Author Topic: Alcohol and mushrooms  (Read 7133 times)

Offline barleydog

• Spiked
Alcohol and mushrooms
« on: Oct 03, 2005, 09:00:04 PM »
Well I received a couple recipes from Bobberstop that look great and I'm sure this Friday they'lll taste great!  Here's the question of the day!  The header to the recipes stated: "Don't drink alcohol and eat shaggy manes."  Well I'll heed the notice, and leave the beer in the cooler.  However! Does anyone else think this warning brings up a thought or two concerning your health in general after eating wild mushrooms?  I feel my belly can digest anything!  Nothing to hot, poisonous, or dangerous can kill us, right?  I've been subjected to Giardia (beaver fever) while lost in the Alaskan bush hunting caribou.  Poisoned by my brother in law at deer camp in Wisconsin eating toadstools that he said were "cultivated Shitake mushrooms."  Had a run in with Ecoli at a Washington McDonald's.  Got "the Screamers" from eating on the local economy in Turkey, Kuwait, Iraq, etc.., and even received food poisoning eating bad scallops from a Mexican restaurant, (I should have noticed the warning signs eating in a place called Senior Flanagan's eh!)  Point is, how much poisoning can a body take?  Little doses, large doses?  Can our liver, kidneys, heart, and system survive on small doses of mushroom poison and how much? 
I love wild mushrooms, but is mushroom hunting just a dangerous culinary hobby?  Kinda like eating a  Japanese puffer fish (Fugue sp.) one wrong cut and your a goner!  Maybe a likeness to getting stung by a scorpion or 10, you build up a tolorance to it's toxins and little by little, you've got an immunity?  Or is it like eating some Great Lakes salmon, "In Moderation!" as perscribed by the medical community.   
I will eat these delicious fungi, (even without alcohol.)  But give me your HONEST opinions!  Is there any concerns you have with them?  I'm personally not a person to easily sway at the drop of a hat.  Heck I still use Canola Oil in moderation, even after being told it's bad for you >:(.  I am however a mushroom "chicken" only picking and eating schrooms that I positively identify, (which is probably 2 types! ;D)  O.K. Enough ramble.....Your opinion!    -Barleydog

Offline Icedude

• Nubbie
Re: Alcohol and mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2005, 09:13:22 PM »
the only reason there is a warning for shaggy manes is because they contain the same toxin that they give alcoholics to stop drinking . it will make you puke for hours.

Point is, how much poisoning can a body take?  Little doses, large doses?  Can our liver, kidneys, heart, and system survive on small doses of mushroom poison and how much? 
I love wild mushrooms, but is mushroom hunting just a dangerous culinary hobby?  Kinda like eating a  Japanese puffer fish (Fugue sp.) one wrong cut and your a goner!  Maybe a likeness to getting stung by a scorpion or 10, you build up a tolorance to it's toxins and little by little, you've got an immunity?  Or is it like eating some Great Lakes salmon, "In Moderation!" as perscribed by the medical community. 

Some mushrooms will kill you dead in your tracks, some will make you wish you were dead, some will make you see the dead or colors or whatever. and some are harmless. you could posibly build an imunity to some of the toxins but it is not worth it.  Your best bet is to buy a Mushroom guide only eat the ones you have spore printed, and identified by pictures and scientifc descriptions. There are a lot of fungi out there that looks harmless but is far from it.

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2008, 08:44:06 PM »
Inky's too don't eat and drink---beefsteaks,greenies or deer mushrooms are good with a cold one...
they should be coming out now in the Adirondacks

Offline MrMarty51

• Forked
  • Huntin`s the name,gettin`s the game.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2008, 11:17:35 PM »
Some Vietnamese people moved into Red Lodge and found some mushrooms that looked JUST like the ones back home.Several of em died a very painful death and the rest of them had to go to E.R. and get pumped and treated. ???
I have eaten semicilisides{spelling  ??? } and had a real good time.  :o  :o  :o ;D

Offline icefisher69

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »
I was on Michiganmorels.com this spring and the same question was asked about alchohol. Its my understanding that any wild mushrooms could make you sick if mixed with alchohol.But not all people have a problem mixing the two.I don't drink,so i don't worry about that problem!Anyway enjoy those shrooms.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal