Author Topic: question on a rifle caliber  (Read 9696 times)

Offline tksiezopolski

• Nubbie
question on a rifle caliber
« on: Nov 22, 2007, 11:59:40 PM »
Just swithed from a 30-06 to a 270Win. What kind of distance could I expect from this caliber? I've shot up to 600yds comfortably with the 30-06. Could I expect the same or better from the 270? Thanks!

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
Re: question on a rifle caliber
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2007, 04:18:34 PM »
600 yds with an '06 comfortably? Not in the woods. Sorry, it's just that you're approaching sniper range at that distance. I find it very hard to be able to make a clean ethical shot at that distance. You have to take into consideration wind, bullet drop and way too many factors.

Offline Bailbuster

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »
600 yards is a long ways , but 0@200yards the 30-06 with a 165 grain bullet drops 48", a 270 0@200 yards with the 130 drops 38".So I guess you could hold a foot high on a whitetail and cut it loose.

Offline salmonrebel

• Spiked
  • You Gotta' Kill It!,...To Grill It!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2009, 02:46:05 PM »
600 yds with an '06 comfortably? Not in the woods. Sorry, it's just that you're approaching sniper range at that distance. I find it very hard to be able to make a clean ethical shot at that distance. You have to take into consideration wind, bullet drop and way too many factors.
What do you think our military used the 30.06 for in the first place? For years this was the caliber our military used for sniper rifles, now it's the 300win mag, which is the same 30 caliber necked up with more powder. While you would definitely have to practice shooting at that range, it is definitely capable. As a kid, I used to take milk jugs filled with water 500+ yards up a powerline area close to home, and my father used to destroy them at that distance with his 30.06. We've both killed deer with our 30.06's on the same powerline 300-400yrds. years past.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2009, 02:58:22 PM by salmonrebel »

IF IT'S BROWN!,...IT'S DOWN!...IF IT RUNS!, IT'S DONE!...WHACK 'EM!,...AND STACK 'EM!

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2009, 03:10:10 PM »
Just swithed from a 30-06 to a 270Win. What kind of distance could I expect from this caliber? I've shot up to 600yds comfortably with the 30-06. Could I expect the same or better from the 270? Thanks!
You should have stuck with the 06.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2009, 03:40:55 PM »
What do you think our military used the 30.06 for in the first place? For years this was the caliber our military used for sniper rifles, now it's the 300win mag, which is the same 30 caliber necked up with more powder. While you would definitely have to practice shooting at that range, it is definitely capable. As a kid, I used to take milk jugs filled with water 500+ yards up a powerline area close to home, and my father used to destroy them at that distance with his 30.06. We've both killed deer with our 30.06's on the same powerline 300-400yrds. years past.
;D

Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2009, 07:01:28 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

BS meter....thats hilarious!!!!!  awesome
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline HuntinFool

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2009, 09:24:48 PM »
i have a nikon monarch 3.5- 10 with the BDC (bullet drop compensator) reticle....i have it sighted in for 200 yards on the top bead, and the lower beads are in order: 300, 400, 500, 600 yards zeroed in....i shoot a 300 win mag and core lokt 150s...this is a lethal combination and i have no problem hittin targets at 600 yards on a windy day....2 of my buddies have the leopold Boone and Crocket series scopes with a similar reticle.....one shoots a .270 and the other a 300 win mag...they both killed deer consistently at 500-700 yards in kodiak last fall 1 shot 1 kill , which is what prompted me to take that step....until i bought this new setup around xmas, i shot a 30-06 mauser with a simple leopold vari x 2 3x9, zeroed in for 225 yards, and i killed 2 deer past 550 yards ( rangefinder reading: Leica Optics cant be that far off).... last fall i shot my forkhorn moose at 600 yards and dropped him...so if you feel comfortable with the range, practice in windy or situations that would similate shooting a live target in the field...if you still feel comfortable, get er done! some people on here wont believe it, but its definately not impossible...in fact its pretty common practice here to take shots on flat open terrain on caribou, bear, and moose that wont let you get any closer than that....sometimes you have to take a follow up shot but that can happen at any range....i know some old timers that can down caribou on the run on a windy day with open sights at that range and much farther, it all depends on practice and what your comfortable with.
Ive Hunted Almost Everyday Of My Life, The Rest Have Been Wasted

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2009, 07:36:03 PM »
I think most of the guys meant "not in the Eastern U.S."

Its definitely possible out West.
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline HuntinFool

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2009, 08:40:33 PM »
oh, maybe......its feirce brushy here too, so thick you wanna just burn it the hell down, and theres practically no roads considering the size of the state....you almost gotta have a boat or plane to really get into the good hunting, but i know some spots within hiking distance...alot of people are lazy here and they road hunt, so success rates vary...we sometimes road hunt too but we do it spot and stalk up the mountains...
Ive Hunted Almost Everyday Of My Life, The Rest Have Been Wasted

Offline salmonrebel

• Spiked
« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2009, 10:48:21 PM »
;D

That is a nice meter you got there, JJ.
But, you need to use it on someone else. Evidently you have a problem with rifle hunters by what's on your post.
I have no problem with ANY hunter, and neither should you. There are enough idiots out there attacking our hunting and firearm rights. It shouldn't be done, from one hunter to another.
I personally love all kinds of hunting. I have high respects towards getting close to the deer for a bow shot, I also think, it's pretty dam impressive to hit a target 300yrds. or more.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2009, 10:52:24 PM by salmonrebel »

IF IT'S BROWN!,...IT'S DOWN!...IF IT RUNS!, IT'S DONE!...WHACK 'EM!,...AND STACK 'EM!

Offline salmonrebel

• Spiked
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2009, 12:25:05 AM »
I think most of the guys meant "not in the Eastern U.S."

Its definitely possible out West.
Joel, you know the powerline I'm talking about. I think, Tuff Buck could vouch for it.
Over the years, we took a handful of deer off that ridge at 300+ yrds.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2009, 12:35:27 AM »
That is a nice meter you got there, JJ.
But, you need to use it on someone else. Evidently you have a problem with rifle hunters by what's on your post.
I have no problem with ANY hunter, and neither should you. There are enough idiots out there attacking our hunting and firearm rights. It shouldn't be done, from one hunter to another.
I personally love all kinds of hunting. I have high respects towards getting close to the deer for a bow shot, I also think, it's pretty dam impressive to hit a target 300yrds. or more.
It's a joke, that's why the smiley is there. ;D Rebelfisher liked it. 500 yd shots that "destroy" milk jugs sounds like an exaggeration considering bullet drop at at that range and wind drift. Same as the bow guys that claim 3" groups at 80 yds. ;D

I still rifle hunt myself on occasion, my grandfather was a gunsmith and I have lots of guns. The signature line is just a comparison, no reason to make assumptions; to each his own, it's a free country. Also, I just added the line, it wasn't there when I posted the meter.

What's with the southern cross, Pennsylvania was a Union state. ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2009, 12:37:17 AM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline salmonrebel

• Spiked
« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2009, 12:40:35 AM »
I have the Rebel blood. Therefore, I am.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2009, 12:43:24 AM »
Just remember who won the war. ;D
Hybrid longbow in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal