Author Topic: Coyote Hunting  (Read 33896 times)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Coyote Hunting
« on: Dec 04, 2009, 08:41:30 AM »
I figured I'd start a new thread to share some coyote hunting experience. I'm no expert by a long shot, so hopefully we can some more experienced predator hunters to offer some help here.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Coyote Hunting
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2009, 09:09:06 AM »
My uncle bought the parts that this guy calls for to make the el-cheapo electronic call, and gave them to me to assemble. I was a bit sceptical, but I'll tell you the thing works great. He also offers free sounds from his web page that you can put on the MP3 player. We got our MP3 players from Ebay, i think my uncle paid under $5 each for them. I have no affiliation with him, but the site is a good resource. When I shot my coyote last year, we used one of his sequence calls, 16 minute I think. On another trip we didn't score on, we put the call on one of the sequences and in the beginning there's a howling pack (welcome). Well we were sitting on the fence line in the middle of a small field and the woods all around us lit up with howls and barks. It was a bit unnerving as they were all within 100 yards of us. I've been using my 30-06 which is legal for coyotes in shotgun deer areas, except during any open deer season. Having my 4.5-14x42mm bouris scope allowed me to see well in the moon light and not need a light. We were only hunting during full moon times with little to no overcast so we could see relatively well.

http://varmintal.com

Home made call page.

http://varmintal.com/ahunt.htm#Calling

Offline SilentStalker

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2009, 10:42:36 AM »
Thanks Stka. I'll look into that.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2009, 10:57:46 AM »
If you want to keep the pelt, you might want to either use a smaller caliber rifle if you have one, or consider FMJs. If I don't find FMJ's that shoot the same as my SPBTs I won't shoot them unless I can get a broadside chest shot. Fortunately I wasn't interested in the pelt off this one, but this is what the '06 did with a 165gr SPBT hot hand load. The coyote was sitting facing me and I hit it in the chest. Sorry for the graphic image, but it's just to show what a wasted pelt it was. It was actually worse than it looks in the picture.

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2009, 01:12:10 PM by stka »

Offline SilentStalker

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2009, 11:23:34 AM »
I wont be keeping the pelts if I see one, but you gotta love the 30-06!

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2009, 12:50:41 PM »
I hope to start hunting for coyotes soon, I tried once last year to call one in and one did come but I miss it. I bought a 22-250 last year so I'm looking forward to trying again soon.

Offline iceplank

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2009, 12:54:56 PM »
any idea what pelts are worth. i will use my 30-06 if they are not worth much.. was never a fan of killing canines... but i think they are eating our fawns...there are consequences 4 that!

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2009, 01:09:15 PM »
From what I have heard there is a surplus of coyote furs from last year still. The fur market has been in decline and the poor economy doesn't help. All this is helping the population increase.

Unfortunately, PETA, etc., have had an effect with their negative ads. This is especially sad when you consider that furs are a renewable resource.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2009, 02:41:06 PM »
One thing that I've seen fist hand from my stand this year is that scent management is huge. I have seen coyotes both wind me and cross the path I walked in on. In both cases they bolted. I wouldn't walk in the way you plan to watch and if the wind isn't right don't even bother going, you'll only educate them and make it harder for the next time.

Offline lyndaker

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2009, 12:16:24 PM »
thanx for posting stka anyone else hunt them i want to start myself but i dont really know how and where to start lol

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2009, 02:59:42 PM »
we hunt them a few different ways here in MI.........  We do some calling, howls, rabbit in distress mostly, and most of our calling is during the nighttime when there is snow on the ground. Around here the yotes are more active during the night time hours, so that is when we call them, we have called a few in during daylight hours, but not near as many as at night.  During daytime we hunt REAL thick cover while calling, at night we set up in fencerows surrounding open fields and call toward thick woods, standing corn, standing beens, CRP fields, weed fields, anything where a yote may be out hunting.  There are different types of coyote howls, the main 2 calls we use are lone female howls during breeding season, and interrogation howls all year long, challenging the dominant male/ and any other coyotes for food or "property". 

The other way that we hunt them is by performing drives... Drive around in the morning after a fresh snowfall, cut a fresh trakc, and keep driving around sections to see if he comes out, if you dont find tracks comin out we usually send 1-3 guys (depeding on cover) in on the track.  2-4 more guys get in the section and block, and 2-3 old timers stay in the trucks on the roads and watch for the coyote running about.  We communicate with CB radios while looking for tracks, and once walkers are deployed we then switch over to hand held 2 way radios to update which way the track is going, where we are at, and then when we finally jump the coyote.  After hunting coyotes for awhile you will learn that despite the hard work it takes to sometimes kill them, they're quite predictable........  We hunt all over in Lower michigan, and know the sections of wood's like the back of our hands, in MOST areas, the coyotes will travel the same ditch, fencerow, hedgeline, low spot, gully, or kneck that they always travel, this is where our sitters lay up.  99% of our yotes are killed by either the walkers, or the standers, the others get too close to the road and get whacked by the old timers.  It takes lots of permission to effectively hunt coyotes this way, but most if not all farmers/ landowners dont care if you hunt coyotes.  Its an effective way to do it.  We are 1 of 2 other bunches of guys that hunt coyotes this way AFTER deer season is done.  Last year we killed 38 yotes, the year before we killed 57 yotes and 8 fox.  Lookin at this year being another good year as we're seeing quite a few tracks already. 

The most important thing that I can tell you as starting out as a newbie is DONT get frustrated and quit..... If you're looking for the yotes to come running in in a single file line 8 at a time, you might as well not go.  Of course there are those hunts that you call for 2 seconds and 10 seconds later you're standing over a dead yote, but not very often (at least in MI) coyotes are very smart animals, they're predators, they have to be, but just like in everything else persistance pays off, and the more consistant and patient you are, the more likely it is that you will be rewarded.  Good luck.
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2009, 03:05:59 PM »
A few calls that I suggest using are made by Primos.  1 is the "hot Dog"  great howler call with removeable tube so you're able to make distress calls (rabbits, birds deer)  with it also,.

2 is the primos Lil Dog call, also a great howler with less pitch to resemble more of a female/pup coyote howl, and also produces good pup squeels and other distress calls.

3 is the Ki-Yi Great for distress animal distress calls also, and the yip of an injured pup.

4 is the double whammy, great open double reed calls... More of an excitement calls with the 2 open reeds it can either produce 2 different coyote howls at the same time, or 2 diffferent animal distress calls.
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline Bono

• Nubbie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:02:28 PM »
I should be receiving a foxpro in the mail in the coming day or two and am looking for any advice someone would have for a beginner.  I'll be hunting southwestern Montana. Mainly I need help on how to set-up for calling and what type of calling sequence I should use...I'm really looking forward to put my first predator on the ground!

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2010, 08:42:56 PM »
Bono, check out this guys website. I have no affiliation, but my uncle found it. We built a couple of his "El-Cheapo" calls and they worked real well here in NY. We ran two of his sequence calls, 16 minute sequence I think was one of them and man the coyotes came in FAST.

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

Offline Bono

• Nubbie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2010, 11:13:05 AM »
Thanks stka.  Lots of good reading on that site!

Well I'm "0 for" after my first weekend of coyoting.  We don't have any rabbitts or hares in my area, wondering if using those distress calls is worth trying or a waste of time.  Also how do people start there calling sequence with a distress call or coyote howls, or what? 

Thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal