Author Topic: Zero for ML Scope  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
Zero for ML Scope
« on: Dec 04, 2020, 01:48:25 PM »
Just curious what others are using for zero on your muzzleloader scope.  Personally I will not take a shot longer than 100 yards with my muzzleloader, just won't do that even though the newer in line ML's with scopes can supposedly shoot accurately out to 300 yards plus.  Those kinds of shots at 300 yards plus in my opinion are reserved for a western hunt for elk or mule deer at very long distances.  Just not what we do in heavier forested close cover for deer here in Maine.  I can't even remember the last time I saw a deer at 100 yards plus in the Maine woods and when I did, I definately waited for the deer to move closer before attempting a shot.  In almost every case my opportunites have always been with deer under 50 yards with many more under 25 yards.  So for this reason I have zeroed my ML scope to 75 yards thereby allowing me to just hold center mass at any distance between 25 and 100 yards and not have to worry.  To make matters worse I purchased a Nikon Prostaff Shotgun Hunter 2-7 scope with BDC reticle that is mounted on my CVA Accura Mountain Rifle.  These BDC reticle scopes are what is called seconday focal plane rather than first focal plane, in theory they sound great but here is the problem, although the point of impact does not change with secondary focal plane, the reticle does change when you change power settings, so in other words the 4 little circles below the center crosshairs change in distance depending upon the power setting.  So you have to pick a particular power setting that you are going to use under field hunting conditions, test and confirm on the range and then stick with that. So here are the numbers for a 4 power setting, hold center mass behind the shoulder at all ranges between 25 to 75 yards with dead center aligned reticle, use 1st circle down under center reticle for 106 yards, use 2nd circle down under center reticle for 140 yards, use 3rd circle down under center reticle for 170 yards and 4th circle down under center reticle for 210 yards.  This is based upon Nikon Spot on Ballistics software which you can check out on the internet.  I have zeroed the ML at 75 yards using 96 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209 powder, CCI magnum 209 shotshell primers and 295 grain powerbelt copper hollow points with bullets touching under 3/4" at 75 yards. This particular shotgun/muzzleloader scope also has a 75 yard parallax which is different than the standard 150 yard parallax for a standard centerfile rifle scope. If I change the power setting on the scope than all distances for the four circles below the reticle change and all bets are off until proven true on the range and then carry a rangefinder and charts to adjust for varying power settings while in the field.  I think I will be getting rid of this scope, too damn complicated!

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
Re: Zero for ML Scope
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2020, 03:34:02 PM »
I agree with you on that the type of hunting we do around here way to complicated of a scope. That sounds to me like a scope you want out west hunting corn fields.. not for hills and valleys  around here. to answer you first question i believe most guys that hunt around these parts (new england) will agree 100 yds is a great yardage to probobly be max around here with a muzzleloader don't get me wrong they are plenty capable of grouping well over i had 4 inch groups at 175 yds shooting 100 grains of blackhorn and a 275 grain platinum powerbelt but that was on a bench in a vise at the range.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2020, 03:56:17 PM »
I hate all that S$!?! I zero at 100 with my wide Duplex crosshairs and I send it.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2020, 06:04:37 PM »
I zero money at 100 yards. Hunting in the Maine woods I don’t think you need one with a BDC as your shots will be close. I have Leopoldos muzzleloader 3x9 scope  with BDC and it’s pretty accurate with them and I’m comfortable with it out to 200

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2020, 05:13:17 PM »
I hate all that S$!?! I zero at 100 with my wide Duplex crosshairs and I send it.
I completely agree, the sales person in the hunting department at Cabela's recommended this scope when I bought the ML at the Scarborough store.  What a mistake.  I'm getting rid of it and replace with Leupold first focal plane scope like the VX III 1.75-6 that's mounted on my Winchester Model 70 bolt action.  With that scope I just zero at 100 yards and send it center cross hairs at all distances up to 100 yards, doesn't matter what power level the scope is on!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2020, 05:40:55 PM »
Good choice! I have a vx-lll 2.5-8 on mine
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2020, 10:57:36 AM »
I still like my Nikon's

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2020, 12:20:58 PM »
I still like my Nikon's
I have a Nikon Prostaff Shotgun Hunter in 2-7 with heavy duplex 200 BDC reticle.  Bought it new in 2014 at Cabela's in Scarborough, it is in pristine condition with original box and instruction, care and maintenance manuals. I paid $150.00 plus tax at the time plus the cost of the rings.  This scope is no longer made and is awesome for people that like a BDC reticle.  The glass is exceptional and I love every aspect of the scope in quality for the money other than the pain in the ass BDC reticle, just not my thing.  You can have it for $75.00 plus shipping and includes the rings if you want it.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2020, 11:56:20 PM »
The thing I don't care for is the BDC they are confusing and on
don't have a shot gun to put it on

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal