Author Topic: Morel Mushroom Question..  (Read 7115 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Morel Mushroom Question..
« on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:23:10 PM »
I know spring is still a ways off, but last year I found Morels on my property for the first time....I didn't pick any of them.. Some were nice and well formed , some were small and not formed so well... The question I have is will the ones I left produce a better crop this spring???..And if you do find a patch and pick them all will more regrow the folowing year????
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
Re: Morel Mushroom Question..
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2010, 10:27:06 PM »
I know here in MI they will grow back in the same spot the following year as the year before, only by certain trees tho........

We find a lot of them by dead elm trees, but i have seen and read that the best time to find morels by a dead elm is in the first 3 years it has died, aftre those 3 yrs they mushroom growth will slowly vanish.......  We had an elm behind our house, the first year we found 70 white morels under it, 2nd year 60, 3rd year, 20, then the 4th year only like 10, 5th year they were gone.

In popple stands they grow ALL over, and regrow every year, just use an onion sack to put picked shrooms into so the spores are able to fall out of the shrooms in order to help regrow the following year.
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2010, 01:47:51 PM »
Any body finding any with this warm weather.......... ???

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2010, 02:58:44 PM »
I didnt know we had them in NY!!I dont think I ever seen one cause I just googled a pic an doesnt look familiar that I ever seen............. :-\

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2010, 03:26:52 PM »
Found some last year..

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2010, 04:28:52 PM »
I think I smighta een them before but never paid them any mine!!!!You know the most mushrooms/berry's are poisonous driven into us as kids..... ;D

gonna know what to look for now!!!! ;)

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2010, 04:25:12 PM »
CP morel mushrooms are AWESOME!!!!  Great tasting mushroom! One day we were out bass fishing, caught a couple incidental eyes, but they were in season, got home and went and found a bunch of morels, that night we had fresh morels and fresh walleye.................  GREATEST MUSHROOM IN THE WORLD! And they're a LOT of fun to look for!!!
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2010, 04:44:13 PM »
I wish I had a ruler in that first picture.. That one was over 8 inches tall.. I dont know what happened to the second one, just grew that way....

Offline hotdog

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2010, 03:15:46 AM »
I know spring is still a ways off, but last year I found Morels on my property for the first time....I didn't pick any of them.. Some were nice and well formed , some were small and not formed so well... The question I have is will the ones I left produce a better crop this spring???..And if you do find a patch and pick them all will more regrow the folowing year????
yes they will but in some cases they might tkae a couple of years. but keep piking them and use a orange sack or something like that. keep those spores on the ground. if you cleean them in a bowl of water, take the bowl of dirty water and put it over that area. that will help.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2010, 05:21:15 AM »
I hope more grow in the same spots.. Will go looking again today...

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2010, 09:29:23 AM »
 What do you do after you find some??   How do you pick them, clean them and cook them???

Offline patriot88

• Nubbie
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 12:13:47 PM »
I realize this post is rather old, but....when I find morels, I pick them by snapping them off near the base of the stem so as to leave the root in the ground. To clean them I halve them or quarter them depending on size and wash them with cold water, then leave them to soak in a mild salt water solution(fresh water and a couple tblspn of salt). To cook them, I like to use real butter and fry them with sliced onions, garlic salt to taste, and a little pepper. They are best cooked the same day you find them, and even if you don't plan on eating them that day, freeze what you've cooked and dethaw when needed...tastes great!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 06:43:14 PM »
I have learned a lot since I moved back to NY...  When in MI the guy I went with just sold them all...  I never got to eat them...   Now I know what to do with them.... ;D

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 04:18:10 AM »
Patriot 88, thanks for the info and welcome to the site from Oswego.NY. And more importantly " Thank you for your service "

Peddler
Peddler

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 06:21:45 AM »
I have learned alot by reading this thread heard about them but never knew what to look for !!!!
Thanks guys & Welcome to the site as well Patriot 88 .... From VT. ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal