Author Topic: Chestnut time again  (Read 10267 times)

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
Chestnut time again
« on: Dec 10, 2015, 08:36:22 PM »
Just put 240 nuts in damp peat moss to begin the germination process. It's going to be a busy spring again. Got these, 20 pear trees and 10 plum trees going in also. I will begin clearing in the next week or two. I'm done doing the majority of that myself. Put myself in a couple scary spots last winter doing it with my limited equipment. Calling in the big guns for a day or two  8) I'll spend my time tidying up afterwards.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
Re: Chestnut time again
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2015, 03:54:48 AM »

Did you get the seeds from chestnut hill nursery ; You starting them in the cellar ; That is a lot of little ones

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2015, 05:04:45 AM »
Looking forward to the updates!

Offline BowHunterDan

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2015, 06:45:08 AM »
I wonder how long before chestnut blight kills them off? Sure do miss all those chestnut trees. :'(
Mission Craze 65#, Victory VForce 350, Muzzy MX 3 100g.
Remington 600, .308 Win.
Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2015, 07:20:54 AM »
 I believe all seeds are now disease resistant. Chestnut that is.
Peddler

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2015, 08:02:56 AM »
There is a lot of info online about the loss of the American chestnut. Many believe this to be the single largest ecological disaster in history. Our woods were filled with chestnuts every fall prior to the blight. There are different hybrids available that show resistance to chestnut blight, but true American chestnut will die from blight before maturity. There is work being done to change this. I have some hybrid in place, but the nuts I'm working with are Chinese chestnut, which are not affected by the blight. They're the trees that brought it here. This is a "if you can't beat them, join them" solution. My goal is 500-600 chestnut trees which should drop between 10-100 pounds of nuts per tree, depending on a lot of different factors. Obviously, not a short term project. Just something I want to try.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2015, 05:22:32 PM »
  Where did you get the seeds from , I would like 50 for myself  ; The ones I planted are doing great so far

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2015, 09:40:12 PM »
  Where did you get the seeds from , I would like 50 for myself  ; The ones I planted are doing great so far

I got some from the Michigan growers association. Not sure if they have any left... Best bet is to order them in September, most sources are out by now. There were about 27  nuts per pound. The place I got mine last year was out already in October when I contacted them.

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2015, 06:44:59 AM »
I love your devotion on this! It actually helps keep me on track.   ;D

I planted 5 more Apple trees this week after the NZ gun season closed. Also planning on planting a few more Dunstans and replacing a few Dunstans in the spring that died from too much water in early summer. I don't have enough room to put too many more trees in but that will change in the next year or two.

Do you put any seed down between your trees? I like to spray grass killer before I plant but am hesitant to do that around the apples and chestnuts.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2015, 06:00:16 PM »
I like to spray grass killer before I plant but am hesitant to do that around the apples and chestnuts.

Grass killer kills more than grass..  ;)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »

Grass killer kills more than grass..  ;)

That's what I'm thinking...

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2015, 10:30:04 PM »

Do you put any seed down between your trees? I like to spray grass killer before I plant but am hesitant to do that around the apples and chestnuts.

The two orchards up above are planted with clover and chicory for ground cover. It seems to be a good mix- the chicory is very drought tolerant. I've got clover and a TON of turnips down below with some brassica also. Most of the brassica is gone, the clover is well cropped down from browsing...but they haven't started on the turnips much yet. Still too warm. They'll start going when it gets frozen. I will have to redo this plot in the spring, it'll be getting torn up a bit with the rearranging I'll be doing soon. Took a nice doe this evening, I'm ready to be done with deer season and on to shaping things again. This deer will be good eating, fattest deer I believe I've ever taken, in really good shape. It was a good season with plenty of opportunity, but I never had a chance at a buck I felt like taking. I try to keep a 3' ring around each tree free of grass and weeds. It's a never ending battle. You seem to have good luck with the fall planting. I should try it. The May plan really messes up walleye season.

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2015, 05:25:05 AM »
I have had good luck planting apples trees in the fall right after deer season. They are dormant anyway. The trees I planted last fall were loaded with apples this year.

I put down a 3' square section of weed fabric around the trees and that helped. I am going to make them even bigger this year like 5' x 5'.

Nice job on the doe. Sounds like she has been eating good!

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2016, 01:37:52 PM »
While adding a little moisture to the nuts earlier I found a few high achievers.
Time to get serious about setting my little home up to handle 240 new residents. Going to try a new style grow pot... Better order them Monday.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2016, 06:21:46 AM »

Things are looking like you going to be busy with them little guy's coming to life   :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal