Author Topic: 2017 Maine buck  (Read 3286 times)

Offline MGK

• 6 Pointer
2017 Maine buck
« on: Nov 02, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »
Punched my Tag this morning. Most insane deer hunting experience I've had in my life. Deer in my spot have shifted and at the risk of sounding like an a$$hole I'm not too disappointed. The crowd is on the fringes and I'm afraid my spot will get blown up if the deer were still piled in there.

The Story:

I've been on the edge of a swamp and the bucks are starting to show up a little more during the day. This particular buck has made a daylight appearance on cam twice in the last week. The beginning of this week has been slow. Scrolling through Facebook has shown a lot of bucks being shot chasing does so I knew it was only going to be a matter of time before I had one come in. I found a very nice opening to hunt but it has a lot of underbrush so the ideal height to be off the ground is about 6'. I've had my climber setup as more or less a tree seat. This morning walking in in the dark I jumped a deer about 150 yards away from the stand. I heard him go but also heard him stop after a few bounds. I tip toed to my stand, and got in. Waited until 7am and then let out a few grunts and tickled the rattle antlers together. It was sprinkling pretty good and had rained during the night so it was quite and hard to hear. I waited 20 minutes and let out two grunts and touched the rattling antlers together. I didn't even technically rattle, I just made it sound like two bucks locking up. Well the second I hit the rattle together, I hear a loud SNAP directly behind me. I turn quickly as it startled me and see a buck running right at me. He was about 15 yards when I spotted him and closing fast. He ran right to me as I stood up and we locked eyes at 1 yard.... almost arms length. I'm not sure who was more shocked but he J hooked hard and took a few bounds. He more or less made a circle and when he came back around broadside on a trot, I let one go. He humped up and took of. This is where I'm more embarrassed then anything. I was flustered as I'm sure most people would be. I thought I saw him go down so I hoped down and went to see if I could find him. I did a few passes and never found hair, blood, or he deer. I then got back in my stand and looked at exactly where he was when I shot. I went there and found lung and blood on the trees and ground. Followed it to a blow down and then couldn't find it. Did another quick sweep, no deer. I'm beginning go freak. I called up dad (JDK) and he more or less talked me off the edge. Told me to sit down for 5 minutes and start over.... needless to say I found the deer in about 7 minutes. Great shot, both lungs were mush and he only went about 80-100yrds. I don't normally get worked up like that but boy I've never seen anything like that. I've rattled in bucks before but never had them almost climb in my lap. Great day, long drag, and as I type this I'm drinking a well deserved beer with a smile on my face. Nothing better!  8pt 160lbs

Offline VenisonFreak

• 6 Pointer
Re: 2017 Maine buck
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »
Nice Buck Matt! Heck of a hunt.

Offline BridgtonDoe

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2017, 09:00:21 PM »
Nice looking buck! Congrats!
I need to get me one of those  ;)
                            Brenda
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2017, 09:21:12 PM by BridgtonDoe »

Offline Alex De Large

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2017, 09:10:18 PM »
Congrats! Great looking buck.

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »
nice   I had the same thing happen to me about 30 years ago will never forget it

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2017, 10:12:59 AM »
Great job.. Congratulations....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2017, 01:22:07 PM »
I bet that was exciting! Congrats.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2017, 04:39:30 PM »
Awesome hunt Matt  :) Hunt's like that is what keep's us pumped Congrad's on a great buck ........

Headed up to camp on the 9th for 10 day's Going to be nice to get away haven't been in 2 years   :) :) :) :)

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2017, 04:45:34 PM by Green Mountian Hunter »

Offline Buckwild

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »
Matt, That is a nice Buck and recap of the hunt.
My buddy one time got a deer close like that. He was sitting on a stone wall. He heard something behind him. A 6 ptr jumped the wall and stopped 4 ft away. Sean shot from the hip and dropped it Lol!
You just never know. Congratz!

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »
Great story and a nice buck. Congratulations!  ;D
It'll chew...

Offline MGK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2017, 07:08:54 PM »
Matt, That is a nice Buck and recap of the hunt.
My buddy one time got a deer close like that. He was sitting on a stone wall. He heard something behind him. A 6 ptr jumped the wall and stopped 4 ft away. Sean shot from the hip and dropped it Lol!
You just never know. Congratz!

It happens! Dad shot a small buck one year at pretty much point blank. An old guy that used to go to dads deer camp had a spot that he would literally tuck into the Christmas trees and shoot the deer coming down the path. He shot multiple 200lbers at less then 8 feet  :o

Offline windwalker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2017, 10:48:49 PM »
A bit late but congrats , awesome hunt

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal