Author Topic: 2015-2016 antler less only area  (Read 13073 times)

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
Re: 2015-2016 antler less only area
« Reply #15 on: Aug 19, 2015, 06:10:44 PM »
I am not really for the "earn a buck tag" idea, I am just saying that is the only way to make people shoot a doe.

How much would it stink to have to let a 10 point walk because you couldn't get a shot at a doe yet?!  :o
Oh man, I don't think I could. Besides what's to stop someone from calling in a tag opening day regardless of if they shot a Doe or not?
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Aug 19, 2015, 08:32:06 PM »
They would probably need check stations or every doe tag would be "filled" on opening day. LOL!

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Aug 20, 2015, 04:29:56 PM »
I don't see why people can't just stop shooting small bucks. If you shoot a small buck your obviously not after a trophy so why not shoot a doe. The buck to doe ratio could be better and the science proves it so what's the argument?

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #18 on: Aug 20, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »
I shoot whatever I want, and teach the new hunters I take to do the same. Shot plenty of 1.5yr old bucks. I'll shoot another one and be perfectly happy to not care if someone else has an issue with it. Hunt your own hunt, don't worry about what other people do.
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2015, 09:59:17 PM by stka »

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2015, 11:05:42 AM »
though i dont agree with it i do respect it. me personally i leave the small ones for youngsters and those new to the sort. Im out for a challenge as well as meat so a couple does go in the freezer and then i look for a good buck. Small backs and does around where i am are not a challenge. Now if I still hunted in the Adirondacks it would be a different story. Thats some hard hunting up there.

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #20 on: Aug 23, 2015, 06:32:46 AM »
I shoot whatever I want, and teach the new hunters I take to do the same. Shot plenty of 1.5yr old bucks. I'll shoot another one and be perfectly happy to not care if someone else has an issue with it. Hunt your own hunt, don't worry about what other people do.
AMEN
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #21 on: Aug 23, 2015, 06:33:35 AM »
They would probably need check stations or every doe tag would be "filled" on opening day. LOL!
I would guess so.... Really be tough to enforce ....

Offline jperch

• Forked
« Reply #22 on: Aug 23, 2015, 08:08:27 AM »
How do the "earn a buck" programs work in other states?  Somehow you have to be given a physical tag.  Either you have to bring the doe to a check station or report it online.  Once you report it I suppose the DEC could "spot check" some who report having taken a doe.  Word would quickly get around.  Supposedly they considered this option but did not adopt it because of expense, etc.  The next phase will probably be the early muzzleloader season.
 jperch

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #23 on: Aug 23, 2015, 12:57:34 PM »
We have a earn a buck in MD to use your bonus buck tag.  We have to shoot two does to get it. We just report online or by phone and put the check in # on our license.  I've never had DNR come to inspect.

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Aug 23, 2015, 01:13:37 PM »
I don't see why people can't just stop shooting small bucks. If you shoot a small buck your obviously not after a trophy so why not shoot a doe. The buck to doe ratio could be better and the science proves it so what's the argument?

Not all of us have a chance at a doe. Ive taken the first spike Ive seen and then never saw a deer for the rest of the season.

Offline jperch

• Forked
« Reply #25 on: Aug 23, 2015, 01:34:55 PM »
I hunt in Cayuga County, where the new antlerless policy will apply.  The deer numbers are already much reduced over what they were 5 or 6 years ago.  The herd is healthy and produces nice bucks each year.  A major change on the property I hunt is the impact of coyotes.  I don't know why things have changed during the last 2 or 3 years but the coyotes have become a major player.  They are much more numerous and have become much bolder.  They were a royal pain during turkey season.  They took an adult doe near the house in late May.  We have seen only a couple fawns this year when in the past we would see many.  We regularly see the coyotes during daytime and hear them singing nearly every night.  The house cats mostly refuse to go outside, I kid you not.  I really don't see this new policy having any impact for us.  We hunt primarily for food.  If it's too warm we won't take a deer.  Otherwise I'll happily take a nice fat doe for the freezer.  jperch

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #26 on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:53:03 PM »
Not all of us have a chance at a doe. Ive taken the first spike Ive seen and then never saw a deer for the rest of the season.
Same here, Why should what I harvest concern anyone other than me?

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Aug 23, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »
Because your harvest effects everyone. And I don't mean that in a personal way. Your one harvest may not directly effect me but when large numbers of hunters are willing to shoot any deer they see it makes it even more difficult for people who want to shoot a mature animal. That's why were supposed to report our harvest and that's why its public knowledge and reported to the public every year.  I cant remember the exact number but where antler restrictions were set the number of bucks taken that were older then a year and a half went from a very small percentage up to 50 percent. That's a big increase and in my eyes a good thing. I guess I shouldn't say small and should say young. Id like to see more mature animals harvested. But again that's my opinion and im not attacking anyone else for what they choose to legally do.  Apparently I have some good land to hunt and most of it is public but finding does and small bucks isn't exactly a challenge.

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #28 on: Aug 24, 2015, 06:16:19 AM »

Here where I live, There are some really nice bucks around but they are few and far in between. There are a lot of smaller bucks
             around, and i know if you leave the smaller ones they will become big ones. This is a tough area to hunt, not a lot of farm land and
             a lot of mountains, the deer are very elusive and seem to know when hunting season is upon us or them! I think it should be left
             alone. It has worked this way and it should still work this way in the future!

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Aug 24, 2015, 09:33:30 AM »
I guess I like a little change if its for a better cause. Even if it doesn't make things easy on me. Remember I exclude the Adirondacks and areas where deer per square miles numbers are extremely low but in some areas I would LOVE to see earn a buck as well as heavier antler restrictions. I they have to have check stations so be it, they do it in other states and it works out well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal