Author Topic: Grouse mount  (Read 5102 times)

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
Grouse mount
« on: Oct 13, 2005, 09:14:03 AM »
I was thinking about getting a nice male grouse mounted in the near future.  What am I supposed to do with it after the shot until I can get it to the taxidermist?
If it can't get done outdoors, it isn't going to get done!

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
Re: Grouse mount
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2005, 09:26:00 AM »
With the wood duck I had mounted I just made sure it was dry and then put it in a bread bag and froze it. Making sure the feathers are as straight and flat as possible. I would assume a grouse would be the same.
Adam

Offline toguetaker

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2005, 12:52:45 PM »
Place it into a panthose head first. This keeps the feathers nic and tight and all going in the correct way. Make sure that you get as much blood off the fearhers as possible.

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2005, 09:00:54 AM »
Thanks guys, now I have to get one that is worth mounting without shooting it too hard.
If it can't get done outdoors, it isn't going to get done!

Offline Cow Creek Kurt

• Nubbie
    • Cow Creek Lodge
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 08:17:30 PM »
Place it into a panthose head first. This keeps the feathers nic and tight and all going in the correct way. Make sure that you get as much blood off the fearhers as possible.

That's the recommended method for preserving a bird for taxidermy. Freeze it in a ziploc bag after putting it in a nylon stocking.

Offline flockshot

• 6 Pointer
  • I have a thing for redheads
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2006, 11:26:06 AM »
my taxidermist said never ever put it in pantyhose...its an old way of doing things and its actually worse for the mount...plastic bread bag...and if your worried about getting it smooshed...wrap a towel around the bread bag....no panty hose(ive have 8 ducks mounted..3 last year..) read this sites recomondations..its for ducks...but grouse and phesants are the same http://www.waterfowler.net/index2.html
"Here they come...TAKE'EM"......  I see dead ducks.

Offline bear87

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2006, 04:59:47 PM »
I have a green wing teal at the taxidermist now that was in the freezer for almost a year. It was wrapped in a zip lock bag and the taxidermist said it would be fine. Just ask whoever is going to do your mount and see what they recommend. bear

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal