Author Topic: Scents  (Read 2227 times)

Offline nhxbowhunter

• Forked
Scents
« on: Jul 31, 2022, 05:28:55 PM »
Hey Folks.   45 days till bow opens !!!    ::),, So lets talk scents for a moment.. Whats everyones go to scent.. Early season,,,  rut ???
I ve used Buck Bomb for ever,, I ve had pretty good success..main complaint,, you spray it out,,wind blows right on in your face evrytime I swear..  or my gloves smell like it all day.. be eatin a sandwich and dam that smell,,, I am going to try some blackwidow this year,, Branch Butter and smokin sticks to start..
AND ON THE 8TH DAY GOD CREATED WHITETAILS

Offline benny8

• Forked
Re: Scents
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2022, 02:54:27 AM »
hey nhxbowhunter, over the last three years I have used Black Widow scents exclusively. About this time every year, I head out with my branch butter and extreme interest and doctor up my licking vines and ground scrapes. I have one licking vine over a scrape that has been in there three years. I run a camera over it year round. I might not even need to branch butter it as it has been hit year round by big bucks, little bucks, does, fawns and even a bear cub this early summer. I have hundreds of videos of the bucks loving up those licking vines. The vines consist of a small sapling no larger than 3/4" diameter. I tie paracord to the top and hang it from a high branch so it is about waist level. Got this technique from Jeff Sturgis on YouTube. it works great because it swings freely and will not break off. Good Luck this year!

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2022, 07:42:14 AM »
Iv not tried much on mock scapes other then my own piss. Iv found if you make them with a licking branch at the right height deer will visit and hit them if it’s in a location they are already traveling.

As far as doe in heat and sent drags Iv had zero luck with them and have seen multiple bucks walk by where I dragged it and not have a care in the world about it.

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2022, 07:55:47 PM »
I tried different assortments of the gimmicky scents made to attract deer, a long time ago(buck bombs, scent drags, etc). Now these may be proven to work by others but For me, I never had any "additional" luck using them.
So For many years now I prefer to stick to only cover scents. I have a preferred brand. I also use a few drops of Doe-P around my stand when in or a little on the bottom of my boots.  In my experience it calms the does. Have had them hanging 10 yards downwind with no issue more times than I can count.
And we all know come November, where there's does, Mr buck is sure to be around.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2022, 08:22:38 PM by Huntnfish603 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal