Author Topic: Close Call!  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Swampbuckster

• Forked
  • I'm out of here, to the great outdoors.
    • Lower Michigan Hunting & Fishing
Close Call!
« on: Oct 04, 2007, 02:21:39 PM »
Had a close call last night while walking back to my treestand. I hunt a long fenceline that runs north and south for maybe four hundred yards and at it's widest point, it might get one hundred yards wide. I had one stand set on the SE side of the tree line and I told my buddy Keith to jump to the east side of the fence, head north until you see the stand. I proceeded to head north as well but on the west side of the fence line. If you can imagine the distance between me and him, about sixty yards or so of thick briar and brush, we were about paralell with each other when all of a sudden, a deer gets up between me and my buddy and I hear it crashing it's way towards me.  I look to my right and all I see are antlers moving up and down. The buck is heading right towards me and The last sight I saw was it coming down from a leap and it's massive rack heading right at me, I don't know who was more scared, me or the buck! I literally had to jump out of the way so that this buck wouldn't trample me down as he busted through the brush and out into the bean field. The buck ran out, followed by a doe, and I watched them both run across the field. I don't know much about scoring, but it was an exceptional buck with about a five or six inch drop tine on his right side, around a twenty inch spread and maybe a big eight or ten? Not sure, that was the last thing I was keeping track of. I was more focused on getting the hell out of the way! I've heard the stories like that, but never thought that I almost would be telling one!
Say Fred, you go up that ridge......and I'll go down in the swamp.....we'll get that buck. -The Nuge

Offline grousemaster789

• 6 Pointer
Re: Close Call!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2007, 02:41:22 PM »
haha should have grabbed his antlers and held on
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact." -Aldo Leopold

Offline Swampbuckster

• Forked
  • I'm out of here, to the great outdoors.
    • Lower Michigan Hunting & Fishing
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2007, 10:49:26 AM »
 :D I thought about it. That would be one heck of a ride though!
Say Fred, you go up that ridge......and I'll go down in the swamp.....we'll get that buck. -The Nuge

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2007, 11:15:36 AM »
Wow, jump to the side and let fly with the arrow. 
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal