Author Topic: Turkey in Idaho.  (Read 11449 times)

Offline hooknhunter

• Forked
Re: Turkey in Idaho.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2011, 02:37:18 PM »
God blessed me this morning with a great turkey hunt!  My son and I have both been sick all week and my son backed out this morning at the last minute.  My wife asked if I was taking my rain gear and I said "No, if it rains hard enough that I need it, I'll just come home.  I don't need pneumonia". 

I didn't expect much as I was going into a new area that is public access and is normally hammered with people.  I found a gobbler on the roost and moved into within about 150 yards.  The lay of the land and the vegetation was perfect for the direction I was coming in.  By the time I located the bird I was past him, so I had to come in from his back side, which was good.  I'm pretty sure they get called to from the other side a lot, but not too often from the back.  I was worried others would hear the gobbling and move in on me, but it never happened.

So I set up about 150 yards away in a bit of a saddle and I had a plan for him to come in from around some brush.  As normal, the turkeys didn't do what I wanted, so when they flew down, they headed through the brush and came in behind me.  I could see them coming through the brush, but I couldn't move.  When the birds came in close, I had both of them at 10 yards, right behind me.  The tom saw my jakester deek and started putting in an inquisitive way, but they didn't run off.  I waited..........

I heard him drumming, so I knew he was strutting, but I could also tell that he had moved off a bit (but I couldn't see them because I didn't dare turn around), so I decided I needed to make a move.  I rolled to my right and turned around.  The hen was still there, in sight, and inside 20 yards.  I was BUSTED!  But she didn't fly?!?  The tom must have seen her looking at me and must have heard my clothing ruffle as I turned, because he popped up over the hill at about 30 yards.  I gave him a full load of 6's and the rest is history.   It started raining just as I got to the truck... :) :) :) :) :) :)

Keep your gunpowder dry and your fishing hooks wet.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2011, 02:53:15 PM »
Good deal, congrat's.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline hooknhunter

• Forked
« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2011, 02:58:31 PM »
Thanks.

Brentster7189

« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2011, 08:33:10 PM »
Congrats on a great day!  The only thing I killed was some grass before it rained.

Offline Archery Central

• Nubbie
« Reply #19 on: Apr 17, 2011, 11:28:12 AM »
hopefully i will be wacking one with the bow this week... congrats....
Matt

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Apr 18, 2011, 12:17:47 PM »
Congrats hnh ;D   great story!! i love the light tips on the back and tail feathers. someday im gonna get me 1 of them perty western birds  ;D
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline hooknhunter

• Forked
« Reply #21 on: Apr 18, 2011, 02:01:33 PM »
White tips?  Those are dark for here!  If I could upload a picture right now I'd put a picture here of a bird my wife shot a few years ago.  It scored 59.5 and had really white tips.  It was the prettiest and the largest turkey I've been associate with.  I also have another picture of one that is really white.  Both would make this one look very dark!  I'll try to remember to put it here later.

Offline BlueDuck

• Nubbie
« Reply #22 on: Apr 29, 2011, 11:14:04 AM »
Congrats on the nice bird hook.  The place I like to hunt is still under a foot or more of snow.  But I should have access in a week or two.  Love them turkeys.....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal