Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 104396 times)

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #225 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:14:24 PM »
Added another Bear recurve to the collection with some Xmas money I had. Been looking for a '68 Kodiak Magnum, had to wait a while to find one I really good condition. These bows are small at 52" AMO; this one is 38#, a little light but I don't plan on hunting with it, will be fun to shoot.

Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #226 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:32:16 PM »
Another nice looking bow JJ. great addition to the collectin.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #227 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:46:49 AM »
Nice one....had a green Kodiak for a long time...52# and 52"...Thing was a bear to shoot...no pun intended.  :)

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:55:42 AM »
Thanks guys, I like these old bows, and the prices aren't too bad especially compared to the new ones.

Nice one....had a green Kodiak for a long time...52# and 52"...Thing was a bear to shoot...no pun intended.  :)

The short bows are definitely harder to shoot, pretty big difference between my 58" and 62" Martins. The longer one is a lot more forgiving, but I'm getting pretty good with the short one now and like it, lighter and easy to carry.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #229 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:55:47 AM »
Nice addition to your collection Jeff....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:05:40 PM »
Most of the lineup so far; had them all lined up trying to figure out a rack system, so I took a pic.

Realized I never took any pics of the first one I bought, a new 50# Martin Hunter made in 2007 that I got for a great price. have it in case I go after something BIG one day; want to set it up with some heavier arrows.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #231 on: Feb 07, 2014, 03:40:35 AM »
Very nice selection , Do you have a favorite ...

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #232 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:41:48 AM »
great looking bows, I really want to get a kodiak one day, just seems like the ultimate hunting recurve, the one I have right now is really really long
Take a Kid outside...

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #233 on: Feb 08, 2014, 04:46:51 PM »
Getting a pretty nice collection.  Ever thought about making one ?

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: Feb 08, 2014, 06:10:48 PM »
Thanks, all.

Favorite right now is the Mamba, second from the right, the Hunter( 2nd from left) being right behind it. The shorter Mamba is faster, lighter and easy to carry; the Hunter is easier to shoot more accurately but I've been shooting the shorter one and getting better with it.

jlaclair, are you talking about the Kodiak at 60" or the K Magnum at 52"? As I posted above, longer bows are much easier to shoot, especially with a longer draw length; long is good for recurves, much more stable.

No desire to make one, just like shooting and collecting them. Maybe a simple selfbow someday out of you or osage, have the one my uncle made.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #235 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:52:56 PM »
Very nice collection you have there. 8)

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #236 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:47:27 PM »
Thanks, all.

Favorite right now is the Mamba, second from the right, the Hunter( 2nd from left) being right behind it. The shorter Mamba is faster, lighter and easy to carry; the Hunter is easier to shoot more accurately but I've been shooting the shorter one and getting better with it.

jlaclair, are you talking about the Kodiak at 60" or the K Magnum at 52"? As I posted above, longer bows are much easier to shoot, especially with a longer draw length; long is good for recurves, much more stable.

No desire to make one, just like shooting and collecting them. Maybe a simple selfbow someday out of you or osage, have the one my uncle made.

was thinking about a magnum, I know the longer ones are a bit more forgiving, especially with my wingspan, but just a bit difficult to maneuver through the woods...something maybe 54-58 inches maybe be perfect at enough weight to take large game out to 20 yards would be nice
Take a Kid outside...

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:54:43 PM »
I carried the 62" bow last Fall while still hunting and it wasn't bad, a lot less bulky than a compound so it goes through brush pretty easy, just hold it parallel to the ground. I can shoot it from my knees no problem. That being said, now that I am getting the hang of it the 58" bow will probably be the one I use this year, definitely for turkeys to start. The 62" is a bit more forgiving and smoother to draw, though.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2014, 08:57:48 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: Mar 06, 2014, 12:39:47 PM »
Been shooting the Mamba indoors all winter getting ready for turkeys, really getting used to it now; still shooting the Hunter some, may need it as a backup. Only able to shoot about 8 yds, which is fine as I want them close, but I wish I could get out side once in a while to shoot farther, just been too cold.

Made some changes to my arrows, the bare shafts were starting to show a little stiff on both bows; figure I am getting a cleaner release and not imparting as much paradox to the arrow and need to weaken them a bit. The Mamba arrows were a touch stiff to begin with, so I switched from 50 to 100 grain inserts with 100 grain points; these are shooting good with the Hunter, too. For the Hunter arrows I went from 100 to 125 grain points.

Plan on using the 2" Hammerheads as a turkey broadhead (same as compound), really need to get outside and try them into a broadhead target to see how much they penetrate.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #239 on: Mar 16, 2014, 03:51:07 PM »
Well JJ. I hope your happy. I started shooting the longbow I purchased last fall. Now I can't wait to get good enough to hunt with it. Been working on my form a lot and not worrying about placement. Just blank bale shooting. Today was the first time actually aiming. I can only shoot around 9 paces in the upstairs of the barn. The sun keeps it rather warm on a 19*day. 

The bow is a Bear Montana @ 50lbs. Arrows are Beman center shots.
 I'm surprised at how quiet the bow is. A lil video.

http://youtu.be/0XHCNdkoklI

« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2014, 05:07:13 PM by hickgtx600f4 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal