Author Topic: What Broadheads Do You Shoot?  (Read 12707 times)

Offline CParsons

• 6 Pointer
Re: What Broadheads Do You Shoot?
« Reply #30 on: Jul 30, 2013, 11:08:44 AM »
No matter what you use make sure you shoot them before hunting. I used Muzzys for year. But when I got a new bow I couldn't get them to fly right. Between 2 pro shops and friends working on it they still would not fly true. That was the reason I switched to rage.

same situation here, shot muzzys ever since i started hunting but i havent been able to get them to fly very true with my new bow. Ive been trying for 2 years now, ive still managed to kill deer with them but i no longer had the confidence to shoot much farther that about 20 yards. Made the switch to rage this year and i am very pleased they fly just like my practice tips, we will see how they do this year on a deer. And it gave me my confidence back to take shots out between 20 and 30 yeards which in my opinion is huge in the sport of bow hunting.

Offline chimo

• Forked
« Reply #31 on: Jul 30, 2013, 12:50:45 PM »
I use the Redhead blackouts.  The 3 blade version is basically a NAP spitfire.  Never had any issues with them even when going through ribs and leg bones or the buck I accidenally spined.  I work at Basspro part time so I get them at a discounted price though which is the biggest selling point. 

Offline bone_and_beard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Jul 30, 2013, 03:51:40 PM »
I like them and wouldn't hesitate to use them again. A couple years ago they switched to soft metal for the blades. Before if I missed I could just resharpen and reuse. Now the blades have to be replaced, if you can get the screw out to do it. I had about a 50/50 chance on the ones I tried.

I switched because I am cheap. Magnus has a lifetime replacement policy and they are $10 cheaper. These heads are tough!!
Thanks for the info, I'm excited to draw some blood!

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Jul 30, 2013, 11:14:18 PM »
You guys won't be disappointed. I have seen massive blood trails with them. Unfortunately my father hit a shoulder and only got a couple inches of penetration. Never found the deer but I believe it lived.

I was looking at the chisel tip and hypodermic heads from Rage. They look sweet and would fix one of my complaints. Ill see if I have an older head and post the difference in designs of the Rage. 

Offline DrawThis

• Nubbie
« Reply #34 on: Sep 12, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »
Ive  been using rage myself but my brother gave me some swackers to try! Any input on these?  They are a 2 blade mechanical (expandable) broadhead!

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #35 on: Sep 12, 2013, 09:57:36 AM »
I use a 3 blade 65 grain Muzzy and a 65 grian mechanical called a punch cutter, blades stay insde broadhead until pressure is aplied to the tip, this results in a 2" entry hole.
A. White

Offline sniperwolf

• Spiked
« Reply #36 on: Sep 17, 2013, 03:07:26 PM »
switched to rage 3 blade 4 yrs ago but since was informed by a dec officer that they're illegle in NY because of barb formed if a blade jams.Switched to the 2 blade and love them!!Had a couple questionable shots from limb (trolls) and the devistating wound caused by these broadheads without a dought is what made recovery of my deer possible!  ;D

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #37 on: Sep 17, 2013, 03:58:39 PM »
switched to rage 3 blade 4 yrs ago but since was informed by a dec officer that they're illegle in NY because of barb formed if a blade jams.Switched to the 2 blade and love them!!Had a couple questionable shots from limb (trolls) and the devistating wound caused by these broadheads without a dought is what made recovery of my deer possible!  ;D

meat seeker 3 blade are legal, and awesome ;)
Take a Kid outside...

Offline BloodStainedArrow

• Forked
« Reply #38 on: Sep 17, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Shooting the rage 2 blades on deer and the Montec G5s on other game. Took a bear with the G5s last fall, sliced right through all the fat, both lungs, and back out the other side three inches into the ground. Nothing like seeing the Nocktournal glowing after a clean pass through

Offline Mearzy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Sep 17, 2013, 08:24:39 PM »
I used to shoot 100g. Muzzy's loved them but finally upgaded to a new bow and faster arrows and made the move to expandibles, started with the RAGE 2 blade and man its no joke they are exactly what all the hype is about they will leave you a red carpet, got tired of buying extra rubber bands and shock collars and switched to NAP Killzone Maxx; virtually the same head as the Rage  just a little bit wider cut and the biggest aspect that made me switch is the mechanism, NAP doesn't use any rubber o-rings or plastic shock collars they utilize a internal spring clip = less time chasing parts and more time shooting.

Offline Mearzy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #40 on: Sep 17, 2013, 08:30:16 PM »
Deadeyez-  I would say that unless your bow is cranked beyond 60+ pounds and your arrows are matched I wouldn't mess with your set up. Personally I would stick with the Muzzy's.  The new expandibles may not be a good match for your current set up, don't just drop the $40-$50 bucks on heads without talking to a reputable archery shop, tell them what you are shooting for bow & arrows and they will steer you in the right direction, you might just find out that you all set with the tried & true Muzzy's

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #41 on: Sep 22, 2013, 06:09:17 AM »
Have to remember, most broadhead companies are marketing to "hunting" set ups on a bow. Not 3D or target archery. So they are using heavy arrows, and slower speeds than most guys who purchase them are.
I have never found a fixed blade that can't be matched to a bow. Some do plane more than others, but it is a matter of matching all components. Not just moving a rest, or a sight. You may have to change arrows, or start with tuning a heavier bare shaft to your bow.
Remember, speed isn't what kills an animal with a bow. kinetic energy and placement are key. Some of the new bows shoot very fast, but when turned down and matched with a heavier grain per inch arrow,( your changing weight per inch not spine) they increase kinetic energy by leaps and bounds.
I've talked to a lot of bow hunters, that have stated the same thing. On the range, having all four pins right tight to each other is great. But when shooting a deer, it's critical to know how far the animal is as all of the pins will be on the body for a further distance. Sometimes that is distracting and leads to second guessing your yardage. I've found that between 280 and 290'/sec, your pins will be a good yardage confirmation. Average deer body is close to the same measurement. That said look at the range to see where your 30 yard pin is when shooting 20 yards. You should find that you can bracket the deer with your pins and tell how far away it is. The idea was used for some of these range finding sights. As with everyone I went through the mechanical phase. Lost some deer to them not performing well. Learned that I could make fixed blades work, though it isn't a quick fix a lot of the time.
As for what I'm shooting now, they are Crimson Talons.  Curved, fixed blades, with a quick spin tip. Have taken one myself, and my son three with them. The holes the produce are impressive, and blood trail is awesome.
http://www.keystone-sports.com/crimson_talon_review.html

Offline Mountain Man

• Spiked
  • Lets kill something!
« Reply #42 on: Sep 22, 2013, 10:41:16 AM »
Fixed blade for me.
Team Realtree.         Remington.
Budweiser                  Jack Daniels
Bowtech.                     Summit stands

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal