Author Topic: My first buck of the season!  (Read 6354 times)

Offline chimo

• Forked
My first buck of the season!
« on: Oct 28, 2010, 01:56:54 PM »
Got this guy in St Mary's County last Saturday.  I was hunting a piece of property a co-worker owns for the first time.  Gotta say thats a pretty good start and I might have to hunt there again  ;)   Sat in my buddies stand first thing in the morning but didn't like the set up so I decided to get down and reposition on the ground.  Couple does were coming in and spooked just as I hit the ground so I started making a bit of a ground blind from a Holly that had been cut down to open a shooting lane.  As I get done scraping the leaves out of the way and snapping some branches he comes in on a string only stopping once to hook a tree.  Came within 10 yards and stopped behind a tree then figured out something was up and turned right around and was headed back the way he came in.  A whistle stopped him at 15 yards and an arrow in the spine from my crossbow put him down in his tracks!  Wasn't to happy with my shot placement  ::) but loved the results!   :D  I guess he must have thought I was another buck making a scrape the way he came in and the way he acted.  Really got my adrenaline pumping!  Good Hunting

Chimo

Better look at the rack, some people think genetics, others an injury caused it....   What do you guys think? 

Offline SilentStalker

• 8 Pointer
Re: My first buck of the season!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2010, 02:04:09 PM »
Nice Deer!!! Was there any visible injuries on his right side when you cut him up? I heard that horns get weird on the opposite side of an injury. Correct me if I'm wrong experts. And you should hook up with Drobs, he's got the deer feeding out of his hands!! ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2010, 02:23:12 PM »
Wow, another Maryland hunter.. I thought Drobs was the only one....     Nice deer Chimo... Congratulations...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Skidda

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2010, 04:45:44 PM »
Congrats on your deer! Looks like it couldn't decide if it is a boy or a man! ;D

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2010, 06:14:19 PM »
Nice Deer!!! Was there any visible injuries on his right side when you cut him up? I heard that horns get weird on the opposite side of an injury. Correct me if I'm wrong experts. And you should hook up with Drobs, he's got the deer feeding out of his hands!! ;D

you are exactly right ss
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline chimo

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2010, 05:27:53 AM »
Would that have been injuries to the right side of the head / neck or just injuries on the right side of the body period?  I had never heard anything about that before and didn't notice anything. 

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2010, 05:45:18 AM »
Cool Buck Chimo...way to go...
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline SilentStalker

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2010, 07:05:26 AM »
I believe it is just the right side of the body period, including back leg, feet, etc. I'm thinking that depending on the severity of injury, if it has healed, he may have started to grow "normal" horns again. But I would guess that iof it was a nagging injury, then he may have continued to have the deformed Left horn for years to come. Either way man heck of a buck.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2010, 08:09:53 AM »
Welcome to the site!! Thats a very unique buck for sure!! Yes some studies have shown that if injured on the right side the left antler will be affected.
I'm still on the fence with it. The 8 in my avatar had the right shoulder blade completely severed across the top. The piece that broke off was grown into
the loin actually. The shoulder blade had regrown into the tendens. And he was pretty simetrical. I believe genetics have a lot to do with the way some antlers grow. Like typicals and non-typicals. Either way, I happen to like non-typical type racks. They have character!! Way to go, congrats!!

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2010, 02:09:05 PM »
Nice buck chimo and welcome back.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2010, 06:57:08 PM »
Now I'm not sure Drobs if you are the best hunter on here from Maryland...LOL... ;D
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2013, 09:20:58 AM »
Nice buck congrats! I'd say its from an injury but could be genetics.

Offline chimo

• Forked
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »
Wow, digging up an oldie!  Gotta say I was surprised to see it was my post when I clicked on it!  Welcome to the site  :)

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2013, 01:55:46 PM »
Wow, digging up an oldie!  Gotta say I was surprised to see it was my post when I clicked on it!  Welcome to the site  :)

I missed this post some how , Must have been while i was in Maine hunting this past fall
    Did he have an old injury on his right side , Very u nik rack   ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal