Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU THINK THE BUCK LIMIT IN NY SHOULD BE SHOULD THERE BE A POINT RESTRIC  (Read 6833 times)

Offline tughillmcd

• Spiked
Coyotes to me are a non-issue. It's nature's way. Predator and prey. Been going for thousands of years.

Yes it is natures way, but the problem is man has disrupted the natural balance of things. The coyote is thriving today more than ever. It used to be the coyote was timid around humans when their numbers were in better control. They are adjusting to mans development of their habitats and are now growing in numbers. The more of them there are the more they will kill. I don't advocate eliminating them as some natural selection is good for the herd, survival of the fittest, but since their population and range is growing, the deer herds as well as other game is diminishing. It requires some balance. They are also encroaching on populated areas which 20 to 30 years ago was considered rare. Today they are living in cities and suburbs. This is a sign they have overpopulated the more remote areas.

Offline pikeon

• Nubbie
The current buck limit is fine. We pay for the opportunity to harvest bucks. If you bow or muzzeload hunt you pay to take buck or doe. Perhaps the state should charge for Doe permits. This may discourage hunters from appling for these permits just because they are available for the asking.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
I think the buck limit is fine the way it is.Most years im lucky to get a crack at one.But in counties where deer numbers are high guys can fill all of their tags.In oneida county i could fill all my doe tags if i wanted to but for the sake of the herds i dont.Im not selective in the bucks i take a spike horns enough of a trophy for me.If i get a big one its icing on the cake.For what you get with the super sportsman i cant complain with the price compared to other states.
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline gunner1

• Spiked
I don't understand why people think killing alot of does is bad for the deer herd. In this state, most two year old does have twins, if not triplets every spring. If the sex ratio to the twins is 1:1, then in three years that doe fawn is going to have produced between five and seven off spring. What we need is a more balanced sex ratio. Think about how many does you see compared to bucks in a season. If we had more bucks than does or at least a ratio approaching 1:1, we would see more deer in the woods during hunting season since those bucks would be actively searching for the smaller number of does. The way it is now, they don't have to look for or travel far to satisfy their reproductive needs.

Offline XII Outdoors

• 6 Pointer
I believe the limit is fine the way it is.  I hunt in Allegany Co. and the deer numbers have definitely have dwinled.  The problem i believe is poachers and predators.  The monitoring of poachers is a task that is almost impossible to do.  The coyote population is growing in alarming numbers too.  I think we can off set some cost by increasing the cost of non-resident huting/fishing licenses.  I would also like to see non-residents be limited to one buck/doe per season, irregardless of how the animal is harvested.  I do not think there should be a spread/point restriction. 
I live in Syracuse and the deer population in and around the city, where hunting is prohibited, is constantly growing.  I would like to see the animals relocated to areas that are more suitable.  This would reduce the number of accidents and help the populations grow where they are already reduced.  I dont know if that would ever happen but I think it would have positive results. 
I would also like to see the strict restrictions for the use of crossbows for disabled hunters be loosened.  My father is not physically capable of pulling a bow and now loses on the enjoyment of bow hunting.  With that being said, I dont feel that anyone with a doctors note should be allowed to use a crossbow.  I would just like to see the restrictions revistited by lawmakers.

Good luck to all this season, we may have different views but we all love to hunt.
shoot straight

Offline MZukovsky

• Spiked
I think the best thing for NY would be to go to one buck a year regardless if you kill one on the first day or the last. I think antler restrictions could be bad because then people are killing "the best" year and a half old bucks and leaving the so called runts to breed and spread the weaker genes. If each hunter can only kill one that leaves plenty of bucks to grow so all the QDM'ers are happy, and all the "meat hunters" are happy because they can still kill any buck. Also if NY had temporary tags for a deer and then it was mandatory to go to a check station and get a permanent tag for the deer it would help control untagged animals. If your caught with an animal that doesnt have the permanent tag and its more than 24 hours old... no more hunting license, no questions asked.

Offline yesjacker

• Nubbie
  i agree w/ the one buck thing a 100% but check stations add another hassel that we hunters dont need.  We're losing hunters every year, lets not make more work.

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
Antler restrictions suck,how can someone count a deers point when he just jumped a buck an has a split second to shoot it before its gone.Most just shoot them anyway and if its under the requirements they get junior license holders to tag them (That dont have the same restrictions in PA),and if not they let them lay there to rot.Its not fair to the honest hunters or the deer IMO!!!!!

Offline MZukovsky

• Spiked
If the animal is moving that quickly do you really think you should be shooting and risking wounding the animal?

Offline BigBuckTaker16

• 6 Pointer
  • It must be the "hat"
I think it would be kind of good to have a point restriction, but then again, us northern zone hunters hunt too hard to finally have a crack at a buck, and then not take it because its too small. Personally, I know what i'm after, and I passed up probably a dozen different bucks last year. I'll probably do the same this year too.
Iceshanty= AirManCam

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
If the animal is moving that quickly do you really think you should be shooting and risking wounding the animal?

You don't get many bucks standing around saying shoot me around here,especially after the first day opener.I use a  270 pump and when I jump a buck I shoot at it when its running,I will even empty my gun if it stays in view long enough to do that. ;D

But remember im not a stump sitter,I either drive deer or am still hunting them.I just don't have enough patience to wait out a buck sitting in a tree.

Offline MZukovsky

• Spiked
So you would rather wound an animal and never recover it than just let it go?

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Guys hunting around our farm do that. They see a deer and just start blasting away. I thank god I'm in a tree stand. My dad shot an 8-pointer 2 years ago that had bullet wounds in the nose and part of the spine.  My dad taught me the same thing his father taught him. Take 1 shot, make it count, that is all you need.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline snelly

• Spiked
I think the bucks antler size is fine Your selling a tag to a hunter he should have the right to determine what is a "trophy in his eyes" a trophy isn"t determined by the number of points, but what it meant to that person. to me sometimes the hunt itself means more than the deer.  know matter what the point count it's still only one buck. As for doe permits, I don't think dec puts enough thought into the process of determining numbers of permits issued for a certain area. they look at past numbers of kill in an area. I get the feeling sometimes they just go with what was done in the past. Not considering other factors geography, size of the area, public hunting rights of an area, state land, and urban development should all be considered. But I do think that harvesting does is very important in mangement of the deer herd. Dec just needs to put a little more thought in the process. Not just go with what's been done in the past. As far as the coyotes nature has a way of con trolling them although sometimes not a good solution for people. Through deseases such as mange and rabies just to name a few. Overpopulation of coyotes can also be a factor in reducing there numbers. It promotes all these deseases.

Offline Mentiply

• 6 Pointer
I think the bucks antler size is fine Your selling a tag to a hunter he should have the right to determine what is a "trophy in his eyes" a trophy isn"t determined by the number of points, but what it meant to that person.

I couldn't agree more. Last year was my second year hunting and I was lucky enough to get a small 6 pointer. It was the first buck I have ever seen in the woods while hunting and had antler restriction rules been in effect I would have had to let my chance to harvest a deer pass me by. At the time I would not have been able to tell if each point was long enough and I never saw another buck for the rest of the season (I had a dmp so I still went out). To me that first deer will always be a Trophy in my eyes and I would never want to tell anyone else they could not have that opportunity.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal