Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 113937 times)

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #240 on: Mar 16, 2014, 04:27:24 PM »
Nice job there young man ; Glad to see another guy taking up the old equipment  ;D ;D   

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #241 on: Mar 16, 2014, 04:32:15 PM »
Keeps me humble. That's for sure :)

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #242 on: Mar 16, 2014, 04:39:59 PM »
Warmer weather coming then you can play farther you doing real good  ;D

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #243 on: Mar 19, 2014, 01:12:30 PM »
Well JJ. I hope your happy. I started shooting the longbow I purchased last fall. Now I can't wait to get good enough to hunt with it. Been working on my form a lot and not worrying about placement. Just blank bale shooting. Today was the first time actually aiming. I can only shoot around 9 paces in the upstairs of the barn. The sun keeps it rather warm on a 19*day. 

The bow is a Bear Montana @ 50lbs. Arrows are Beman center shots.
 I'm surprised at how quiet the bow is. A lil video.

That's great hick, stick with it and you will see improvement quickly, blank baling was a good idea to start. Group looks good for first time aiming. Been thinking about getting a longbow next to play around with, really prefer recurves though.

Wish I had more room to shoot inside, but it's better than nothing, and turkey season is short range anyway. Got to shoot outside 2 days early last week and it didn't take long to get back into it; distance shooting really helps with grouping.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: Mar 19, 2014, 01:30:14 PM »
As mentioned I got to shoot outside last week, longer distances really help, especially with bare shaft tuning. Looks like I have the right point weight now of around 200 grains: 100 grain point and insert or 145 grain point and 50 grain insert, both shoot nice and straight. I also noticed my nock was a bit high, a couple slight adjustments down (the adjustable tied in nocks work great), and I was nice and flat; then added a drop of super glue to the nocks.

Tried some broadheads and wasn't happy with what I saw from the Hammerhead and Steelhead expandables, penetration wise and I wasn't sure they were opening all the way. Research showed a lot of guys like the Magnus Snuffers for turkeys, a 3 blade fixed head. So I ordered up the 150 grain version for the widest cut possible, almost 1 1/2"; could use 100s but they are only 1 1/16"; will use them with the 50 grain insert.

Last thing I wanted to do was get some arrows fletched up with some darker feathers, only had white in 4" and that's too bright for turkeys.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #245 on: Mar 19, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »

Hooo  my JJ those look fancy ; Sounds like you her figured out now  ;D ;D

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #246 on: Mar 19, 2014, 08:35:07 PM »
I'm loving the long bow but it has one major downfall. its LONG !! tried to shoot from the blind and it was way too long to shoot comfortably. had to kneel as that's how i usually shoot with the compound. but i have to cant the bow so much i just dont feel comfortable in the blind. may have to up my camo skills to go after anything from the ground.  8) 

Some nice looking sticks there JJ.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: Jul 29, 2014, 08:50:58 PM »
Decided that I will stick with the shorter Mamba for hunting this coming Fall, so that is what I have been shooting. Made a few changes, started shooting cock feather in for better clearance off the shelf. After struggling with consistency I decided to try shooting 3 fingers under instead of split one dayt, really liked it and wondered why I waited so long. Getting a much cleaner release and no more nock pinch, which I noticed much more with this shorter recurve. Another benefit is it brings the arrow higher and closer to the eye to help with aiming; using the same anchor points.

I knew I would have to re-tune after switching, especially the nock point needing to come up. Been shooting  like this for a while to get used to it and tuning a little at a time, finally go the nock height about right. I didn't expect the arrow spine to be different, but the bareshafts were showing a weak arrow. I had 150 grain points with 50 grain inserts, dropped to 125, then 100 points and ended up with a nice straight bareshaft. After switching out the points on a few arrows they were really zipping to the target, better tune and 50 grains less weight helps.

Trying to shoot when I can, can't every day, season will be here soon enough.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #248 on: Jul 30, 2014, 07:57:29 AM »
I did a lot of research before I started shooting fingers. I shoot three fingers under also. I like how it brings the knock up closer to my eyes. Tried split finger after I tuned the bow for three under. Wow. That almost opened up a can of worms for me. Could not stay consistent with split so back to three under.   

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: Aug 09, 2014, 02:49:46 PM »
I was still struggling with consistency with this shorter bow but determined to shoot it well and hunt with it. The switch to 3 under helped, then I tried just two fingers under and what a difference. Getting really clean releases and shooting better than ever. I think the third finger was the problem, shorter bow and more pinch; plus I must have been putting to much pressure on the ring finger causing me to miss high a lot. Need to get some 2 under tabs and keep shooting like this, getting used to it quickly. Didn't seem much different than 3 under, bareshafts are nice and straight, so tune is good, actually better.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2014, 02:51:15 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: Sep 04, 2014, 12:11:41 PM »
Finally have some free time to shoot regularly and get ready for the season, managed to shoot enough to get used to the changes and even improve some over the busy months of Summer. The two under didn't last long but it lead to a couple good changes: a deeper hook, getting past the first joint and onto the pads, and it helped show me that I needed to put more pressure on the top two fingers and only slight pressure on the ring finger. Still waiting on the 3-under tabs that have been back-ordered, should be here soon as they just got them in; there is a shortage of cordovan leather from what I hear.

Have the two 45# bows tuned with the same arrows for once, same arrows just 25 grains less up front than before; will use 50 grain inserts with 125 grain Killer Bee Buzzcuts (Stingers with a solid blade, no vents). I like the CX Maxima Hunters but the shafts aren't cheap, then they changes the spine for 2014; found some arrows fletched with Blazers for about 1/2 the price of shafts, just needed to strip them and fletch with feathers, cut, etc.

One last change is with my nocking points. Was using some nylon serving but it wasn't very durable, switched to BCY #62 which is braided polyester with Spectra; more durable and grips better. Tightens up better, just have to make sure I don't tighten the knot too much or it won't move at all.

Been using the Formaster training aid again and it really helps, both with back tension and keeping the bow arm steady. Should have done it when I first switched to 3-under.

First couple groups from a day where I was on recently:

« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2014, 03:01:34 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: Sep 24, 2014, 11:57:41 AM »
Well, I can say the switch to three under was a great idea, really shooting good now. At this point I can put an arrow where I want it out to 25 yds, as long as I do everything right. The main thing now is the mental part, I have the physical part down, need to concentrate on the spot I want to hit and let the shot happen, any outside thoughts and it's usually off the mark.

Been slowly adjusting my tune with the Mamba and I have it pretty good now, taking the time to get used to 3 under helped a lot. Had to raise the nock point more. Then I put new wool silencers on the string as the others were getting a little thinned out, the extra weight made the arrows act stiffer, so I went back to 200 grains up front like I used last Spring for the turkeys. Bow is very quiet and more forgiving, not getting any shelf contact now. Need to work on the Hunter some more, it seems to like a little less weight up front, will try moving the string silencers, otherwise I will use 125 grain points with the 50 grain inserts if I need to use it as a backup.

Ordered some 150 grain Stinger Buzzcuts to use with 50 grain inserts; can also use 100s with 100 grain inserts, but the 150s are a little wider cut.

Here's a really tight group from 15 yds, all touching except the one that I dropped a little low.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: Sep 24, 2014, 12:02:21 PM »
First kill of the season from about 12 yds, this chipmunk ran and stopped outside his hole, should have kept going.  ;D I think chipmunks make for good hunting practice, need to concentrate on a small target and they move a lot. One problem is they like it around rocks and I have to be careful not to break my arrows. trying for squirrels to, but they usually run up a tree.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #253 on: Sep 24, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »
Nice shot!

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #254 on: Sep 24, 2014, 01:18:49 PM »