Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 119958 times)

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #210 on: Sep 30, 2013, 09:41:32 PM »

Been out the last four days, didn't see anything from the stand. Seen a few while still hunting; came close Saturday evening had a couple within 40 yds that had no idea I was there. Second one was a big doe but she headed away feeding, no wind and too noisy to stalk, slowly hunted that direction but never saw her.

Been practicing on the stumps on my way out of the woods. Tried one from the stand to make sure I was on:
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #211 on: Oct 01, 2013, 04:46:26 AM »
Yup you are!!
One will stroll by soon  ;D

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #212 on: Oct 01, 2013, 06:09:21 AM »
That's a beautiful setup there JJ. Good luck!

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #213 on: Oct 01, 2013, 07:48:33 PM »
That is one class piece of hardware ya got there!

I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: Oct 07, 2013, 04:12:17 PM »
Made another set of string silencers out of the muskox wool yarn, the last ones were getting pretty small which I think was affecting my tune with less weight on the string. This time I tied the bundles up with a piece of the yarn, last time I just slid them between the 2 strands and the fibers were getting pulled out. I recently read that having the bundle tighter rather than spread out on the string made the silencers work better, and it sure did. What a difference, much quieter, took a while to get used to very little sound at the release.

Now on to the shooting, I started shooting a little better now that I was back in tune, but I still was scattering the arrows more than I like. Seems like my shooting had gone back downhill again, definitely not getting better even with lots of practice. Been working on my form and really concentrating on aiming good, so I thought something else might be happening. Checked out my nocks and the upper one had moved up a little, too much play up and down with the arrow nocked; no wonder I couldn't shoot consistently. Twisted the upper nock to bring it down so the arrow wouldn't move and started shooting like I should be, felt a little stupid for not figuring this out sooner; tough to be a consistent shot without a consistent nocking point. Groups really tightened up, here's one from 20 yds:

I have some new serving material for tying nocks, used what I had last time but wanted something a little thicker. It was also black, same as the center serving, so I got some green Crown serving to stand out a little in case I need to nock an arrow quickly. Should also tighten up a little better than the other stuff so it stays where I want it.

Finally got around to setting up the Formaster training tool that came in last week. The idea is to make sure you are shooting with back tension, when you release the string gets stopped by the cord and without BT your draw arm will get pulled forward. It also helps make sure you bow arm is held steady at the release, you need to use equal tension in both arms to cancel each one out. I must be doing something right because my draw arm stayed right where is should, no creep forward. I'll keep using it to make sure I have it down, it's also good form practice when I can't get out to shoot.

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2013, 04:22:04 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #215 on: Oct 12, 2013, 04:57:55 AM »
I have had the same nock  problem over the years. I had a old spool of nylon serving that was to large for the nocks on carbon arrows. So switched to that for my tied nock. No more slipping or sliding. The new materials work great for serving, and strings. Not so much for a nock. Had a guy bring me his bow a couple weeks ago....he was sighted in and ready to hunt and then couldn't hit the target. Seems he left the bow in the car all day and then went hunting.....guess the heat, then quick cool down had shrunk the string and the whole serving (6") had slipped up when he drew it back to warm up and check shooting lanes.....reserved and put some rosin on the string first...hope that helps him.
I like the durability and performance of the new string and serving materials. They just require more attention to maintenance. Most hunters just want to grab and go with a bow.....so in some ways the old stuff worked better....JMO...

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: Oct 18, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »
The new material I used for the nock didn't work out, it was getting pinched by the nock and compressing(just like the dental floss). Went back to the Brownell #4, made sure to super glued it this time and it's working great; found out it comes in colors so I'll probably get a spool so I can see the nock point better in low light.

Shot the bare shafts the other day, hadn't in a while and they were flying weak, decided I could cut more off, so I started with 1/4" and it got better; took off another 1/4 for a 1/2" total and was happy with them flying slightly weak. Really glad I did this based on the penetration I got on the doe. 8) I think my draw length increased some after getting used to the higher weight, so I needed to stiffen the arrows a little.

Been working on my form lately, really getting the back tension to feel normal, but my aiming suffered, especially at longer distances. Thought about what I was doing and realized I stopped visualizing the path the arrow would take to the target, the trajectory. I was the main point of Kidwell's book Instinctive Archery Insights that I had mentioned earlier in this thread. Once I started doing that it was pretty cool watching the arrows sail right into the center of the target with ease from 20-25 yds. Still need to work on it more, but little by little everything is coming together and I'm getting more consistent; discovering it's a long process.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2013, 08:21:34 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: Oct 21, 2013, 01:16:49 PM »
Sat a new spot this morning, saw 3 does, 1 fawn and a spike; passed on the first doe and fawn at 15yds, second two came by just after at 20.

Spike at 20yds:

Got the strings in and set up the Mamba, all but the silencers, made them but didn't install them yet. Arrows I'm using with the Hunter are too weak, not by much but can't cut them any shorter. Thinking of using CX Maxima Hunter 250s, have a dozen uncut that I bought for the compound. The Hunter arrows(Heritage 150s) are 10 GPP and spine is .487. The Maximas are 8 GPP and .417; other option is Heritage 250s, 11 GPP and a bit stiffer at .373. Since I plan on using them mostly for turkeys at short range, thinking the Maximas will be better, can cut them shorter and if I add 50 grain brass inserts the weight will be close to the arrows I'm shooting from the Hunter(keeping trajectory close to the same). Need to do some tuning and cutting when I get a chance, not really in a hurry, but probably should to have a backup bow ready for my Ohio trip(do have the 40# X-200).
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #218 on: Oct 23, 2013, 05:08:38 AM »
Should be fun to have traditional gear along on the trip....are you taking the compound as a back up?  Not that you need it, but nice if you just can't get in the yardage range needed....
Your stand location seems to be panning out well..... ;)

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: Oct 31, 2013, 05:36:02 PM »
The compound won't be making the trip, all or nothing with the recurve. Got some arrows fletched up for the Mamba and it will be coming as a backup just in case. Like the way the shorter bow shoots, should be nice from a treestand and especially the blind, more maneuverable; but the longer bow is more forgiving and easier to shoot. Cut the bare shaft Maxima Hunter 250 down to just over 30" and had good straight flight with the 50 grain insert and 100 grain tips; arrow weight is around 420, very close to the arrows for the Hunter. Went with 4" feathers on these arrow and the usual helical, should be plenty enough to steer and they are easier to glue.

Taken 2 bucks from this ground blind with a compound during our rifle season, next one will be with a recurve.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #220 on: Oct 31, 2013, 06:00:04 PM »
Very nice!!   A P&Y buck with traditional will be cool!!

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #221 on: Nov 01, 2013, 06:26:36 AM »
Those arrows fletched up nice. Good luck on your Ohio trip.

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #222 on: Nov 09, 2013, 09:31:11 AM »
Every time I look at this thread, I think of the old adage "life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun."  Same definitely goes for bows, too   ;)
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: Dec 25, 2013, 10:13:56 PM »
Been a while, have to agree with Chucker about ugly guns and bows. ;D

Thinking about turkey hunting already. Plan to head back to Nebraska in late March since the blizzard cut my trip short last Spring, only three months to go. 8) Not sure if I will head north to SD or back down to KS to look for a Rio longbeard after missing one last year and tagging out on jakes; will decide at some point, maybe at the last minute.

Been practicing with the Mamba and really starting to like this short bow. Have my target set up indoors and can't shoot very far but the important thing is to work on good form, shooting mostly from my knees like I will be from the blind. Thinking about what broadheads I want to use, knowing their kill zone is small may end up using the same Hammerhead expandables I used with my compounds, don't think the lighter weight of the recurve will be a problem with the 2" cut as turkeys aren't that tough to penetrate.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #224 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:36:30 AM »
That is a nice looking re-curve , Sure going to be nice to practice inside will make a big difference for you  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal