Author Topic: Got out today  (Read 2485 times)

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
Got out today
« on: Jan 04, 2020, 06:56:46 PM »
Went on the hill today to mark out my snowmobile trail and look for some sheds. I see some people have been finding a few and wanted to look before the heavier snowfall covers them up. I see close to 50 deer today. From 100 yards to 250 yards its amazing how far you can see with snow and no leaves. I spooked one good heavy bodied Buck still sporting some head gear. He was checking out in a hurry, so couldn't tell if he still had both sides. Most of the deer I saw up close (100 yards) were Doe and yearlings. Thinking some Doe might still be hot as I could see blood in some urine and it looked as though there was some chasing going on way out. From the spot in the video I've posted, I can see  a long ways down to the flat at the bottom of the hill with all the snow and no more leaves on the oaks. Without the range finder, I'll guess 300 yards or more even with all the trees. Its basically a bowl with a steep ledge and a great place to find deer this time of year. Most of the deer I see were with Turkey's.  It seems they take advantage of the Turkey's aggressive pawing of the ground. I watched as many as 6 deer feed 3' from a dozen Turkeys at the base of the ledge for about 30 minutes. Never saw a deer paw the ground once as the Turkey's were tearing it up enough for them all. Makes me wish I had a real good recorder. Found a hide of a yearling the coyotes had dragged about. Found the pelvis and it was extremely small. Should be up sitting on that hide tonight waiting for another scavenger!! But I'm going fishing in the morning. All in all a great day in the woods when you can witness what I did today. Never have I seen so many deer scattered about.
patience, persistence, presentation

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Got out today
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2020, 07:34:50 PM »
Cool.  There must be something good to eat down there ...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2020, 09:46:59 PM »
Nice work getting out there! Let us know how you do on the hardwater!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2020, 06:13:07 AM »
Seeing very few deer around here. With the winter being so mild, everyone is thinking they are still up in the hills, on the acorns. Most winters, by now they have moved. Am seeing a couple bucks with horns. Saw a spike this week that had dropped one side.
Thanks for sharing the video...h2l
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2020, 06:18:22 AM by hunts2long »
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal