Author Topic: helping my get my first deer  (Read 3540 times)

Offline trying to get my first

• 6 Pointer
helping my get my first deer
« on: Oct 26, 2007, 05:50:04 PM »
Hi..this seaosn will be my first season with a firearm...i usually go with my dad but we neaver seem to get anything..or see anything...we hunt on a orchard surround by woods... we also ground hunt...we scout during off season and we no were the deer are but they  just seem neaver 2 show up,, any off u have any tips on to bag my first deer????..i would not mind getting a doe for my first deer.

Offline roscoe

• 6 Pointer
Re: helping my get my first deer
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2007, 08:12:57 PM »
Just guessing but,they probably feed there all night and you make to much noise when you go in which spooks them out by the time you show up.Just a thought!Do you walk in against the wind or do you just walk in no matter what the wind? Do you hunt the evening shift or just mornings? Evening would probably be better as you could get in and settle down earlier.Better yet scrap the orchard and set up in the bush between the bedding area and the orchard.Sounds like you need to try something different or find a new place to hunt. ;) Good luck.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2007, 06:37:25 AM »
Instead of walking around, Try a tree stand or make your own ground blind out of logs and sticks. Just set up over a nice deer trail or a field.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline trying to get my first

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2007, 05:49:25 PM »
OK thank you guys for the answera back..ya i no a few good runs so i could set up alond it with a nice made blind...ya i must start paying attention to the wind more

Offline BigBuckTaker16

• 6 Pointer
  • It must be the "hat"
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2007, 05:49:03 PM »
I've learned quite a bit from reading and watching some of the salerno's and the benoits books and magazines..Better yet just talk to some ol' timers listen to what they have to say. I would take their advice. Watch deer videos man, start to learn how the deer behave, and some of their habbits. Thats about all I can tell you without going into personal hunting preference which everybody on here will have a different point of view. Good luck!
Iceshanty= AirManCam

Offline Beachcomber

• Nubbie
  • Saskatchewan Roughriders 2007 Grey Cup Champs
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2007, 03:10:01 PM »
I am a newbie also, just got my first buck! (Check out Saskatchewan pages)

I have found that sitting in a blind is well worth it, mind you I have only 2 deer to my name in the past few years but both have been from a blind.  Walking can provide valuavbe info on where to set up or you may spooke some out.  By just sitting there you can hear the deer from a distance and suprise them with a shot of less than 50-100 yards usually! But what do I know I am just starting out also, good to hear some younger people are keeping the tradition alive in North America!

Go get em!

Offline BlueDodgeBob

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2007, 02:43:41 PM »
You must always pay attention to the wind, if you do not work the wind to your advantage you will see very few deer and most of what you do see will be bobbing white butts.  Also you might think about the direction that you approach your stand from, you don't want to be walking around in the area where you expect to see most of the deer come from.  Good luck and keep your powder dry...

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2008, 08:45:09 PM »
Patience, patience and more patience. Like you I started hunting with my dad but never seemed to get any thing, or see much for that matter. It's hard enough for one person to go undetected by a deer, harder for two people hunting together.
   Find a well used deer travel area  between a feeding and bedding area and SIT STILL.  Remember that a deer's food source changes with the season so know what deer in your area like. Green hay fields, acorns, nuts ,apples, standing corn. Know what they are eating and when.  There is a difference between summer travel routes and fall travel routes. No eating snacks from noisy wrappers, drinking fruity drinks or coffee ( The odor will give you away) Do not sit on the trail itself but off it ( well off it 40 yards minimum) with as much of a field of veiw as possible while keeping the wind in your favor.  Where I hunt deer traveling in the early morning go direct from the feeding area to bedding without much lollygaging around. In the evening they usually head to water for a drink before heading to feed. If the feeding area is an open field ( or orchard in your case) they will often stop at the edge  in a "holding" area  inside the tree line waiting for dark before stepping out into the open.
My favorite time to hunt is rainy /snowy afternoons. I have found that the deer begin to move a bit earlier during a light rain light snow., If that rain is a heavy down pour ar the snow is a blizzard than nothing moves. Deer rely on their senses to survive so if a noisy rain has all the leaves moving they will wait it out. During the Rut sit still and watch everything bucks and does both on the move. Watch for movement and not for deer. The first thing that will get you attention is the wiggling of an ear, movement in the brush, flick of a tail.....you will get excited by hundreds of birds and squirells but it will eventually pay off. Good luck to you and DONT GIVE UP until you post a picture of your first deer.  Don't worry about the buck or doe thing. If shooting a doe is legal where you hunt then by all means take a doe. I've shot a number of does and have been proud of them all. Deer meat is deer meat and I love it. Any deer you can load into the back of a truck is a good one  GOOD LUCK TO YOU KID!!!
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2008, 09:53:57 AM »
Two more things, Sit VERY still, like only move your eyes, or sit in the blind and still try to sit still. Also think about what your wearing, Camo is good, but you can shoot deer with out it, they say deer see the color blue like a florecent color. Just try to think about what your wearing and try to keep it scent free.

Offline HUNT FISH COOK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2008, 01:41:26 PM »
well get in a hemlock tree and put a stand in it its the best thing
kill it be for u grill it

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal