MHF Canada > Saskatchewan
whitetails
(1/3) > >>
bear baiter:
was just wondering if what i hear about saskatchewan is true about your giant whitetails my dream hunt is up there but i want a giant whitetail though just wondering if the stories i hear are true
buzzbomb:
I dunno, what did you hear about them?   ??? There's some big ones but it usually takes some looking (or some good luck) if you want a real big one.  Non Canadians are restricted to the northern 2/3 of the Province for big game to keep out the day-trippers and boost the guide business.  That's not really bad news though, as there are big deer up in the mixed forest area. The year after Milo shot the record buck I saw trucks with plates from all over the states heading north, some with those plastic decoys strapped into the back.  :D  The hunting synopsis is available on-line...look for SERM or Saskatchewan Environment Resource Management and just keep clicking.  My cousins guide American deer and bear hunters every year and they seem to have good success.  I used to look at that Big Buck magazine and I think  Manitoba and Alberta have their share too. 
moosetalker:
I have ben there 2 times and yes its true.But the hunt is over BAIT .You will see alot of deer.Price   $3500.00 Lice $300.00,geting in by flying $950.00 motel $100.00,tips $150.00 extra stuff $300.00 = over $5000.00 BUCKS  :'(I like ALBERTA WAY better. But that hunt is $4750.00 fly $950.00 Extra $400.00 over $6,000.00 I got a 9 piont 235lb with a bow in alberta this sept.Saw 2 BOONERS and saw over 150 deer
buzzbomb:
Bait?  I didn't know that.  I figured it was a given they were shooting the bears over bait but deer?  It  hasn't worked in the southern part of the province for me at all, (I guess because there's just too much natural food around).  I've tried putting piles of crabapples - no result to speak of, and a salt block - big deal, they already go lick the salt where the closest farmer has cattle.  Where I hunt I'm nearly always interdicting deer between their feeding and bedding areas and if they stop to browse it's only for a minute or two .....  Hunting beside the water hole, or setting up in the alphalfa field the mulies like ....that works and could be considered hunting over bait.    If you like I could phone my cousin and ask if they use bait? I can ask just what goes on up there.  He lives near where that record was taken, but I believe the guiding goes on farther north.  All he told me about it was that he takes his guys out and puts them in tree stands .  I just assumed it was in the right places since he's got 40 yrs of experience at hunting them.  I know it's legal here to bait deer but except for me (and those apples) and the odd guy with a decoy, I've never heard of anyone actually doing it (though I know they're selling those blocks to someone). A friend put a mineral block near his boathouse 2 years ago and it doesn't seem to have attracted any of the resident deer.  The cost! $5000 U.S.? Yikes! I pay $11 for a habitat cert., $33 for the either sex license, and $20 for an antlerless tag.  That's $64 Cdn to shoot 2 deer and I don't have to go far to do it. I know that in the states there's high priced hunts on some of those game ranches where they set up towers (seen it in  magazines), but I've never actually hunted out of a stand in a tree. Moosetalker, is 235 the carcass weight?  If so that's a real bruiser!  9 pt is  the overall count, right? What we'd call a 4x5? The biggest I've ever seen weighed 220 dressed out (no skin or head) and that was in 1970 (my first deer hunt, and it was a 33 pt non-typical and every ounce was tough! :D).  This one from 1992 probably went in the 200 lb. range naked in the woodshed.  I've gotten several others as big in the last 10 or so years, but not every year! :D A couple had bigger antlers, but lacked the mass and big bases this one had. None of them would of been record book material, but there's a pretty good pile of horns all together. I'm a meat hunter, anyway...last year I passed on a doe at 20 ft. thinking, "I haven't shot a big buck in a few years, maybe I'll try"...went out 10 more times then wound up shooting a 2nd doe anyway! I used to see a real hat-rack every year, but not for the last few years, and 3 years ago I let one big buck walk and shot the smaller one because he was the only biggie I'd seen all year. Bear in mind, I'm only hunting 2 or 3 spots near where I live, and not road hunting putting on hundreds of miles so I'm less likely to see as many as some folks.   It all depends on the weather here and sometimes the consequences of a bad winter can take several years to show in the pop. as there are fewer breeders being born after a heavy snow.  There should be lots this year, though, last year wasn't too bad.  This one was a 5 pt,(each side) with a count of 13 overall counting the stickers.
moosetalker:
yes thats dressed,In maine I have saw 275 dressed 3 times
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version