Author Topic: New to Trapping  (Read 1898 times)

Offline FRESHBAIT

• Forked
New to Trapping
« on: Jul 22, 2012, 10:41:21 AM »
I'm brand new to trapping!!!  But I've caught the bug.  I've always been interested in trying some trapping, so this year I just bit the bullet and bought 3 doz traps.  1dz Conibear 110's,  1 dz Conibear 220's, and 1 dz Duke #3's with 4 springs.  I'm gonna try and trap some mink, weasel, muskrat, martin with the conibear's and Coyote, Fox, Bobcats with the #3's.  Now I'm just waiting on all my goodies to show up in the mail. 

Here's a few questions what does everyone use to dispatch their catches?  Stick or .22?  How many people are using catch poles to release the ones you have to let go? 
What types of bait/lures should I be using.  I've been reading everything I can and asking a million questions to people that trap. 

I'm hoping that this will fill some of the gap after deer season and give me and my two boys 6.5 and 5 something to do together to run the trap line. 

Offline trapperjohn87

• Forked
  • can't wait to string some steel
Re: New to Trapping
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »
The lure and bait depend on the time of year and set ur making. I use a .22 and stick and drown some of the animals just depends what's handy to use. I use a catch pole sometime to release the animal depending on where its at or how its caught and what animal it is. The best advice I can give u is experiment and use what works best for u and ur boys. I wish u all the best of luck and recommend joining ur local trappers association they will be the biggest help to u. If u have further questions feel free to pm me or ask for my number and I'll help u out to the best of my ability.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal