Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 119736 times)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #195 on: Sep 20, 2013, 09:28:04 AM »
Really glad I put the new cover on, definitely helps force me to use good form and concentrate on the spot; wish I had done it sooner. Find myself grouping better at long distances than close ones, more relaxed and let the shot happen instead of forcing the arrow to the small dot which increases tension(not good). Found the same to be true with my compounds.

Tried some elevated shooting, a little different than with the compound with the longer recurve, still have to bend at the waist. Took a few shots, started out hitting high, after about 20 shots I was getting the hang of it; need to keep practicing but I will feel confident hunting from a treestand with this bow.

« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2013, 09:31:32 AM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #196 on: Sep 20, 2013, 09:34:02 AM »
good stuff
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: Sep 21, 2013, 08:03:06 PM »
Moved the bow rack on the ATV so it could hold the recurves instead of my compound today.

Then I screwed judo points into a couple arrows and headed into the woods for some in the field practice with some stump shooting. Good hunting prep and a lot more fun than shooting at the target(shot at it a bunch from an elevated position for treestand practice earlier); unfortunately didn't see any squirrels or chipmunks where I was.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #198 on: Sep 22, 2013, 05:26:40 AM »
Nice!!  Just be careful of those narrow trails.....lol

Buddy of mine ho shoots a recurve uses a gun scabbard...sticks out the end a little but lets him navigate better he says. and has a nice pile lining to protect the wood. I used my pack with a built in scabbard on it, then strapped to the back rack.   ;)

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #199 on: Sep 22, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »
you look ready!
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #200 on: Sep 22, 2013, 09:39:10 PM »
I feel ready, thanks. Starting to get a lot of confidence; not worried about shooting from the treestand, after a few days I have the aiming down, just need to concentrate on the spot, bend at the waist and use good form, as always. Stumping is really helping, too, went out again this afternoon. Pulled the arrow from one stump and was surprised to find the tip bloody? Dug into rotted wood and found a mouse. ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2013, 09:40:51 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #201 on: Sep 23, 2013, 06:35:55 AM »
Dang your good!!  Nice shootin JJ.

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #202 on: Sep 23, 2013, 07:19:59 AM »

LMAO ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #203 on: Sep 23, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
HAHAHAHA thats awesome, just sharpened my heads up for friday morning ;)
Take a Kid outside...

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #204 on: Sep 24, 2013, 05:34:47 AM »
Who needs Decon.....or Orkin..... ;D

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #205 on: Sep 24, 2013, 07:31:01 AM »
Nothing can "hide" from CaptJJ....hunts2long
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #206 on: Sep 24, 2013, 09:10:13 AM »
Good stuff JJ. 8)

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #207 on: Sep 25, 2013, 05:55:28 AM »
Nice shot lol.  You all ready for Friday ?

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: Sep 26, 2013, 08:18:01 PM »
I'm ready now. ;D Lots of little stuff from digging all my gear out to laundry the past couple days.

Been practicing a lot and yesterday I was shooting lousy, hadn't really been improving the last week despite all the shooting. Knew I had the aiming down so I figured it was a form problem, definitely wasn't getting a clean release every time. I happened to watch a good video the night before(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LceBNHj1FDM) and tried what I remembered from it and things got better right away. Through all the practice I was concentrating too much on aiming and wasn't maintaining good back tension. The video had a couple pointers that really helped, I was drawing back with my elbow but didn't follow through with it at the release and would sometimes pluck or creep forward a little. Went back to blank bailing and made sure my elbow went back and down when I released; expanding the shoulders at full draw also helped. Also learned that I need to continue to do some blank bail shooting regularly to maintain good form. I finally ordered a good tool called the Formaster, which forces you to use good back tension; been meaning to order one, should have done it sooner.

Realized today that I hadn't shot with gloves and facemask on yet, wasn't worried because it didn't make any difference when I was getting ready for turkey season. Tried some shots this afternoon and found having them on actually made me shoot better; first shot was centered in the bullseye. Found out that with them I took a little more time at full draw to make sure I had a good, solid anchor and was grouping great. A pleasant surprise that I didn't expect. 8)
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2013, 08:20:58 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #209 on: Sep 27, 2013, 01:08:39 AM »
good luck ill be out around 915 with the recurve
Take a Kid outside...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal