Author Topic: Baiting Ban For Entire Lower Peninsula  (Read 6631 times)

Offline mbrooks

• Nubbie
Baiting Ban For Entire Lower Peninsula
« on: Aug 27, 2008, 09:00:09 AM »
In case you didn't here it on the news. This is a portion of what's on the DNR's web site:

In the wake of Monday's announcement that Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been confirmed in a three-year old privately-owned white-tailed deer in Kent County, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources is acting immediately to implement provisions of the state's Surveillance and Response Plan for CWD.

Among the provisions is an immediate ban on all baiting and feeding of deer and elk in the Lower Peninsula. DNR conservation officers will step up surveillance and enforcement efforts on baiting. Baiting and feeding unnaturally congregate deer into close contact, thus increasing the transmission of contagious diseases such as CWD and bovine tuberculosis. Bait and feed sites increase the likelihood that those areas will become contaminated with the feces of infected animals, making them a source of CWD infection for years to come.

Offline pooley

• 6 Pointer
  • don't shoot the 2 legged dear!
Re: Baiting Ban For Entire Lower Peninsula
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2008, 06:49:44 PM »
i still can't believe they let you bait deer to begin with!

Offline mbrooks

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2008, 09:47:39 AM »

I just like watching them come up to my feeder in the back yard every night. Guess I'll have to find another sort of entertainment. This year I've been having a doe and her fawn  here almost every night.... pretty cool to watch

Offline out door man

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2008, 10:11:32 AM »

If a store can bait you will sales ad.. then i sound be able to bait for deer
Get The Spud Launcher !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline icefisher69

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2008, 02:31:58 PM »
I use bait every once in awhile and the ban isn't gonna effect my hunting!!! If you do your home work,you don't need bait! I do feel sorry for all the little mom&pop store's that rely on that income to help them get by.

Offline Bgreen02

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2008, 09:59:15 PM »
Was at Bass pro getting a deer call and looked down the feed aisle and they had signs up talking about the ban. Looked like the aisle hadn't been touched in a month. Bet the outdoor stores and small farmers are hitting this.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2008, 08:07:05 AM »
First I'll say, each to their own, I wouldn't try to stop anyone from legally hunting over bait. But doesn't it take the hunting out of hunting? I can go two weeks or more without seeing a deer, and I'm fine with that it makes the ones I get that much more gratifying.

Offline CJ_FISH

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2008, 07:02:05 PM »
dose anyone know if things like come mere deer and other things like that are considered baiting?

Offline Bgreen02

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2008, 08:39:10 AM »
Yes they are. Anything the deer can consume or uses minerals or natural foods is considered bait.

Offline Hollywood703

• Nubbie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2008, 04:10:31 AM »
Anything they can consume, including salt, supplements etc. Doe in heat etc are still legal, just not food type products, apples corn etc.

Offline Bgreen02

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2008, 09:17:56 AM »
This is what the DNR states as bait

What is considered bait?
According to state law, “bait” for deer is “a substance composed of grains, minerals, salt, fruit,
vegetables, hay or any other food material, whether natural or manufactured, which may lure,
entice or attract deer.”

Offline usmarine2001

• Nubbie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2008, 08:55:28 AM »
So if you read what the law says I "could" be in violation of michigan law because my deer stand sits on the edge of a corn field, and a hay field on a little strip of trees. But yet the city of Rochester Hills Mi can hire "sharpshooters" (off duty deputies) to take out some of the deer there. They had better do it in the correct deer season and by the same laws I follow. I for the last 10 years or so have always left something out for the deer to eat on, through the winter months only. One deer and it was privatly owned, what happened to the ranch? All the ranches? As far as I know they are still open and in business. Weren't those owners susposed to have papers or whatnot about the animals they brought in? or get them checked by a vet? This still irratates the hell outa me.. Where's the mob with pitch forks and torches forming............

Offline outbackshooter

• Spiked
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2009, 09:17:41 PM »
Hello, new to site
I've never been a baiter but don't discourage it, D.N.R says baitpiles congragate deer in which they will come nose to nose , and their saliva is left on said bait for the next deer to come in contact with. Now I'm 41 yrs old been hunting since I was 12 shooting since I could hold a gun,been in the woods my entire life. I have seen deer come nose to nose when they meet in the woods, smelling eachother like dogs,And what about licking branches? Ears of corn that more than one deer eat off? I could go on and on, but my point is whats the difference between all the natural things deer do, and a bait pile? sorry for the length but it could have been longer ;D

Offline squirrelhunterjay

• Nubbie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2009, 12:04:06 AM »
Hello, new to site
I've never been a baiter but don't discourage it, D.N.R says baitpiles congragate deer in which they will come nose to nose , and their saliva is left on said bait for the next deer to come in contact with. Now I'm 41 yrs old been hunting since I was 12 shooting since I could hold a gun,been in the woods my entire life. I have seen deer come nose to nose when they meet in the woods, smelling eachother like dogs,And what about licking branches? Ears of corn that more than one deer eat off? I could go on and on, but my point is whats the difference between all the natural things deer do, and a bait pile? sorry for the length but it could have been longer ;D
i agree with everything you just said

Offline droptine83

• Nubbie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:07:41 AM »
First I'll say, each to their own, I wouldn't try to stop anyone from legally hunting over bait. But doesn't it take the hunting out of hunting? I can go two weeks or more without seeing a deer, and I'm fine with that it makes the ones I get that much more gratifying.
Amen! Thats what I thought to.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal