Author Topic: Base Layers for Extreme Cold Weather Hunting  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
Base Layers for Extreme Cold Weather Hunting
« on: Jan 01, 2020, 11:59:57 AM »
Looking for opinions on upgrading base layers while hunting in extreme cold, these past two years have really changed to hunting in more extreme cold and I am in need of new long underwear, both bottoms and tops.  Currently I wear a pair of under armour cold gear bottoms and top that must be at least 8-10 years old, they are amazingly in good serviceable condition with only minor pilling issues in the crotch area of the bottoms.  Was given a Cablelas gift card for Christmas so I purchased the Cabelas ECWCS heavyweight grid fleece base layer bottoms.  I also decided on and ordered the LL Bean Cresta Marino Wool midweight 1/4 zip base layer top.  The problem I have in extreme cold weather is long distance hikes into remote areas where you really work up a sweat and then need to sit for long periods of time once you get to your targeted area.  You need to be light weight as possible while hiking in or following track in snow.  My go to outer pants is traditional mid weight wool pants (I like and use the Big Bill medium weight).  I also own a heavier weight Woolrich Malone wool pants, but prefer not to wear them on long distance hunts as they are too heavy and cause overheating.  When going on long distance hunts I really don't like carrying a pack, too much weight and interferes with a quick shot while still hunting, although I realize that it gives you the option of taking off layers or adding more layers depending on whether you are walking or on stand.  As far as the upper core chest/torso area i typically wear a base layer with a chamois shirt or fleece shirt and then a soft shell jacket with option for lighter or heavier weight.  On top of all the upper core wear I put on a fairly heavy duty Cabelas orange flourescent vest with plenty of pockets to carry all of the necessary equipment to include flashlight, rain gear, rope, flagging tape, deer drag etc. So my thoughts are that I could reduce weight on long distance hunts with a fanny pack, much lighter weight outer shell jacket with upper shoulder flourescent orange cape only.  Do you think I made the right choice with the base layers?

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Base Layers for Extreme Cold Weather Hunting
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2020, 01:10:14 PM »
I also am a UA cold gear base fan, however as far as lightest clothing while providing peak performance as I like you do not like carrying anything more than needed. Nothing in my opinion beats Sitka gear, however you will pay dearly
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2020, 01:11:11 PM »
I wore the fanatic suit during the last 2 bucks I shot this season in low teen temps and never thought of shivering even 4-5 hours in

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2020, 03:00:04 PM »
I have some merino wool bottom and top base layers, but still had the same issue you mentioned. I bought a pair of coveralls from cabelas, and they made big difference for me the last few sits. I think they were RedHead bibs. I did do one hike in them, and totally overdressed and was drenched with sweat when I got done.

For ice fishing my merino wool base layers get a polyester/super fiber type layer, and then I’m usually cozy as can be. Having wool with the fake super fiber stuff on top of that helps with the sweat and cold it seems.

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:05:52 AM »
It is tough to beat Sitka or First Lite.

My base layer for cold weather hunting and ice fishing is the Sitka Core. I use the lightweight version. Then I layer over that with an older heavy First Lite merino.

You can pick up the Sitka base layers on sale (30% - 40% off) if you look around.

I wear Sitka Stratus for my outer layer. I like being able to layer under it and it is still windproof. The Fanatic line looks awesome though.

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2020, 02:12:09 PM »
I wore the fanatic suit during the last 2 bucks I shot this season in low teen temps and never thought of shivering even 4-5 hours.

I would love to own that set of Sitka fanatic bibs for hunting only but at $459.00 don't think I can justify it to the wife.  I do own a nice set of striker ice bibs but those would be a bit noisy while on stand and probably too hot!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2020, 04:10:43 PM »
Yep I’ve considered that as well but you are right very loud and mine have reflective material and def uv brightened.

If you know any Sitka pro staff twice a year they do friend and family discoubt ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal