Hunting by Game/Technique > Turkey Hunting

1st year turkey hunting

(1/6) > >>

redeyes:
its my first year of turkey hunting this coming season, and would like any tips that would hopefully bag me a turkey. I have the equiptment already,and my license and my tags, I just need tips on where to hunt, and when. I live in western MA, and need info on where I should look for turkeys. last deer season, I was waiting out the deer on the ground, my dad was driving anything towards me, and I seen 8 full size turkeys that came within 10 yards from me, I stood up slowly, without them hearing me, and just watched them walk away, it was neat, and I thought Id give them a try, I just need some tips from you guys who hunt them.  thanks

Turkeyman05:
Hey Redeyes, glad to have you as a fellow turkey hunter! OK, the first thing to remember is remember everyday afield. LEARN FROM THE BIRDS AND YOUR MISHAPS! Turkey hunting is a blast, and it is easy to get started. First off you will need some kind of turkey vest to carry all your essentials, Now, do not go overboard with calls at first but I do recommend a good box or push button call. SCOUT SCOUT SCOUT! Get to know the birds. Know where they roost feed and strut.Next, pattern your gun. A turkey is a hard bird to kill. read alot of turkey mags and watch lots of videos. But most of all remember. HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE OUT THERE! When the turkeys are talking it is a blast and it can happen fast or not at all. Just remember that you are reversing nature by calling and waiting for the tom to come to you. If you have any questions let me know and I will try and help.

GOOD LUCK, BUD!

redeyes:
hey Turkeyman05, thanks
can you recommend a good call to start off with, and any Idea where I should look for the birds roosting areas, and where I should set up when hunting season comes around, ie. at the edge of the woods into a field?What kind of trees should I look for where they roost?

Turkeyman05:
ok red, I suggest you pick up a box call to start. I bought the WATERPROOF WIZARD by PENNS WOODS. It sounds great and it is waterproof. Also you will want to pick up a locator call such as a crow call. Very easy to use. Look for bug pnes or hardwoods on the edge of fields or on sides of ridges. Check the bottom of these trees for turkey feathers and/or droppings. If you can get out and scout in the afternoon listen or watch for turkeys. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to their habits. Where they go where they feed or even spots where you see toms strutting. All these areas are spots you want to concentrate on. Turkeys are creatures of habit just like deer. BUT be courteous to other hunters already set up. DO NOT INTERFERE! Try to scout several spots so you have a back up. Ok, setting up on field edges are good as long as you can get in without being detected. But just remember that if the gobbler has hens he will be hard to call up. I could go on forever about what I have learned on my hunts but that would take all night! Just do alot of scouting and if you have any more questions just ask.

Good Luck

redeyes:
I dont understand, and neither do my friends, what do owl and crow calls have to do with turkey hunting, I dont understand it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version