Author Topic: Pre-season scouting  (Read 3152 times)

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
Pre-season scouting
« on: Aug 29, 2004, 08:26:38 AM »
Ok guys, spill it, who's seeing what? ;D  I don't want locations, just what's being seen.  I have been pleasantly suprised with the number of above average bucks I have seen already this season.  I haven't seen anything monsterous yet but have seen many nice 2 year old 8 point bucks in the 17-18" range.  I did see a buck the other night that I didn't get a good luck at.  It was 18"+ wide and a VERY HEAVY, massive rack.  The straight away view I had didn't let me get a count on points but this is definately a deer I will be investigating further.

Offline reubenpa

• Forked
  • OH MY... I can't stop shaking!!!
Re: Pre-season scouting
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2004, 01:47:24 PM »
unfortunately I haven't been able to get onto the land I will be hunting this year, as the guy that is getting me permission to hunt there and I haven't beena ble to hook up yet to show me where it is, so my buck have been seen on only posted land... that stins!   >:( >:(

If I owned land it would be posted, but I hae posted signs.....

I went out before dark to see deer and saw a doe and two buck in a bean field.  the one buck was a small 6 I think and thent he other was at least an 8 maybe more, couldn't tell for sure,a nd it was 1-4 inches wider than the ears... 
   Then not far from my house where I can't find the owner I looked the same night and saw 10-15 deer at least 2 were buck but it was dark enough I couldn't really tell how many points or if there were more buck. The one buck was smaller and the other was about to the ear tipps maybe more. 

I took a trip to Middlesex NY were it seems that everything is heavily posted and my wife and i saw 34 deer in one field, and there were two buck that were probably 10 inches wide and a foot high, strange rack, and two that I couldn't really tell the size, and three that were 8 points approx apice and out to the ears...   Then a monster....
I have never seen a buck like this and it would make many in the knight and hale ultimate whitetail X video look small.  It was 2-3 inches wider than the ears on each side and was very heavy and at least 10 points.  It was dark enough I couldn't get a clear enough view to get the exact points but the points were long and thick and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a good 12 point...  a brush pile.   

3 miles p the road we saw another buck, but it was too dark to really see number of pointsbut it was well beyond the ears when it looked toward us.

Then I was driving down a road and saw 3 deer in a field so I stopped to look. These may not have been on posted land, I am going back to look again more thoroughly, but the 3 were buck. One smaller one probably a 6 and two 8 pointers one probably 14-16 inches and the other about 18 inches...  I love finger lakes NY!!! I have never seen deer like this or caught such nice fish!!!!!-
Come on Archery season

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal