Author Topic: 1st year turkey hunting  (Read 7713 times)

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Re: 1st year turkey hunting
« Reply #15 on: Apr 13, 2005, 09:03:37 AM »
i call when there close, real low purrs to keep them interested until they are in range unless i know they arent going anywhere and only with a mouth call once my mouth call fell out and i was just sitting there with the bird in range behind a tree and i whistled lightly and the bird stuck his head out to be curious and his curiosity of what its like to be buttered with orange halves toothpicked to him and put on a grill was satisfied ;D

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Apr 13, 2005, 09:07:36 AM »
curiosity is what screws the kitty every time.  ;)

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Apr 13, 2005, 10:22:44 AM »
i call when there close, real low purrs to keep them interested until they are in range unless i know they arent going anywhere and only with a mouth call once my mouth call fell out and i was just sitting there with the bird in range behind a tree and i whistled lightly and the bird stuck his head out to be curious and his curiosity of what its like to be buttered with orange halves toothpicked to him and put on a grill was satisfied ;D

When they're close you only use a mouth call?
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Apr 13, 2005, 10:29:50 AM »
yes cause of the movement they have 20/2000000 vision lol and have a 300 degree feild of view so movement or lack of is crucial also i wear full face camo cause trust me they can see the whites of your eyes at 100 yards and they are very skiddish they have no fight or flight reflex just flight if they arent sure your S.O.L. and have to start all over the next day and i have booted calls more than once and have noticed they run more from the volume than accuracy of the call if your too loud when there close they know something is wrong and are gone but if you squeek a little on accident it usually makes them curious as long as your volume is ok turkeys like humans have different voices so a call thats not perfectly on cue is usually ok JUST DONT MOVE

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Apr 13, 2005, 10:32:14 AM »
i think he only uses a slate and a box call devil-man. i use all 3 methods{box/slate/mouth} all depends on what is going to turn them on that day of course.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Apr 13, 2005, 10:40:48 AM »
i use box and mouth lol box and mouth god its like im 14 lol i dont like slate for some reason i also put a rubber band on my box call and gobble with it

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Apr 13, 2005, 10:50:08 AM »
i will show you an easy way to use your slate call. it is always good to carry a different variety of calls cause you never know what is going to turn them on. i normally carry 2 different box calls, 5 different mouth calls, 1 glass over slate call along with a lonesome hen call. then of course we have your favorite crow and owl calls.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Apr 13, 2005, 10:51:56 AM »
lol i can get them turkeys going at sun up with my crow call i only have 2 box calls and 2 mouth calls

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Apr 13, 2005, 11:15:22 AM »
have you ever used a owl call. that works real good just b-4 sunup. have located and killed alot of birds using that locator call.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Apr 13, 2005, 11:17:21 AM »
yeah anthony has one and swears by it but ill stick to my crow/pike call it has never let me down lol
ill probably get one this year depending on how much the derby costs me

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Apr 13, 2005, 11:28:27 AM »
i would suggest it. you can never have enough equipment. ;D

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Apr 13, 2005, 01:31:27 PM »
Jebus, guys! Are you turning this into another chat room?  ;)
I use a small box, 1 slate, and my CODY glass.
And a lot of scouting...

Arch- did you get that last PM?
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Apr 13, 2005, 01:36:27 PM »
no i didnt get a pm i just do last minute scouting for turkey cause this time of year theyre like rutting deer they are where the hens are and if you know your hunting area all you have to do is roost them a couple times then the night before the opener and then its just up to you

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Apr 14, 2005, 06:24:44 AM »
hey devil-man , yeah this maybe turning into another chat room ;) i do my share of scouting, but it seems they are always there. i have been hunting the same property for almost 20yrs. i know the terain prettywell  and have a good sense of where they are do to hunting there so long.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal