Author Topic: 444 mARLIN  (Read 17424 times)

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
Re: 444 mARLIN
« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »
make him use a single shot 12ga for a season. then i bet he would be more appreciative of one of your 57 bang sticks u offered.

btw, just out of curiosity. why are you buying it for him if hes sixteen?  i have always had to work for my guns trucks etc even before that age.  kids these days :-\

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #16 on: Sep 10, 2013, 05:06:38 PM »
make him use a single shot 12ga for a season. then i bet he would be more appreciative of one of your 57 bang sticks u offered.

btw, just out of curiosity. why are you buying it for him if hes sixteen?  i have always had to work for my guns trucks etc even before that age.  kids these days :-\

Amen!!!
Peddler

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 10, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »

X-2 Amen ....

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #18 on: Sep 10, 2013, 06:30:22 PM »

I always worked and payed for my stuff well more forced to work as my grandparents owned a farm lol. But I was luck my grandfather would loan me money that I would work off.  I'm pretty sure his interest rate varied on his moods lol.   I learned quick smashing trucks gets expensive on the bright side learned how to be a backyard mechanic lol

Offline Cornbread

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2013, 04:29:01 AM »

++1

I told my son he can borrow my rifle for deer seasons until he comes to live with me and then he can have mine when I buy a new one but he will have to work off the price of the old one.

I was given two guns in my whole life, one when I was 10 and it was a .22 from my uncle for working on his farm that summer. The other is a black powder rifle my best friend's father gave me before he died. I'd die before I'd part with either one but every gun I have other than those two I bought including my first deer gun (single shot 20ga I used with slugs, I still have it) I have had to buy with my own cash earned working everything from my trap-line to dish washing at a college. Oh and the Marine Corps loaned me a gun for 8 years so I guess that one was free too but in a way I feel I paid for the use of that one, 8 years in the infantry isn't exactly a free gun :)

If my son demanded a 444 that is how many push-ups he would be doing after he picked his azz up off the floor and even then he still wouldn't get the gun. He had to buy his own cell phone and pay for the plan and minutes each month and that was just a phone he only gets to turn on walking to and from school and that is only because my ex convinced me he should have one for safety sake walking to and from school(he is 13, 5'7" and has bigger feet than me, I figure he can use those clod hoppers to run if somebody tries to grab him but my ex won this argument because she makes him pay for the phone).

Man that would get me fired up if my kid demanded a gun. I don't know this guys situation but unless my kid had cancer and this was his make-a-wish there is no way on God's green earth I would ever entertain a request like that.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2013, 06:41:35 AM »
Yup
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline chris338378

• Forked
« Reply #21 on: Sep 13, 2013, 02:07:03 PM »
I'll be the odd man out and point out something.  Chez posted the following:

wHO KNOWS. HIS HEART IS SET ON THIS GUN.iM GOING TO PICK IT UP MONDAY,
[/quote

I know a lot of guys jumped all over him about making his kid work and I agree kids should work and pay their way.  However he said he's going to pick it up, not that he's buying it for the kid.  Could he be buying it?  Sure.  But it could be the kid gave him the money to pay for it and Chez is going to get the gun for the kid because the kid can't buy it himself because of his age.  Maybe the guy should be cut a break.  Just my $0.02.

Offline chez

• Forked
« Reply #22 on: Sep 16, 2013, 07:38:10 AM »
Thanks for the backup Chris.I appreciate it.I am paying half for the gun and my son is paying the other half.I guess im just a big soft father.He is a good kid,

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Sep 16, 2013, 10:17:55 AM »
I'm sure the 444 will be a great gun for your son. thats what I started hunting with when I was 16. It has plenty of a punch for whitetail. Not too much of a kick, and I was only a buckfourty back then. It was my big brothers favorite gun and it just had a straight 4x scope. This way you didn't have to worry about shooting farther than the shooters effective range the gun is deffinatly capable of much more but was my families simple rule of thumb. The old marlin is still used every fall as it is his favorite gun/ caliber. I'm sure your son will love the new gun. Enjoy it !!

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #24 on: Sep 16, 2013, 10:44:43 AM »
One thing I've learned is that no one should be telling a parent how to raise their children, and I definitely have wanted to plenty of times with my job. Sounds like chez is doing a good job raising his boys and if he can afford it who cares, its nobody's business. Sounds like he will enjoy the gun. Big bores make big holes and put them down.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline chez

• Forked
« Reply #25 on: Sep 16, 2013, 11:17:57 AM »
One thing I've learned is that no one should be telling a parent how to raise their children, and I definitely have wanted to plenty of times with my job. Sounds like chez is doing a good job raising his boys and if he can afford it who cares, its nobody's business. Sounds like he will enjoy the gun. Big bores make big holes and put them down.

THANK YOU GUYS ><APPRECIATE IT.

Offline chez

• Forked
« Reply #26 on: Sep 18, 2013, 07:29:14 AM »
Picked up the 444 MARLIN for my son BIRDMAN last nite.Great looking rifle. 1 ding on the whole gun.Its got a cheap Bushnell Scope on it. I paid $400.00 for the rifle.I have plans on replacing the scope for his birthday in november.Im hoping to order a CABELAS HORNABY EVELOUTION SCOPE for it.I have one on my 4570 and love it.Plan on shooting the gun Sunday.Thanks again for all the input an opinons on the subject.You guys have a great sucsessful year hunting.Good luck and Be safe :) :)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #27 on: Sep 18, 2013, 07:31:12 AM »
Sounds like a real nice gun Chez...  I'm sure your son will love it and enjoy it for many years....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Sep 18, 2013, 09:46:26 AM »
good luck. cant wait to see it leaning on deer hide.

Offline chris338378

• Forked
« Reply #29 on: Sep 25, 2013, 02:48:13 AM »
I'm sure Birdman appreciates and will treasure his new rifle.  Good luck to him with it and hopefully he will christen it on a bear, buck, or better yet both.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal