Author Topic: Anyone here actually use a map to scout for Snowshoe hares?  (Read 1851 times)

Offline State Land Benny

• Spiked
I was trudging around some thickets the other day putting my new Carhart's to the test (love 'em, I move through briar patches like butter) and was looking for some bunny habitat. I was kicking around brush piles, looking for a floating dark marble, or maybe even a nice fat unsuspecting grouse as I stopped intermittently and zigzagged through the dormant vegetation. Some pellets or tiny trails would've been exciting. There was a little snow, but not a lot a hardship has hit the animals, so I didn't expect to see any chewed up twigs just yet.

As I moved through the place, the mind began to wander and the hamster wheel started turning. What if I could save time and scout from home a bit like I do with the deer? I never found aerials too good for hunting big woods, because the habitat all looks the same from the air. I did however think about topo. Now, although many of these cartographers completed their work in the Adirondacks around the 1960s and 70s, many of the marshy areas documented remain. I've never been a huge fan of swamps, but maybe some thick cedars or something surrounding would give me an end to search further....

So with something like this, I would simply skirt the actual swamp labeled on the map, looking for the thick cedars or tag alder thickets. If I came across some young spruce, balsam, or fir on the way through the hardwoods to the swamp, great, but I find that YOUNGsoftwood pockets are too tough to identify without actually being there. Anyone have any success with maps for bunnies in particular?

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
Re: Anyone here actually use a map to scout for Snowshoe hares?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2015, 10:20:45 PM »
 never really looked up north via Arial maps as I know of spots up there already but when I moved to were I am now I had no clue where to look for public land cotton tails and was able to pick out spots that I wanted to look at in person... worked out pretty good for most of the spots I looked at, but like you said already its hard to tell up north... lots of big woods... one thing to look for with snowshoe is water and cedar for sure.. make sure you not walking big grown up pine much as they will use but not as often as thicker cover to protect from bird of pray or fox/yote and others.. good luck buddy

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2015, 04:54:59 AM »
Google Earth  Aireal Maps .     ;)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2015, 05:53:49 AM »
Topos are good but try this link,,it's Hamiltom County Tax map sight,but it is google maps an older version,when you zoom in to the 2 closest settings it will go to Late Fall ariel photos and you can see the terrain better..But not in all area;s......
[url][/http://www.hamcomaps.net/#url]
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2015, 06:12:17 AM by joe snag »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal