MHF Canada > Saskatchewan
whitetails
<< < (2/3) > >>
buzzbomb:
 Field dressed weight of 275 would translate into what carcass weight?  Still  about 220 wouldn't it?  I'm trying to guess what the head, hide, hocks and hooves would weigh.   Why would anyone want to spend  $6 grand  to go hunting when there's deer that  big in their own back yard?  I'm not knocking it straight off, mind you, I just can't get my head around that kind of money.  Let's face it, that world record from Biggar was a freak and Hanson was just lucky to shoot it, and doubly lucky that whoever shot the right main beam with the .308 didn't shatter the rack and render it worthless.  Most pictures I've seen of deer from the eastern states seemed to have good sized antlers, but were small bodied compared to the larger bucks here.  If they're growing that big in Maine, then Maine should be the deer hunting mecca, not Sask. ;)
Spicoli:
I would have to disagree. I do not believe that you can find much biggar deer anywhere else in the world than saskatchewan, alberta, and manitoba, you just have to look at the deer taken every year, there will be a few nice deer taken everywhere else, but i mean lots of places will have deer being fed crops grown to make biggar antlers. Just pick up a magazine like big buck. It will show you everything you need to know.
buzzbomb:
I just cut a deal to get the first week of Nov. as holidays owed from last year so I'll see if I can't find one for you ;) Normally I just go early, then get back to work by noon but this time I'll be able to put a little more effort into it.  It's been about 4 years now since I've shot a big buck and I have to admit I've got the itch.  I thumbed thru Big Buck the other day in the store and it's nice to see the big racks, but those hunting and fishing magazines all seem redundant to me..  Not that I know it all, but I know enough of it to get by, and probably enough so I'm not going to change the way I do things much.  I started taking rattling antlers with me about 10 years ago, and calling with bleats about the same time after seeing them used on tv,(like stamping your foot a couple of times to get a curious doe in, wow!) but lots of gadgets I reject as unnecessary or just plain gimmicky.
buzzbomb:
After going out 4 times and only seeing does, I finally saw a couple of bucks yesterday, and one's a Buster! Big big big big big, and a wide rack too.  Not tending any does, but neck swollen way up and looking ready.  I wouldn't take the iffy shot (150+ yds and downhill......I'm slug hunting) even though I've taken them that far out in the past, I'd rather never see him again than risk wounding and losing him.  If there weren't 12" tines, I'd bet there were 10"ers ....record book? no, but I'd take him in a heartbeat.  This one'd have a carcass weight of 200+ easy. ;D  I'm going to keep trying!
trev.357:
buzzbomb so your slug hunting .now that means your hunting in moosejaw/Regina zone or the Saskatoon zone  thats not that big of an area  for me to find that big one you saw .lol 
  one more week and reg rifle season opens  i have not seen that many big ones yet only two that might go 140-150, but i have found the doe's and lots of them on a regular pattern so it is just a matter of time before the big boy's start moving in on them . hopefully we get some snow the night of the opener. and as for the bigger deer up here i always have to chuckle when i see those doe's with antlers for the lower u.s states(ie. Texas) they have good head gear but the body size I'd have to watch out for my dog down there.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version