first light yesterday morning, still pretty bright with the moon still up, walking is really quiet with few leaves fallen and wet ground everywhere. Was also  trying out a new climbing method, hand climber was causing elbow and shoulder problems that I thought were from shooting too much. Finally realized it always happens in the fall when I start climbing, the other day it was hard to shoot in the tree after climbing... time for a change. Added 2 carabiners, and now can clip my harness to the front of the seat and it is more like a sit or hang and climb. A little slower but safer and pain free.

Had about 45 minutes in the dark and it slowly got lighter, the scrapes are right in front and I see the one I peed in was being used. Light wind was from the south coming up from my back right side. Wasn't long after first light I heard something to the left which is also uphill, turned and spotted a doe about 30 yards away and stood up. She was angling across and stopped and started sniffing, she was right downwind, and this year they keep busting me and blowing. Not again though, she went back to feeding on leaves, the Deer Dander I sprayed on me seems to help and not the first time it has worked. I grabbed the bow.

It is much more open in front and to the right, she was on the other side and feeding my way but lots of branches and still some leaves with few openings. Had her broadside at 10-12 yards a few times but didn't want to chance a deflection, just needed to be patient. Thought she would eventually work her way down to the scrape for a wide open but steeper shot. Then she turned and headed back up and into the biggest opening at 15 yards, slightly angled away. Raised the bow, drew and concentrated on a spot.... the arrow was gone. She kicked and ran up, at first I thought I had missed then she slowed down, heard her stumbling in the hemlocks, then the popped back out and went down in sight.

First kill with my newer Omega Native, 45#@28": fast, accurate and very quiet, great hunting bow.

They don't go far after this, 150 grain Magnus Buzzcut through the heart...

Shot was lower circle, went down at upper...

The scrape, have a cam there now to see who appears...

Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: NZ Doe with my Longbow
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2021, 06:48:24 AM »
Very nice ..  Congratulations buddy..👍
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2021, 06:57:20 AM »
Thanks Don.

The wide angle lens on these cell cams is deceiving, looks like I'm 100 feet in the air, deer look tiny without zoom, too.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2021, 06:59:57 AM »
I was gonna say I would be skerred being up that high….. ;D ;D ;D
  Nice work..👍

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2021, 07:07:24 AM »
Don?   :o :o

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2021, 07:13:06 AM »
Lol, for some reason I keep hitting n instead of m. ;) ;D
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2021, 07:19:23 AM »
That's about 24' to the platform, highest I go is a little over 30, when bow starts getting lifted from the ground by hoist it's time to stop.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2021, 08:07:02 AM »
Great shooting, great deer, great bow, great write up. Congrats!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2021, 10:49:51 AM »
Great job! nice shot what a clean hole!! congrats on filling the freezer.

Offline millermankt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2021, 09:11:27 PM »
Nice job

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2021, 08:21:29 AM »
Congrats on a nice doe !

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2021, 05:03:27 AM »
Thanks all. Pouring rain and wet for a 2 days, meat has been aging for a few days on ice and this will be a good time to process and vacuum seal.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2021, 04:20:30 PM »
Nice shooting. Congrats

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2021, 05:21:22 AM »
Great job! Can't wait for your OH reports.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2021, 10:36:26 AM »
Appreciate it.

So we got more rain than I thought earlier in the week or the ground is finally saturated, small streams running everywhere. Here's the scrape, dry in picture above, and the leaves really changed in a week. Grabbed cam for my trip and a nice forkhorn went by yesterday at 3pm, will be nice next year if he makes it.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal