Author Topic: 2012 elk hunting 622  (Read 5761 times)

Offline double_a85

• Nubbie
2012 elk hunting 622
« on: Oct 29, 2012, 10:43:47 AM »
Well, spent a week up on the north side of Fort Peck in 622 chasing cows... wasn't a good week. First, found out one of my favorite spots had a big fire roll thru this summer, leaving behind nothing but black ground.... so no elk there...

Then found out that some ranches that allowed public hunting, one was in block management, closed all hunting. Fence posts had signs saying "NO HUNTING Thanks to MT FWP Free Roaming Bison Plan." So, needless to say, elk ain't stupid, and they went right to where there was no pressure.

Was a discouraging hunt, but was able to sit 60 yards from a couple bulls... too bad the bull tag is hard to obtain.

So if anyone is heading that way, hope this info helps on planning for the hunt...

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: 2012 elk hunting 622
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2012, 10:47:03 AM »
Welcome to the site...    To bad about a disappointing hunt.
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

halfrack33

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »
Well, spent a week up on the north side of Fort Peck in 622 chasing cows... wasn't a good week. First, found out one of my favorite spots had a big fire roll thru this summer, leaving behind nothing but black ground.... so no elk there...

Then found out that some ranches that allowed public hunting, one was in block management, closed all hunting. Fence posts had signs saying "NO HUNTING Thanks to MT FWP Free Roaming Bison Plan." So, needless to say, elk ain't stupid, and they went right to where there was no pressure.

Was a discouraging hunt, but was able to sit 60 yards from a couple bulls... too bad the bull tag is hard to obtain.

So if anyone is heading that way, hope this info helps on planning for the hunt...

Thats a shame. Where in MT are you located? I'm planning to head out there for the last two weeks of November next year. Staying in Big Sky about an hour south of Bozeman, and trying to hunt public land in the bozeman area - possibly dillion as well if I don't have any luck the first week.

Offline hunterdan1

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2012, 02:29:17 PM »
Alot of hunter in the bozeman area and if get much south of bozeman you will be sharing the mountain with afew giz.I hunt the Dillon area I live in Bozeman

halfrack33

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »
Dan - I'm sending you a PM

Offline double_a85

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2012, 03:03:38 PM »
Halftrack---

622 is located on the north side of Fort Peck Reservoir in North central/North east Montana. All the elk hunting is by permit only.

Offline sra61

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2013, 04:00:26 PM »
We have hunted Unit 622 for many years, the last 20 or so years by horseback. Last season was the worst I've ever seen for elk sighted and deer sighted also. We rode into two of the most remote spots I know of in the unit and only saw one cow about two miles away, a bunch of 3 raghorns, one muley buck and one muley doe, and one lone antelope. We saw twice as many coyotes as all other game animals combined. I don't know what they have done to 622, but I don't plan to go back again. Once they raised the lake level, that destroyed all of the river bottom security cover, and made access way easier than it used to be. In my opinion 622 will never recover to what it used to be as long as the lake level stays up this high. The other units that still have the river bottom willow thickets still have elk. The really amazing thing to me, is that I see FWP has put the same number of tags up for sale again this year in 622. Maybe I've lost my mind? I think someone has. I always though that one of the main missions of FWP was to be a steward of our game and fish resources. Our hunting and fishing license dollars go to them to that end hopefully. I for one want a refund!

Offline double_a85

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2013, 11:58:11 AM »
We have hunted Unit 622 for many years, the last 20 or so years by horseback. Last season was the worst I've ever seen for elk sighted and deer sighted also. We rode into two of the most remote spots I know of in the unit and only saw one cow about two miles away, a bunch of 3 raghorns, one muley buck and one muley doe, and one lone antelope. We saw twice as many coyotes as all other game animals combined. I don't know what they have done to 622, but I don't plan to go back again. Once they raised the lake level, that destroyed all of the river bottom security cover, and made access way easier than it used to be. In my opinion 622 will never recover to what it used to be as long as the lake level stays up this high. The other units that still have the river bottom willow thickets still have elk. The really amazing thing to me, is that I see FWP has put the same number of tags up for sale again this year in 622. Maybe I've lost my mind? I think someone has. I always though that one of the main missions of FWP was to be a steward of our game and fish resources. Our hunting and fishing license dollars go to them to that end hopefully. I for one want a refund!

sra61--- i was shocked as you about the game numbers...

Our group didn't get any tags up there this year, so I won't have to worry about it... but now the problem is trying to find a new place and hope to learn it quick enough to be able to locate some elk to fill the freezer!

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2013, 01:42:45 PM »
Oh you guys are so lucky to have those different animals......sighs and I need to get a job in MT so I can live your lives

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal