Author Topic: best part of deer for jerky  (Read 25611 times)

Offline oldmossyhorn

• Spiked
Re: best part of deer for jerky
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2011, 04:35:19 AM »
jerky shooter.....hmmm never heard of it. love the idea
oldmossyhorn

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #16 on: Sep 29, 2011, 05:27:48 AM »
 If anyone buy's one Get the Bigger one, Have to stop and fill it a lot less. It has sausage stuffing attachment's also.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #17 on: Sep 29, 2011, 08:04:05 AM »
Wife just told me sees those jerky shooters at garage sales all the time... :o :o :o
Man, I got to go with her..... ::)

And you can caulk you tub with it too. ::) ::)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Sep 29, 2011, 08:31:05 AM »
Question for you guys...

I have been reading about the dehydrators...  and see a great big warning that the meat should be heated to 160 or so and the dehydrators dont go that hot .....

It was recommended to boil in the marinade for a couple of minutes first then dehydrate\

Any thoughts?? ......  just dont worry about it??  :o

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #19 on: Sep 29, 2011, 08:32:30 AM »
Love a tool that is all about functionalism..... ;D ;D ;D

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #20 on: Sep 29, 2011, 08:53:07 AM »
Question for you guys...

I have been reading about the dehydrators...  and see a great big warning that the meat should be heated to 160 or so and the dehydrators dont go that hot .....

It was recommended to boil in the marinade for a couple of minutes first then dehydrate\

I've never heated my jerky that much and never had an issue. The salt in the brine would kill off most nasties if there were any I would think. You could always call a butcher and ask if you want some reassurance.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #21 on: Sep 29, 2011, 09:47:02 AM »
The cure is what is supposed to kill the bacteria I belive.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #22 on: Sep 29, 2011, 10:24:44 AM »
I think if you just keep eating it you gain an immunity to bacteria, ::) I have and still do eat some FUNKY and questionable stuff and dont get sick. I could go on one of those Bizarre food shows and dominate. 8)
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline SilentStalker

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Sep 29, 2011, 10:29:29 AM »
Question for you guys...

I think my dehydrator goes to 155 and that is fine. I actually do mine at 145. Also, They tell you 8 hours or whatever to leave them on the racks. That is WAY to long at least with mine. I suggest checking after 1,5 hours and flipping racks, top to bottom and so on. I have a small 4 rack system and loaded up they take 3.5 hours flipped at 1.75 hours.

Offline millermankt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:22:26 PM »
160 is very well done beef (or venison ) no need to go that high, it is the cure that kills bacteria. i love my verky shooter.

Offline pansycitylimits

• Nubbie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 02, 2012, 11:38:19 AM »
I slice my meat to .20 inches or .25 if I want it softer, You can also fit more on the smoker racks if you use thicker slices. I like it stringy so I slice with the grain, for easier chewing slice across the grain. I do 30-50 lb a year so it is to time consuming trying to slice small muscles. I separate out the muscles in the back legs and the biggest from the front and trim ALL fat and most membrane before slicing, spreading on my homemade smoker racks and seasoning with high mountain or such. I usually smoke the next day, though you can do it the same day. The backstraps and tenderloins are cured in the same seasoning for at least a day, then I smoke at 130 degrees for about 3 hours with oak wood, checking frequently for texture. Don't let it get brittle. The loins can stay in for an extra hour or two; just slice off samples from time to time. i also raise the temperature at this time. The remaining 30 % or so of the deer goes into hamburger or stew, I don't like the texture of hamburger jerky.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Nov 02, 2012, 12:17:16 PM »
I think if you just keep eating it you gain an immunity to bacteria, ::) I have and still do eat some FUNKY and questionable stuff and dont get sick. I could go on one of those Bizarre food shows and dominate. 8)

like lizard lips........................

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal