Author Topic: hen of the woods  (Read 8652 times)

Offline hunter13

• Forked
hen of the woods
« on: Aug 08, 2005, 09:23:45 PM »
just wanted to know where is a good spot to look for them i heard they only grow around red oaks  but just woundering if they grow other places never have ate them but heard they are pretty good

hunter13

Offline hunter13

• Forked
Re: hen of the woods
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2005, 10:20:27 PM »
anyone ever found them around white oaks i ran across 19 hens of the woods all around old white oak trees picked 3 of them quistion i have for yea how long should i wate till i pick them they are all diffrent sizes some are i ould say around 10 pounds others are just starting any info will help thanks

hunter13

Offline pointer103

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2005, 06:47:41 PM »
I've found them on oaks, maples, live and dead.
Must every hard wood will do, but I find them mostly on oaks.
Up here in Mass they should be jumping out in the next couple of weeks.
I usually find them when I'm bird hunting.
Them make a great cream of mushroom and pheasant soup.

Offline DROP TINE

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2005, 09:10:30 AM »
Don't pass up the stumps too.  I usually find the biggest of the season on big dead stumps.  Matter of fact,  the biggest of the season was found on a stump, it took up about  75% of the garbage bag I was using.  I haven't really noticed what particular kinds of oak they grow on, if it's an oak I check it.  Uually the bigger the better, the same goes for the stumps.  I have a few more coming and that is usually it for me (pennsylvania).  Did find one lastnight but it had already started to rot, so I left it. 

DROP
LOOK AT DA SIZE A DAT ONE!!

Offline hunter13

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2005, 01:25:34 PM »
i went back and picked them they were anywhere from 3-20 pounds range figured i better get them befor another hunter found them  ;D the guy who got me into hunti g them told me they would only be found around red oaks so i take him and show him these and he  tells me he has to go look at some big white oaks he allways walks by  i see him two days  later he told  me he found 5 around them trees he has walked by for years lol

hunter13

Offline DROP TINE

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2005, 08:15:16 PM »
I went out yesterday afternoon.  Found 3 that are to small and picked one about 5 pounds.  We are supposed to get rain this weekend so hopefully a few more will pop up.  Good luck.

DROP

Offline hunter13

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2005, 09:17:04 PM »
yea we have had alot of rain here going turkey hunting in the am and do some hunting for hens  while im out  will they pop back up where they have ben picked this season or will it be next season befor they come back

hunter13

Offline DROP TINE

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2005, 04:43:26 PM »
Yes.  One stump this year so far (there are 2 on there now that I am including) I have found a total of 8.  There are other stumps/trees that we get 3-4 off each year.  It has been a light rain since this morning and probably tonight, so I would think that something would pop up.  Will check back with you guys soon.

DROP

Offline pointer103

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2005, 10:32:14 AM »
The hens are late this year up here in Mass.
Been checking the woods while birding and nothing.
This afternoon I'm going to the local sawmill, they have a large brush dump with plenty of stumps and old logs.
Some of my best hunting is in there.
A couple of years ago I collected a bearstooth in there that was around 20 lbs.
The chickens have gone past and I missed them, still looking for oysters.

Offline DROP TINE

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2005, 08:18:03 PM »
Got 2 more today.  Not the biggest, but they were big enough.  Will keep looking but they are pretty much done.  Will check back soon.

DROP

Offline the wizard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2006, 07:20:40 AM »
I have a question ;   I found a ''hen of the woods'' yesterday here in south western N.Y. it was on an oak stump weighs 6lbs,
   my question is , would there be any non edible shrooms that resemble hen of the woods or can I be confident in eating it?
      >>>>--------> 2014 Venison Villans

Offline chimo

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:17:51 AM »
I've always been leary about giving advice on mushrooms but from my personal experience is that they are pretty one of a kind.  As always though, it's better to be safe than sorry and if you aren't confident about the species it is best to leave them alone.  This website also claims that there are not any dangerous look alikes.   http://americanmushrooms.com/edibles1.htm   good hunting

chimo

Offline remnard

• Nubbie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:37:36 AM »
I have found them around white oaks also.

Offline remnard

• Nubbie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:49:16 AM »
Don't pass up the stumps too.  I usually find the biggest of the season on big dead stumps.  Matter of fact,  the biggest of the season was found on a stump, it took up about  75% of the garbage bag I was using.  I haven't really noticed what particular kinds of oak they grow on, if it's an oak I check it.  Uually the bigger the better, the same goes for the stumps.  I have a few more coming and that is usually it for me (pennsylvania).  Did find one lastnight but it had already started to rot, so I left it. 

DROP

A word of caution using garbage bags for collecting. Most garbage bags have a mildew and funguscide in them. placing food in them whether it be mushrooms or deer meat.

Offline BBK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2009, 01:35:41 PM »
I've always been leary about giving advice on mushrooms but from my personal experience is that they are pretty one of a kind.  As always though, it's better to be safe than sorry and if you aren't confident about the species it is best to leave them alone.  This website also claims that there are not any dangerous look alikes.   http://americanmushrooms.com/edibles1.htm   good hunting

chimo

Way to bring back a topic from 3 years ago.  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal