Author Topic: best part of deer for jerky  (Read 25615 times)

Offline kyhareraiser

• Forked
best part of deer for jerky
« on: Sep 28, 2011, 07:59:42 PM »
 gonna try my luck at making some deer jerky this year and i have a few questions in which i feel i can get all the answers i need right here with you fellars ...1st..what part of the deer is best for making jerky ,#2 at what thickness do y'all slice the meat  #3 what are some diffrent recipes that everyone uses to make your favorite kind..  i always have my deer ground up and make summer sausage  with it..mighty tasty arround camp or while in the blind or maybe on stand  but figure this year i will go with jerky..i have a dehydrator but seems like a guy told me once he dried his in the oven on 125 degreed with the door cracked a tad,,anyone do this......................help me out if you will
Team Carnivorous Habit

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
Re: best part of deer for jerky
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:13:37 PM »
I have made a lot of jerkey, Usually with A High Mountaintn Seasonings kit. I usued to put the front shoulders into jerkey Even did some hind quarter and I woke up to the fact that I was putting good steak into jerkey. I got a Jerkey shooter and grind it now, That way I use the stuff that would go into hamburger anyway. Still taste's awesome.Not wasting steak. It's quite a bit of work but well worth the reward. I dry mine in the oven on racks, Working on building a smoker this winter. I have also done the snack stick's the same way and they too are great. If you do go with the whole muscle meat you can hang the pieces from tooth picks on the oven racks and get a lot more in there. ;)

" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:16:13 PM »
NICE!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:17:41 PM »
MMMMMMM. What the heck am I doing working. :-\

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:18:58 PM »
I got to make me some of them................... 8)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:19:24 PM »
OH................. I think I see a deer out the window? 8)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:19:44 PM »
I make a lot and it comes out great. I wouldn't cut the meat more than 1/4 inch, when you cut it try to cut it at an angle (45-60*) to the grain. I like mine hot and add two tablespoons of very hot sauce. I started using the box fan and filters and it comes out real good, but I use a dehydrator now. I have had it literally last a year at room temp in a bag and been fine. Here's the recipe I use. Any part of the deer works fine as long as you cut it at an angle to the grain, just get all the fat and silver skin out. I've even used the thin muscles from the outside of the rib cage.

Beef Jerky

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005

Prep Time:
    20 min
Inactive Prep Time:
    8 hr 0 min
Cook Time:
    12 hr 0 min

Level:
    Difficult

Serves:
    10 to 12 ounces

Ingredients

1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
    2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    Special Equipment: 1 box fan, 4 paper air-conditioning filters, and 2 bungee cords

Directions

Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.

Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.

Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.

Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. If using a commercial dehydrator, follow the manufacturer's directions.

Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:21:10 PM »
OH................. I think I see a deer out the window? 8)

OH............... every day. :( Watched 5 bedded down today for 6 hours.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:22:14 PM »
Well not for 6 hours but when I was close to a window.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:22:24 PM »
I also let mine marinade over night.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
Wife just told me sees those jerky shooters at garage sales all the time... :o :o :o
Man, I got to go with her..... ::)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:59:12 PM »
Wife just told me sees those jerky shooters at garage sales all the time... :o :o :o

There ya go....      ;D ;D ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2011, 09:17:43 PM »
Tell her to keep her eye out for an old patch and ball flintlock, she can make a few bucks off me  ;D.

Offline corny13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2011, 10:01:36 PM »
Best Jerky Ive ever had was made by my friends dad where he would take the backstraps off a buck, marinate in a salt brine for a week, then hot smoke to 180F, you had this hard big chunk of meat that was a soft jerky that was shaved off.... lot of work though.  Lately Ive been making Deer bacon instead, fine grind any cut  mix 50/50 with boston butt pork fine ground, mix in Curley's bacon spice mix, pour into a alluminum brownie tin and sit overnight.  Take  out and hot smoke till 180F in a Bradley smoker then cut into bacon size strips....Wow is that great, you can fry up while ice fishing or throw on the grill for minute each side... all your friends will scarf it up.  Here is a link to get the seasoning...http://stores.curleyssausagekitchen.com/-strse-135/Sausage-seasoning%2C-bacon-ground/Detail.bok     Although made in Iowa a lot of venison in Minnesota and Wisconsin is made into this.. 8)

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2011, 10:09:04 PM »
OH............................ ive never seen a JERKY SHOOTER till today. :o looks like a neat tool. may have to buy one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal