Author Topic: looking for a .260 Rem.  (Read 2191 times)

Offline newfound

• 6 Pointer
looking for a .260 Rem.
« on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
Hi all,

I was looking for a 6.5 Swede to convert for my 12yr old daughter.  That is until I read about the 260 Rem.
If anyone hears of someone looking to get rid of theirs, please think of me/send me a PM.
I believe the best for her would be a Remington Model 7 Youth .260 Rem. 18" barrel preferably stainless.  These shoot most loads well because of the middle of the road 9:1 twist.
The Ruger Hawkeye/Compacts I'm looking at too, but they have 16 1/2" barrels and a 8:1 twist and are finicky with loads.
Any help is appreciated.  Looking now, so she can be ready for next Fall.

After this past weekend at the Newfound Ice Derby, I've got the itch to get in the woods again.

Cheers,
Newfound Bloodhound

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
  • New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting!
Re: looking for a .260 Rem.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:26:10 AM »
I haven't been to rileys in Hooksett lately, but they typically have a lot of those guns.  I have an old mauser however it is not a youth rifle nor is it in a caliber you're looking for.  It's .308 in rough condition.  Old, heavy, but still accurate with open sites.

Offline newfound

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:01:11 AM »
I haven't been to rileys in Hooksett lately, but they typically have a lot of those guns.  I have an old mauser however it is not a youth rifle nor is it in a caliber you're looking for.  It's .308 in rough condition.  Old, heavy, but still accurate with open sites.

Hey Knurren! 
Those Old Mausers are great.  I was looking for a Mauser/Husky in 6.5 Swede to convert to youth carbine, until I read about the .260.  Short action modern 6.5 Swede is what it really is.  Never took off in popularity, but really should have.
Not trying to steer you away from Riley's, but I've not been in there in Years.  I refuse.  I now only deal with Lewis Arms in Bow, NH.  My dad and I use to get all our gun smith work done by Brad Lewis when he rented the basement over at Riliey's.  Then they upped his rent to the point he couldn't afford it.  Fortunately he was able to gather funding and open his own place.
I always liked the Riley's manager 'Denver', but when the new owners forced out Brad, I stopped going there.  My dad put down money(a few hundred) on a Browning 12gauge rifled barrel years ago at Riley's.  I forget the model, but Browning didn't export this model to the States, and Riley's didn't let my dad know about it.  My dad kept kept calling every week to see if the gun was in yet.  This went on for Months, Yes Months.  I told my dad to check out Brad's new place in Bow, and Brad filled him in that the Browning that my dad had ordered, will never arrive.  Browning at the last minute decided not to import that particular model.. Riley's never told my dad of this, but held his money.  Brad told my dad, the the Remington 870 rifled 12gauge was just as accurate as the Brownings at 1/2 the price...  My dad got his deposit back from Riley's, and picked up the Remington at Lewis.  I shot it up against a few other 12gauges at the Pemi Valley Range, and there are others that can match it's accuracy, but nothing better and it was much less money.
Lewis had a Rem. Model 7 Youth in 7-08, that I was really tempted to get, because of price...  I believe last year at this time it was under $400.  I was really, really tempted.  They are suppose to retail for $700 or more.  However, this isn't for me, it's for the kids and I'm holding out for the 260.

Newfound
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2009, 09:03:57 AM by newfound »

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2009, 08:02:57 AM »
They Mausers can be fun, but the old military ones are too heavy to really carry in the woods.  I just shoot it at the range from time to time.  Plus, there's no recoil pad; the but of the gun is steel and it isn't really made to fit my shoulder.

Longbeard mentioned on IS about getting an encore.  You could get the barrel for the contender too.  The encores are nice and it really is as easy as swaping barrels.  If I need a turkey gun for this season, I'm buying an encore frame and will add the stock and turkey barrel I want.  I've seen Duck Doctors .260 encore shoot and it's dead nuts at 100 yards with a Leupold VXII scope.  Definitely a nice hunting gun.

Offline newfound

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2009, 07:24:47 PM »
Thanks Knurren.

I have a TC Contender in 44mag.  I found a person in Dover, NH that makes custom Encore and Contender barrels out of Douglas xx stock. http://www.ottllc.com/
I can have a custom .260 barrel made for my Contender for about $550.  Kinda pricey, but It's an option.  I'm gonna get serious soon so the kids will have all summer at the range.
It's too bad not many know about the .260.  It's a do everything round that shoots like a .243

N.B.

Offline hunterdan1

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2009, 09:20:51 PM »
My wife hunts with a 260 ruger shoots great and Little recoil.

Offline newfound

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2009, 06:00:52 AM »
Check out this post on .264 bullet performance.  Not surprising, but really good info.  This guy did a lot of work to put this together. Chart on page 2 and pictures on page 3.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1481504/page/1

I also found this person in Dover, NH that makes custom Encore and Contender Barrels.
http://www.ottllc.com/

N.B.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2009, 06:03:31 AM by newfound »

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2009, 09:11:55 AM »
That's pretty neat.  I'd like to test my .30 T/C this year with wet news paper.  It only comes in 150gr. and 165gr. and is only made by Hornady in their SST InterLock.  For such an odd round, it's only about 25-28 dollars a box, depending on where you find it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal