Author Topic: 2015-2016 antler less only area  (Read 13072 times)

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
Re: 2015-2016 antler less only area
« Reply #30 on: Aug 24, 2015, 04:44:27 PM »
What's nice about check in stations is they can take a section of the jaw as well to calculate age classes of deer being nice.

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #31 on: Aug 24, 2015, 06:41:45 PM »
exactly. gives them more information and forces more harvest to be reported. also helps to force a little selective harvest. I hope people do not take offense as these are simply my opinions and im tired of summer so talking hunting has become a hobby this time of year. I have plenty of great friends and family who feel the same was as many of you and I celebrate there deer right along with them. (with a little ball bustin for the little ones).

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #32 on: Aug 24, 2015, 07:45:38 PM »
Check in stations?     :P :P :P
The last thing I want to do is load a deer in to a truck/vehicle and drive to who knows where so I can have it checked...  By that time it is skinned and ready for processing...  I take my deer off my own property and they never leave it.......  Stupid rule...   But what do I know...
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2015, 08:22:57 PM by Raquettedacker »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #33 on: Aug 24, 2015, 08:17:52 PM »
Check in stations?     :P :P :P
The last thing I want to do is load a deer in to a truck/vehicle and drive to who knows where so I cane have it checked...  By that time it is skinned and ready for processing...  I take my deer off my own property and they never leave it.......  Stupid rule...   But what do I know...

We gotta work on you hanging your deer for a few days before you butcher them  ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #34 on: Aug 24, 2015, 08:22:09 PM »
Nope. Not gonna happen.... :P
You do it your way, I will do it mine....       ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2015, 08:24:20 PM by Raquettedacker »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #35 on: Aug 24, 2015, 09:06:50 PM »
We gotta work on you hanging your deer for a few days before you butcher them  ;D
He makes all his into snack sticks anyway  ;) Killer snack sticks  8)
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #36 on: Aug 25, 2015, 12:35:37 AM »
I tried the hanging for a few days thing and I didn't seem to taste much of a difference. I guess I just like venison so much I enjoy it no matter what.  I have yet to make any sausage or meat sticks with any yet and I know im missing out. Maybe raquettedacker has a recipe he would like to share?

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #37 on: Aug 25, 2015, 05:08:56 AM »

In Maine, they have check stations, they are generally country stores or sport shops. The rule is that you have to report your kill
          at the first open registration station you come to. If you don't transport your deer, you don't have to report it. If there isn't one
          open you don't have to report. I got a ticket in the mail a few years ago because I passed a station, didn't realize it, and stopped
          at the next one. The charge was Failure to Register Deer, I argued that I had but the warden, "North Woods Law" it cost me $150! >:(
          I wasn't trying to get away with anything, just an error. DUMB LAW!

Offline flukeman

• Forked
« Reply #38 on: Aug 25, 2015, 08:59:30 AM »
At the end of the day we don't need antler restrictions or check stations the numbers already show that 86% of hunters in New York pass on small bucks. If the other 14% wish to shoot a smaller one, so be it. I choose not to shoot anything less than an 8, but I do not wish to dictate my stance to anyone else. Hunting is something different to everyone. It deserves to be a freedom, not regulated to death.

I always like listening to the people who watch these deer shows from Iowa and Kansas and think that we can grow deer like that here.
1.) A small farm out there is 6000 acres. A lot of those shows are shot on 30,000 acre farms. We don't even have very many 6,000 acre farms, much less 30,000 acre ones.

2.) Those farms are locked up to the public and see no pressure. Not to mention the populations of people in those states is miniscule  compared to NY.

The problem is NY is chopped up into tiny parcells in comparison when it comes to farmland. We have many big deer, but because we live in a sue happy state we can't get to tbem. Every farmer posts their land now to try and protect themselves.

We have a doe problem because of the way we issue permits and them hiding on posted or restricted land.

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Aug 25, 2015, 12:31:58 PM »
strait off the dec website

In 2014, only 52 percent of the bucks taken in areas without antler restrictions (48 percent statewide) were 1.5 years old, compared to 67 percent in 2000 and 72 percent in the early 1990s. As a result, even though the statewide buck harvest dropped slightly from the past few years, hunters in 2014 took an estimated 56,247 bucks aged 2.5 years or older, more than ever before.

that's a far cry from 86 percent but it in its self is a good thing in my opinion that were swinging that way. And im sorry but too say we don't have the habitat? And that there farms are bigger? Deer don't know how many acres a farm has. They are just managed better. I can only assume your from the northern part of the state. I also don't understand saying that there farms are locked up to the public so the deer don't get pressured and then saying our farmers are afraid of sue happy people so they post their land "locking" us out. Again a deer doesn't know if its on a private ranch closed to the public or a family farm that's closed to the public. I hunt had the privilege of hunting a farm in stueben county for the last few years. Take a ride around on opening day spikes, four pointers, and six pointers hanging all over the place. Theres plenty of habitat plenty of food but yes a lot of hunters.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #40 on: Aug 25, 2015, 12:46:10 PM »
At the end of the day we don't need antler restrictions or check stations the numbers already show that 86% of hunters in New York pass on small bucks. If the other 14% wish to shoot a smaller one, so be it. I choose not to shoot anything less than an 8, but I do not wish to dictate my stance to anyone else. Hunting is something different to everyone. It deserves to be a freedom, not regulated to death.

I always like listening to the people who watch these deer shows from Iowa and Kansas and think that we can grow deer like that here.
1.) A small farm out there is 6000 acres. A lot of those shows are shot on 30,000 acre farms. We don't even have very many 6,000 acre farms, much less 30,000 acre ones.

2.) Those farms are locked up to the public and see no pressure. Not to mention the populations of people in those states is miniscule  compared to NY.

The problem is NY is chopped up into tiny parcells in comparison when it comes to farmland. We have many big deer, but because we live in a sue happy state we can't get to tbem. Every farmer posts their land now to try and protect themselves.

We have a doe problem because of the way we issue permits and them hiding on posted or restricted land.

Where did you get that 86 percent that seems really high to me.   I agree that NY will not grow the quality of deer that the mid west will but could have nicer bucks if the age class was more balanced.  Maryland has a higher percentage of older class bucks and I see many more big bucks here then I did in NY.  I do believe though that population plays a big part in it. Areas with more deer you see more bucks in a year so people tend to wait on a bigger buck because they get the opportunity at smaller bucks much more often.

Offline jperch

• Forked
« Reply #41 on: Aug 25, 2015, 03:49:44 PM »
I stopped gun hunting in area 9P because 86% of the hunters there shot at anything that was brown and moving.  I am talking about unethical deer drives where lots of deer were wounded, fawns were shot and sometimes left in the woods, etc.  The DEC tried to keep on top of things but did not seem to have the resources to do so.  To me this was not hunting.  I now hunt several small properties, one of which I took out a loan and purchased.  One of these small properties, in the last 3 years, produced a massive 8 pointer which was poached and two 12 pointers.  These were really flukes because we are primarily interested in obtaining food.  We are VERY careful in the manner we hunt so as to not push deer on to other properties.  I think if a person is willing to make sacrifices, and learn, there are big deer out there to be had.  To each their own but almost all the people I know are primarily interested in filling the freezer and a "trophy deer" is in the eyes of the tag holder!   jperch

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #42 on: Aug 25, 2015, 05:29:39 PM »
          In Maine, they have check stations, they are generally country stores or sport shops. The rule is that you have to report your kill
          at the first open registration station you come to. If you don't transport your deer, you don't have to report it. If there isn't one
          open you don't have to report. I got a ticket in the mail a few years ago because I passed a station, didn't realize it, and stopped
          at the next one. The charge was Failure to Register Deer, I argued that I had but the warden, "North Woods Law" it cost me $150! >:(
          I wasn't trying to get away with anything, just an error. DUMB LAW!
Most of them Guide Camps aren't open but they aren't Want trouble you can find it for sure .....

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #43 on: Aug 25, 2015, 05:31:38 PM »
Opening day Steuben County three years ago. Mid day and some of the locals want to go do a drive on this long strip of woods with farm fields on both sides. There were guys in there pushing in 3 directions. I couldn't believe it. I sat in the truck and prayed for the deer.

Offline jperch

• Forked
« Reply #44 on: Aug 25, 2015, 06:42:44 PM »
The state land in 9P I referred to is near Ossian.  I still hunt there during bow season.  The deer population has been decimated there.  The DEC has cut way back on the number of permits they give out there, I believe you will not get an anterless permit unless you have preference points.  We found a button buck  that was left in the woods.  It was shot twice, once was a finishing shot.  We think that the "hunters" left the fawn there because they didn't want to use their scarce permit on such a small deer.  The DEC knows the likely group of drivers and is on the lookout for future issues.  I don't have a solution but a little respect for other hunters, and the deer, would go a long ways.   jperch

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal