Author Topic: SPRING TURKEY INDIANA  (Read 9743 times)

Offline DanO2013

• Spiked
SPRING TURKEY INDIANA
« on: Mar 28, 2013, 08:20:03 AM »
Hello - i am thiking of trying turkey hunting this year - i have never been - the game warden is putting on a class that i think is free and am gona try to get into that - anyone have any tips or pointers for me to try out - i will probably be using a 12 gaugue -any helpful info is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013, 08:20:27 AM by DanO2013 »

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
Re: SPRING TURKEY INDIANA
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2013, 10:07:13 AM »
First I would start out with buying some turkey calls and practice practice practice. There are lots of different kinds I would recommend a box call for a starter its easy to use and so versatile.  YouTube is also a great tool with lots of how to vids with calls and much more.  When looking for shells make sure to get turkey loads and a full choke I like number 5 shot the best in 3.5.  Make sure to pattern your gun also some shells and chokes  just don't pattern well. Most important have fun and good luck.

Offline DanO2013

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2013, 10:19:24 AM »
i got in! i got registered for the DNR turkey class - it is only open to 20 people and it is free - it is a 3 session class and is suppossed to teach me everything i need to start turkey hunting! very excited to try it - thank you for the tips - i only have one 12 gauge that is suitable - i do have a self defense short barrel mossberg 500 but it doesnt have very long range because the barrel is so short - i have a single shot new england 12 gauge with a modified 3 inch capability - i would love to use 3.5 but know it wont fit - do you think i will have a good chance with a size 4 or 5 - 3 in shell - i havent hunted a lot, but it is the gun that i have and have to do well with what i got - i have used it pheasant hunting and always have a great time and get most of my birds! - i would really like to buy a new shotgun that hold more than 1 shot lol - i just dont really make a lot of money :( will have to save up - i have been looking at a stoeger over and under 12 or 20 gauge at gander mountain - they are only 379 brand new - just not sure if they are reliable

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
Glad you got in!!! Turkey hunting is very fun like it as much if not more then deer.  Nothing gets the blood pumping more then hearing the first gobble just before day light.  3 inch will be fine use to use them in my 20 gauge in #6 shot when i was younger and they worked great killed lots of birds with it.  Best advice I would say would be to try the different sizes and see which ones pattern the best out of your gun.   

Offline DanO2013

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2013, 12:40:19 PM »
thanks buddy - i hope to learn all i need at the class but i like to get tps from people who have actually hunted them - i am thankful to get into the class cuz its only ipen to 20 people - the season for spring is only 18 days so it is very short - i looked up calls on gander mountain and it looks like i can get a descent call for around 20 bux - i havent hunted a lot - i have only hunted rabbits, squirrels, frogs, and pheasant - i do well on put n take pheasant and frogs but in my life have only bagged 1 rabbit and 0 squirrels - i also have a bow that was given to me so i need to get some sights on it and would like to try for deer this year! - all in all i have only hunted probably 30 times or so for small game and usually dont even see anything or if i do i have missed LOL - but i am learning and more than willing to go more and more - it all comes down to the money for me - if i had more money i could hunt more - but i just have a tough time makin ends meet with these da*n student loan payments for my almost useless bachelors degree in psychology - used to have a bad drinkin problem, havent dranik since 2007 but with a couple DUI convictions on my record its hard to get any job - just gota do my best with the equipment i do have!! - if i get a turkey i will post it on here - how long is turkey season where u r from?

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »
It's a month here in Maryland will be my first year hunting turkeys down here moved here from New York last year at the end of may. Yeah I hear ya about the student loans mine kicked in this November.   Good luck hope to see some pics on here !
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013, 02:07:36 PM by hesseltine32 »

Offline DanO2013

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2013, 03:57:42 PM »
Thanks man! i hope to get some - i will probably end up sitting in the woods by myself making callas and wont even see 1 - but if thats how it goes thats fine with me too

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2013, 06:06:20 PM »

Spotted my first strutter today ; Get's you in the mode real quick    ;D ;D

Offline DanO2013

• Spiked
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2013, 08:19:03 AM »
what do you call turkeys - r the males jakes - or r jakes juveniles? and do you gal the females hens?

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2013, 08:27:02 AM »
The males are toms, and yes juvenile toms are jakes, they have a short stubby beard and the feathers in the midddle of the tail will be longer than the sides(toms will have an even round fan); females are hens, they can sometimes have a beard, too.

I happen to be in Indiana right now, headed to Kansas. Good luck. One suggestion I have is to find someone that knows how to hunt turkeys that will show you; I learned so much that way, really sped things up.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline DanO2013

• Spiked
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2013, 09:31:13 AM »
The males are toms, and yes juvenile toms are jakes, they have a short stubby beard and the feathers in the midddle of the tail will be longer than the sides(toms will have an even round fan); females are hens, they can sometimes have a beard, too.

I happen to be in Indiana right now, headed to Kansas. Good luck. One suggestion I have is to find someone that knows how to hunt turkeys that will show you; I learned so much that way, really sped things up.

Wished i knw someone that hunts turkeys but its just me - i am taking a 3 session class with the game warden here tho b4 huntig season begins and hopefully they can teach me everything i need to know to get started! safe travels to kansas

Offline bone_and_beard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2013, 06:21:47 PM »
I have a stoger mod 2000 that I picked up used 3 inch chamber and threaded barrel for diffrent chockes, by far my favorite shotgun!

Offline DanO2013

• Spiked
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »
I have a stoger mod 2000 that I picked up used 3 inch chamber and threaded barrel for diffrent chockes, by far my favorite shotgun!

awesome thanks for the reply - i was wantin a 20 gauge over under - i have a 12 and wanted to try somethin new - not sure when ill be able to actually purchase one - have you had any problems with it - what makes it your favorite?

Offline bone_and_beard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2013, 04:05:11 PM »
It has the same action as a bernellie well over 1000 rounds through it and no jams light weight and picks up like a dream, and its camo.

Offline DanO2013

• Spiked
« Reply #14 on: Apr 17, 2013, 03:29:33 PM »
It has the same action as a bernellie well over 1000 rounds through it and no jams light weight and picks up like a dream, and its camo.

I get a bonus from work here in a few months and am giong to try and set aside some cash to buy a stoger - i want an over under 20 gauge with 28" barrell and the ability to use screw in chokes so i can get a full or turkey choke for turkeys and then remove it for pheasants - does the gun come with a choke already or does it have no choke and then you change up based on what you screw in? also would you be able to hunt deer with an over under or is that just all around a bad idea - i know it will be a smooth bore but could shot a rifled sluf - basically i am looking for an overall shotgun - somethin i can hunt rabbit, squirrel, turkey, pheasants with - and if possible also deer

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal